Profile for Elaine > Reviews

Content by Elaine

Elaine (Cheshire)

Page: 1 | 2
AMOS 12 LED Portable Lamp Desk Work Home Office Reading Computer Bedside Table Camping Flexible Wireless Cordless Bright Light Battery Powered Torch (Black)
Offered by Nubiru

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, and cheap - and it works, 5 Nov. 2014
This is a very pretty, very reasonably-priced little lamp, perfect for adding additional light for magazines - for example where designers for some reason think pale grey is a sensible colour for fine, small, print - read at the dining table where I can't have trailing wires from a wall socket.

The Two of Us: My Life with John Thaw
The Two of Us: My Life with John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious and interesting, 5 Nov. 2014
This book has an ingenious format. I found it slightly confusing at first but the two threads made the book a real page-turner, if one thread slowed down a bit the other one picked up. A very enjoyable (though sad) read about two actors I only know from TV - it was very interesting to read about their lives in the theatre.

VANGO Dry Pak 20 Rucksack
VANGO Dry Pak 20 Rucksack
Offered by Outdoor Action Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars I kept it but it isn't like the photo, 29 April 2014
This review is from: VANGO Dry Pak 20 Rucksack (Sports)
This rucksack is very light, and can hold a lot of shopping - and it even held an A3 folder on the day it arrived, so I didn't return it. However, the material is pretty inflexible so it is awkward to fold the top, and the side pockets are very disappointing indeed. The photo looks like it will hold a water bottle, sunglasses etc but in fact the pockets are small pieces of material glued on to the main body, lying absolutely flat and very small. It's hard even to get a packet of tissues in! I bought another rucksack on the same day that this one arrived, but I kept this on the principle that you can't have too many rucksacks, they each have their purpose - the purpose of this one is to take to our walking-distance supermarket, not what I expected when I read the review in a camping magazine and ordered it!

Cornwall and Its People: Cornish Seafarers. Cornwall and the Cornish. Cornish Homes and Customs
by A.K.Hamilton Jenkin

5.0 out of 5 stars As interesting as any historical novel!, 10 Nov. 2013
This wonderful book - in fact three separate books bound together for this edition - just happened to be in a holiday cottage in Cornwall this summer. I've been doing some family history research into my husband's Cornish ancestry, and for background into how they might have lived over the past two hundred years this book couldn't be better. I immediately ordered it so it was at home when we got back, but I read it completely, just like a novel, while we were on holiday. The fact that the original books were written in the thirties makes it all the better - the author spoke to people who were alive 50 or 60 years earlier, so it has vivid eyewitness accounts of both tragic and hilarious events, as well as facts and stories from Jenkin's documentary research. The scholarship is immaculate, with all sources referenced, but it is a lot more than just a reference book. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Cornwall, even without family connections.

One Step Ahead
One Step Ahead
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for specific purpose, and succeeded, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: One Step Ahead (Hardcover)
I needed a dish for a party Brunch that I could cook ahead - this had Tartiflette, and it succeeded brilliantly. There are lots of others for future occasions, all look easy, lots of good ideas.

Brunch Entertaining
Brunch Entertaining
by Janeen Sarlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Some useful recipes but...., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Brunch Entertaining (Hardcover)
This was second hand, and very cheap - bought for a Brunch party, there aren't many cookery books with 'Brunch' in the title. It had some good ideas but I was looking for dishes that could be prepared for large numbers in advance, there weren't many of these. But I will keep it on my shelves.

Hostess Alficionado large hot tray
Hostess Alficionado large hot tray

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly fit for the purpose, 25 Mar. 2013
I bought this because I wanted to keep dishes hot for a party, from before people arrived until the dishes were required. It did all of this exactly as I had hoped. It's usefully large, but isn't too heavy to carry to get it out and put it back - in storage under a bed, in my case! We were very pleased with the hot tray.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does all it promises, 4 Sept. 2011
I've bought money belts before but none has lasted long, for various reasons. So I didn't have high hopes for this one - but it's really good. The 'sliding buckle' was new to me, but is amazingly easy to use and flatter than most buckles. The belt is quite thin, unlike some money belts, and comfortable. The only thing I would like different is that it is a bit too wide for some of my belt loops. And a bit of a nuisance - but inevitable - is that security checks really don't like the rather large metal buckle!

Pacsafe MetroSafe 200 Secure Shoulder Bag - Black
Pacsafe MetroSafe 200 Secure Shoulder Bag - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Not glamorous but works perfectly, 31 Dec. 2009
I almost returned this as soon as I unpacked it, but it arrived about an hour before I was setting off to the airport - so I transferred all my stuff and took it with me, using it from the start. I haven't stopped using it ever since, it really does work very well indeed, there seems to be a place for everything, and what's more I can find everything that's in it. The security aspects haven't been tested, thank goodness, but it did feel safer on my travels. I'd like the fabric to be a bit more elegant, but overall I can't think of any criticisms, I love it.

Emergency Wind Up Mobile Phone/Ipod/Iphone Charger - Built In Torch
Emergency Wind Up Mobile Phone/Ipod/Iphone Charger - Built In Torch

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing charger, excellent torch, 31 Dec. 2009
This is a very good, small, wind-up torch so I didn't send it back. However, we have tried to charge phones and an iPod - and didn't manage to make a phone call or listen to a minute's music! Maaybe we didn;t try hard enough, but somehow the body of the gadget isn't terribly comfortable to hold, and the winding handle is quite small. Disappointing overall, I'm afraid.

Page: 1 | 2