Profile for pia > Reviews

pia

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Clock, 25cm
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Clock, 25cm

5.0 out of 5 stars just as described, 10 Feb. 2014
not much to say.- it is an excellent kitchen clock- that's all- so far so good- worked as soon as I put the battery in.

Penny Dreadful
Penny Dreadful
by Penelope Nelson

2.0 out of 5 stars Snob, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Penny Dreadful (Paperback)
The author seems to think she is important the more names she drops- she trys to talk herself around the fact that she was brought up as a priveleged person in the upper class . No didn't like it

Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems (Penguin Modern Classics)
Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Allen Ginsberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius Ginsberg, 26 Nov. 2013
Nothing to say after all these years- pure genius- a poetry master- should have read it in my youth- but better late than never

The Sighs of a Mouse
The Sighs of a Mouse
by Paul Chappell

5.0 out of 5 stars Battling depression and still able to make others smile and laugh-, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Sighs of a Mouse (Paperback)
I know that the author took his life and left us his essays and stories. I think that people with mental illness may find his writings enlightening about care systems and their flaws. He also has a humourous appraoch to the care system- not all the stories are about it. His writing reveals a person who thought deeply about life (and death) and his angle on seemingly everyday occurences and human relationships are treated with great wit. His stories and essays are unique and coloured by a rare form for humour.
Absolutely worth reading. Personally I think this man was a genius.

Poetry On Tap
Poetry On Tap
by Luigi Pagano

4.0 out of 5 stars A love of words, 22 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Poetry On Tap (Paperback)
A lighthearted look at the present and history in poetry and life in general- amusing and it is a pleasure to read the poet's eloquent expressions. Pagano is clearly devoted to language and words. A true master of poetry.

Infinite Sky
Infinite Sky
by C. J. Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable debut., 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Infinite Sky (Paperback)
Only being a layman (woman!) I have to say that this story had me gripped from start to finish. I think the author made such relevant character descriptions. Flood's protagonist is a warm, intelligent teenager whose emotional upheavals are described precisely and I am sure she is not off mark. I read this book in one go and was fascinated all the way through. There's drama and calm in even balance. It is a deeply moving story with great social relevans. As a debut novel it is a very good start and I will be interested to read any more coming from C.J. Flood in the future. I will be on the look out.

Heft
Heft
by Liz Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars More Moore, 6 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Heft (Paperback)
This is an excellently written story. Gripping, touching. I enjoyed it immensely. I intend to order more books by Liz Moore asap.

Whispers in the Sand
Whispers in the Sand
by Barbara Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant novel, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Whispers in the Sand (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down. It was so full of suspense and with such interesting details about Egypt; the temples and monuments from way back when, modern Egypt and a view of 19th century english lifestyle in a foreign country (Egypt). I would definitely recommend this novel to others. Well written and researched.

50 Artists You Should Know: From Giotto to Warhol (50 You Should Know)
50 Artists You Should Know: From Giotto to Warhol (50 You Should Know)
by Thomas Koster

5.0 out of 5 stars An artbook for beginners, 8 Sept. 2012
I was most pleased to recieve this introduction to some of the most famous artists ever. It was easy to read and had exactly the information about these artists that I could digest. Definitely a beginner book but that is where I am at at the moment. I would recommend it to anyone who needs an easy introduction to some of the big artists of our western civilisation.

From Dictatorship to Democracy
From Dictatorship to Democracy
by Gene Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise words, 8 Sept. 2012
Knowing this book has been used as a sort of guidelines to among other political take-overs such as The Arab Spring, I read this book with great interest. It can be read as a wise introduction to thinking differently of the consequences of non.violent dissent.I wish it were more widely spread as there still are some countries in the world which could use this powerful message to have their dictatorships overthrown.