Profile for Gabriel Oak > Reviews

Gabriel Oak (UK)

Harlequin Dream
Harlequin Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Harlequin Dream (MP3 Download)
I heard the opener Southern Sun on the Nettwerk free sampler from amazon a few weeks back, and am pleased that the whole album lives up to the standards of that excellent track. Boy & Bear have a lovely contemporary folk rock sound. Comparisons with Fleet Foxes and Mumford & Sons are fair, although perhaps more mainstream than either of those. The songs are catchy, vocals and musicianship are top notch, and the production is finely judged, being neither overblown nor too raw. Perhaps they could rock out a bit more in places, and the sax at the end of the otherwise-beautiful title track is unforgivable, but overall this is a strong album that I'm very glad to have found.

An Awesome Wave
An Awesome Wave

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but not for everyone, 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: An Awesome Wave (MP3 Download)
I can see why some people may not like this band, since the vocals are distinctive to the extent of sounding laboured. In that respect it reminds me of TV on the Radio, another original band that's not everyone's cup of tea. But for me their sound works and stands up as a great piece of originality. I thought it might start to grate after a while, but I've just become more and more attached to this album. The music is great, lyrics intelligent without being clever-clever, production superb. I don't think I've heard a better album this year.

KitSound BoomDock 2.1 Docking Station Speaker System with Built-In AM/FM Tuner and Alarm Clock Compatible with 30-Pin Apple Devices including iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S, iPod Nano 6th Generation and iPod Touch 4th Generation - Black
Offered by TotallyGadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 3 Jan. 2012
For the price, this thing is amazing. The richness of the bass sound is fantastic without being overpowering. It sounds particularly good for dance music and electronica, but also performs very well for rock and other genres. The mid-ranges lack a little clarity, I think, but nothing I would describe as woolly or muddy. Partly I think it's just the inevitable lack of spatial separation for any dock that has the two speakers close together. And you can crank it up without fear of distortion. In contrast to my previous Gear4 dock, it's made listening to music (from my iPod Classic) an absolute joy.

When I first received mine the remote didn't work, but a quick email to UK distributors Kondor got an instant response and a replacement remote the next day - great customer service there. Some of the functions are only available on the remote, e.g. bass/treble adjustments, radio preset selection.

The unit is large and heavy, which is good for bass, but not for portability! Also the lovely black finish is a dust magnet.

Four stars rather than five for only one reason: the transformer hums noticeably even when in standby mode, so I have to power it off overnight when not in use (I have the unit in my bedroom). This means I can't use the clock and alarm functions. On the plus side, it seems to remember the radio presets even when powered off, so it's not a big issue.

Memory Muscle
Memory Muscle

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Memory Muscle (MP3 Download)
Why didn't I buy this sooner? I've always liked The Bluetones, but somehow didn't get round to giving this solo record a go when it was released.
The songs here are all top notch, with great melodies. I think I was expecting it to be a stripped down 'one man and a guitar' affair, but it's beautifully produced without being over-cooked. So we still get traditional Bluetones vocal harmonies, and a full backing band: percussion, guitars and bass, of course, but also swirling Hammond, piano, cello, even mandolin scattered around the place, making a fully rounded album.
Definitely recommended for fans of the Bluetones in particular, or of finely-crafted guitar-based pop tunes in general.