Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Planet of the Apes (Running Press Mini Kit)
Planet of the Apes (Running Press Mini Kit)
by Running Press

5.0 out of 5 stars You did it... you finally, really did it..., 22 Aug. 2015
I'm a massive fan of the original 'Planet Of The Apes' movie, and when I saw this kit advertised, I simply had to buy it. The kit itself is well-priced for what you get, the only real issue I have with it is that it comes with a small tray for all the sand to go in, and if you're like me and leave your window open often, it can get quite messy, so I scrapped the tray and kept the kit pieces in a sealed jar.
The kit consists of a model of Taylor on a horse, the ruined statue of Liberty which plays the powerful finishing lines from the film, the aforementioned tray, and a small bag of very fine sand. It sits proudly assembled on my shelf for the world to see, and I'd recommend this to any sci-fi fan.

Marvel Select - Dr Doom Special Collector Edition Action Figure
Marvel Select - Dr Doom Special Collector Edition Action Figure
Offered by Figurine-collector-fr

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Special Edition', 22 Aug. 2015
'Special Edition', what a loose term. I bought this figure for £19.99 out of Forbidden Planet in Glasgow, since I'm a huge fan of the character of Doctor Doom.
The figure is well-sculpted and well-painted, with a fair amount of articulation. As another reviewer has pointed out, the cape is made of soft, bendable rubber, which works in the figure's favour, I find. Unlike them, I'm opposed to cloth clothing on action-figures as it always looks too bulky and loose on them. This soft rubber cape was actually a smart choice, and one I absolutely support. Sadly that's where the positives with this figure stop.
Firstly, the accessories are disappointing. The figure comes with a pair of interchangeable hands, one being splayed open like an operatic motion, and the other clutching a glass of blood-coloured liquid which I assume to be wine. The only other accessories packed with this 'Special Edition' figure is a German Mauser pistol (something which would fit the Red Skull far more than a scientist liked Doom) and an over-sized throne. Now, let's talk about the throne itself.
The second problem I have with this figure refers back to something I praised, the soft rubber cape. The designers chose to use the same material for Doom's tunic, the problem with this is that when I tried to pose the figure into a sitting position, it became impossible to do so, since the tunic got in the way and made the figure literally incapable of sitting down. To sum up, this means that the throne is an utterly useless, over-sized, pointless accessory which was nothing but a waste of plastic. It could be used for another figure, but that defeats the point of packaging it with a Doctor Doom figure.
The third problem I have with this figure is a very minor one, but one that bothered me particularly. While I praised the painting on the figure, the eyes were painted completely silver, giving it the resemblance of a Doombot as opposed to the good doctor himself. This may be restricted just to my figure, but I'd highly recommend taking a good, long, close look at the figure before you buy it.

All in all, I'd recommend this figure, but only to die-hard fans of Doctor Doom like myself. If you're just a casual Marvel fan, I don't suggest forking out the money for this figure. To sum up: good articulation, decent paint, disappointing accessories, but all in all some smart choices in the design. Not bad, but not great either. I'd say it comes up to be descried as 'good-ish'.

Red Dwarf: Series 4 [DVD] [1991]
Red Dwarf: Series 4 [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Possible complaint?, 7 July 2015
I'm very uncertain as to whether or not this is a valid complaint. The back of this DVD box, as well as every other in this 2-disc Red Dwarf DVD series, mentions that it features a collector's booklet. I opened my copy, and found the booklet wasn't there. Rather, there was a disc on each side of the inside cover, instead of having two on top of each other like the others are.
So I'm uncertain if this is a valid complaint since it mentioned the collector's book, or if it's simply a version that doesn't feature it. Either way, be careful when buying, this may not be what you expected.
Despite that, the DVD itself is of fine quality. The episodes are as hilarious as ever, the bonus features are fantastic and extensive, the easter eggs are fun, and above all else, it's Red Dwarf. What more do you need?

Star Wars The Old Republic - Revan
Star Wars The Old Republic - Revan
by Drew Karpyshyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Revan, the Dark Lord, has returned!, 8 Dec. 2013
I am not a fan of 'The Old Republic' MMO, but I'm a huge fan of the original KOTOR game, and this is a valuable inclusion to both games.
This story successfully expands upon the Revan mythos, building up his past and telling a new story which even he doesn't seem to remember, as well as filling in some blanks between the first and second KOTOR game, like how Canderous became Mandalore, etc...
Some have said that the character development is slightly off, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd recommend it to any fan of the Star Wars expanded universe, but particularly those who enjoy the 'KOTOR' games.
The book was a good price for a good quality paperback, arriving quickly at my home with no damage to the book itself.