Profile for John McCracken > Reviews

Content by John McCracken

John McCracken "johnpmccracken" (Darvel, Scotland)

More Than Argentina: The Authorised Biography of Ally MacLeod
More Than Argentina: The Authorised Biography of Ally MacLeod
by Ronnie McDevitt

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a footballer, 7 Oct. 2014
In my mind the book should have been called "More than Ayr United" as my footballing passion was born when Ally was Mr Ayr United. What I didnt know was that it was his 3rd spell in Ayr. In fact great parts of this book alerted me to a story of Scottish football outside of the old firm and not just Ally McLeod. That story however was a side story to the incredible career of Ally both at club and national level. You can always tell a model professional, and more importantly, human being, when no matter where they went or what they did they left friends and admirers and Ally did that. This is a great read and a tale no just of a professional life in football but also that of a true gentleman.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2016 2:28 PM BST

Blackened Sky
Blackened Sky

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than A Paris Match Burger, 28 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Blackened Sky (Audio CD)
I have to admit to waiting a couple of months before buying blackened sky but when I did was more than happy with what I heard. Biffy gave us an album we can jump up and down to and sing along to at the same time something which is sadly missing with alot of todays bands especially those that are "closer" to home. keep up the good tunes guys and the hospitality.

This Side
This Side

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes, 29 Nov. 2002
This review is from: This Side (Audio CD)
I ordered the import version of this album straight from .com as I am a huge fan of Nickel Creek and have been to see them both times theyve been to Britain.I was highly impressed again that Nickel Creek had produced a superb album.Obviously due to record company pressure they had to make an album with more songs less handclappers.This is a shame because the the handclappers are half the fun but the songs dont dissapoint with Chris Thile and Sean Watkins writing brilliantly. Stand out tracks have to be the pavement cover Spit On A Stranger (which let me assure you is better than the original)and the title track This Side.So buy this album please and fund real talent in the music industry

Nickel Creek
Nickel Creek
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Bored of the mondaine try nickle creek, 8 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Nickel Creek (Audio CD)
Having heard Nickle Creeks "the Lighthouse's Tale" on BBC's Top Of the Pops Two I was impressed enough to order their album. I was worried that when I had ordered this album from Amazon I had bought one of those albums with one good song. I shouldnt have been. What I got was an explosion of brand new musical ideas working under the bluegrass genre. Put quite simply Chris Thile, Sean Watkins and sister Sara Watkins have produced an album that has rekindled my belief that the music industry can still surprise us with real talent every now and then. All great singers and incredible musicians Nickle Creek have a vivality and youthful freshness that will have you hooked on thier modern slant on bluegrass. This is a band that obviously have influences outside of their genre which mixed with their incredible talent and ability to write songs has created surely the first of what will hopefully become many must buy albums.

Tremors/Tremors 2 - Aftershocks [VHS] [1996]
Tremors/Tremors 2 - Aftershocks [VHS] [1996]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic American Trash, 16 Jun. 2001
Tremors the movie was and still is a classic. Its one of those movies that surprises you with its humour even though it looks at times like it should have been released straight to video.The special affects are nothing special but who cares. Tremors 2 is a surprise as well. We are minus Kevin Bacon this time but despite an almost carbon copy story line there are a few twists and some Humour from Fred Ward (Remo Unarmed And Dangerous) which will have you falling of your seat. Both films woul individually warrant only 4 Stars but together this is a five star package.

Pay It Forward
Pay It Forward

5.0 out of 5 stars Musically Sound, 3 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Pay It Forward (Audio CD)
Most of the music on this soundtrack was written by Thomas Newman one of Hollywoods finest composers who gave us the music for Erin Brokovich and American Beauty. With haunting instrumentals and touching tracks from the likes of Jane Siberry with K D lang it is a must for soundtrack buffs and music fans alike