Profile for J. Bates > Reviews

Content by J. Bates

J. Bates (London, United Kingdom)

Antidepressant
Antidepressant

4.0 out of 5 stars Back To Form, 2 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Antidepressant (Audio CD)
I'm glad I waited a while before submitting a review as this album is a grower. I wasn't too keen on Lloyds last album, but for me this is a real return to form. Whereas the last album seemed a little bleak and cold, this is warmer and more melodious. The epic sounding 'NYC Sunshine' is a stand out track, as is the quieter and strangely evocative 'Travelling Light' which sounds instantly familiar. 'Antidepressant' is a return to Lloyds early New York days and 'Woman In A Bar' is the type of wordy and complex track for which Lloyd is probably best known and admired. The arrangments are superb and several of the tracks benefit from the input of Neil Clark (ex Commotion), whose guitar playing really is something else. This album combines all of the things I like so much about Lloyds work and I think it's his best for over a decade.

Late Night Final
Late Night Final

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2001., 27 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Late Night Final (Audio CD)
This album is a stunner. Other people have compared his style to McCullogh, Sinatra. I'd throw Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash and Chris Isaac in there too. Such a variety is no bad thing as the end result is truly original, and the quality of songs brilliant. The single 'Baby you're my light' is an old fashioned and timeless classic, and the obvious hit on the album. 'Long Black Train' and 'Love of my life' are just two of the standout tracks, but every track is good and it's not often you can say that about an album. I've played this CD to several friends and all of them have bought it. It's a real grower and I cant wait for the next album.

Bad Vibes
Bad Vibes
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Lloyd's underated gem., 18 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Bad Vibes (Audio CD)
This seems to be one of Lloyd's more unpopular albums and I too was unsure about it when I bought it on its release. However over time this album has grown on me, and I now consider it to be one of his best.
The production is superb, and repeated listening reveals new things with every play. Stand out tracks for me include 'Seen The Future' 'Can't Get Arrested' and of course the single 'So You'd Like To Save The World'. A slightly different Lloyd album perhaps, but a great one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2015 8:05 PM BST