Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for annoyingmouse > Reviews

Content by annoyingmouse

annoyingmouse "Dominic Myers" (Ely, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Alien Summer
Alien Summer
by R.W. Bayley

4.0 out of 5 stars Only getting better, 31 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Alien Summer (Paperback)
Only once in a while do you read something that makes you question your own mental health... did I really just read that? Am I sure I should be feeling like this after that? Dhalgren and The Quantity Theory of Insanity did it to me and, for some reason best left unexplored, so did watching the recent remake of I Spit on Your Grave. Alien Summer by Robert Bayley did it to me too... I was reading sections - particularly those in the desert - and started to confuse myself with what was real and what wasn't, how had I as the reader, and Jim as the protagonist, got here? Putting the book down was a little like waking after a long nights sleep after taking Night Nurse and while wearing your most comfortable and warm poorly jumper; a huge relief! Though a relief tinged with confusion.

As a writer, he's just getting better and better and the story just flows beautifully with any lapses being perfectly in keeping with the overall story. Sometimes slightly purple in language but not overly and the bits where Jim was falling in and out of memories were tantalising: we see him as a down-and-out but there is a whole history there that we're given glimpses of - we see so much more than a snapshot of a person.

Spring-Clean by Proxy
Spring-Clean by Proxy
by Robert Bayley

4.0 out of 5 stars I kept waiting for the happy ending... you should too!, 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Spring-Clean by Proxy (Paperback)
Spring-Clean by ProxyA little like The Girl with all the Gifts but with less hope. Slightly, and I mean ever-so-slightly, disjointed at times but on the whole a thoroughly engaging read with a male doing a really rather marvellous female perspective. This is something I've been thinking about for a while and I really couldn't tell that the author was male, not that one should with good writing as both "voices" are human, but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try. I do so look forward to reading his next works as he can only get better!

I'm reticent to go into more of the story but he seems to share Stephen Baxter's joy in destruction and it's effects on the people observing the chaos. The effects of the changing physical environment and the changing mental states of the characters are perfectly captured in the prose and I caught myself re-reading sections to try and figure out how he'd captured the feeling not only in the words but in their structure - an excellent and engaging read!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars No frills, 17 Mar. 2016
Does just what it needs to - not sure how long it will last but no fiddling around means it just works.

Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation

4.0 out of 5 stars It Rocks!, 17 Mar. 2016
Our gas bills will likely go up but we're ever-so-much warmer. Odd issue with the installation but that was down to the system it was being installed into rather than the Nest.

Descent
Descent

5.0 out of 5 stars Scottish independence..., 27 April 2014
This review is from: Descent (Kindle Edition)
... should be stopped in light of this book. How can we allow them to leave when they write this well!

Dead in France
Dead in France
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a squint, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Dead in France (Amazon Video)
Excellent if very, very bloody. Slapstick violence was rarely this well done. Really good fun in all honesty and worth an hour and a half of anyone's time as long as they've got a strong stomach!

Alien Raiders
Alien Raiders
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Low budget..., 22 April 2014
This review is from: Alien Raiders (Amazon Video)
... but the cast, direction and writing are totally cool. Worth a crack! Spent a happy evening exploring the low budget films on Amazon Prime and this was by far the best.

The Decapaphiliac
The Decapaphiliac

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual wattage, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Decapaphiliac (Kindle Edition)
Not since I discovered an old collection of Tales of the Unexpected stories on my Grandad's bedside table have I enjoyed a short story collection as much as this one. Most especially as this collection didn't leave me feeling slightly seedy, steeped in the 1970's and full of ennui. Mr Weinle has a fine turn of phrase and a delicacy of style that left me feeling uplifted by all of his stories... even the slightly disturbing title story - which promised to be seedy but ended up leaving me feeling refreshed and hopeful - I think I'm slightly disappointed by not being more disgusted in all honesty.

I think The Disassociate was wonderful, especially as it held so very many resonances with my previous career as a psychiatric nurse and I'm pretty sure that I've met some of the management types in it. I thought that leaving my previous career would mean that I'd spend less time with psychopaths, not more!

The Glasses Adjuster is lovely too, a proper feeling of fairytale going on there and it left me feeling all warm of snuggly.

All of the stories were brilliant but these three stood out for me, and for this price you can't go wrong... after all Mr Weinle has to make enough to keep on feeding his cottage bulbs of unusual wattage.

Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse Book 2)
Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another corker!, 21 July 2013
Just when I feel that Mr Stross has reached the pinnacle of his game he goes and surpasses himself again. A pure joy!

Kzine Issue 3
Kzine Issue 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly good show, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Kzine Issue 3 (Kindle Edition)
I'm writing this review, not because I promised to after getting a free t-shirt from the publisher, but because it was utterly brilliant. This mixture of stories and, sometimes, genres within each story was refreshing and I particularly enjoyed the Noir Occult Detective story! Each was top-notch and I can't recommend this Zine enough!

I'm not sure what else to say except I've bought the odd issue of Asimov's and not been able to sit and read though all the stories - here I did! Just the right length, not too much and not too little!

The only criticism would be the odd copy edit issue in the last story - but I'm a pedant.

Page: 1 | 2