Profile for MarkW > Reviews

GEM Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55, DMC-TZ60, DMC-ZS35, DMC-ZS40
GEM Camera Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55, DMC-TZ60, DMC-ZS35, DMC-ZS40
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well-designed camera bag, 25 May 2014
When I bought my camera, the camera bags offered to me in the shop seemed expensive or very basic. This bag is well padded, fairly roomy, has a zip up compartment at the front that should take a camera battery and spare memory cards and seems pretty robust - all at a reasonable cost.

Never Saw it Coming
Never Saw it Coming

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual standard, 6 Feb. 2014
I have read a number of Linwood Barclay books and, although they are sometimes a bit far-fetched, I have always found them to be pacey, engaging and entertaining reads. On the basis of the description on the back of the book this seems like a good idea for a story: fake psychic accidentally comes up with information that matches what really happened in a missing persons case. However, although Linwood Barclay books do normally move fast, this one moves much too fast and there is minimal time spent on character development or exploring the situation in more detail. Book therefore seemed rushed, short and failed to engage. I never saw that coming...

Dead Man Down [DVD]
Dead Man Down [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Thriller, 25 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dead Man Down [DVD] (DVD)
Watch the trailer and you expect a fairly mindless all-action shoot-'em-up thriller and that is why I got this DVD. I was therefore (pleasantly) surprised to find that there was a lot more to this film than that, and once I had adapted to this change, I found this to be a well acted and intriguing revenge story with both main protagonists after revenge on different people, for different reasons, and both ultimately realising that revenge on its own was probably not all that they needed.

Blart
Blart
by Dominic Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated Children's Fantasy, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Blart (Hardcover)
'Blart, the boy who didn't want to save the world' tells the story of a young pig farmer forced to join a quest to save the world when all he really wants to do is carry on looking after his pigs. The story is imaginative and laugh out loud funny in places. My only criticism is that it is to my view unnecessarily violent in places - Nothing that major on an adult scale, and lots of children are quite happy with that sort of thing, but reading it with a young child I edited out a few bits. Still a very enjoyable children's read.

Tooth for a Tooth (DCI Andy Gilchrist Book 3)
Tooth for a Tooth (DCI Andy Gilchrist Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Read, 2 Nov. 2013
When I read this I had not realised that this was the third in the series and perhaps if I had read the other two first then this would have worked better for me. The story start off well with DI Gilchrist investigating the discovery of an old skeleton and in doing so finding links to his own past. As the story progresses Gilchrist seems to spend more time on his own investigation, and any idea of a structure Police investigation / processes seems to disappear from the picture. There was some character development through his relationship to his children and past partners but having not read the previous two books some of the background was unclear to me. The antipathy of one of his colleagues (perhaps explained in previous books?) seem to come out of nowhere and both their behaviours seemed to lose plausibility. As the book progressed I began to lose track of the characters who were involved in events preceding the original crime and discovery of the real villain had little impact. I kept reading to the end but this was not one of the better crime stories that I have read. Based on other reviews I may still give the other two a go though,

Chinese Birthday Card - Assorted Designs
Chinese Birthday Card - Assorted Designs
Offered by Got-Bonsai?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Chinese Card, 17 Aug. 2013
I wants to buy this card to give to someone who is learning Chinese so it was important to me that it had the wording in Chinese (and English) which it was. On Amazon a number of different card designs are shown but there appears to be no way of choosing which one - so the one I received was good, but not the one that I really wanted. Card is good quality with Greeting inside in English and Chinese.

Jack Reacher [DVD]
Jack Reacher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Book Adaption, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books since I read the first one, and had some concerns when I heard one of the books was being made into a film. Could they get the right actor to play Jack Reacher and would they actually stick to the plot, or just combine elements from the books to make some generic action film? Now having seen the film, Tom Cruise is not how I would visualise the Jack Reacher character but in my view has a creditable attempt at portraying him. Also, although it is some time since I read the book, I believe the film does stick fairly close to the book - so I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure what the cause was, but to me some of the dramatic impact I would have expected was missing in some of the scenes, so this was not the best interpretation of the book I could imagine, but it was enjoyable to watch and I could imagine it being done a lot, lot worse....

Sightseers [DVD] [2012]
Sightseers [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Alice Lowe

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Engaging and Funny, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sightseers [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Sightseers tells the story of oddly matched couple Chris (Steve Oram) and Tina (Alice Lowe) as they head off on a caravan trip to see such attractions as tram museums, caverns and pencil museums. The film start is effective and low key as the couple pack leaving behind Tina's objecting and objectionable mum, who initially seems the most dysfunctional of the three. As they encounter various irritations along the way Chris's behaviour becomes more erratic and violent soon to be matched if not surpassed by Tina's. I do not generally like black comedies to be too black and this is very black - but I did enjoy this one. The violence is detailed and gory which in some ways seemed unnecessary, but arguably this is required to avoid glossing over the impact of the couples actions. Although the transition of the characters did not quite work for me in places, it was an interesting development of the plot and the film had some great dialogue and had me laughing out loud on several occasions e.g. the pencil factory postcard. I though the soundtrack was effective and expect that I will be watching this one again.

95.8 Capital FM's Party In The Park For The Prince's Trust
95.8 Capital FM's Party In The Park For The Prince's Trust
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 29 Jun. 2013
'Party in the Park - The Album of the Event' Implies to me that there should be some live tracks from the event. There aren't. What a rip-off.

Talking to the Dead: Fiona Griffiths Crime Thriller Series Book 1
Talking to the Dead: Fiona Griffiths Crime Thriller Series Book 1
by Harry Bingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Crime Series, 23 Jun. 2013
I had not read any other books by this author before, but I am very glad I picked up this one. DC Fiona Griffiths is a great character. the first few pages recounting her interview for the Police brilliantly introduces her, showing an interesting personality, and dropping hints at more interesting aspects in her background. The plot follows her obsession with a murder and persistence in trying to solve it. The story is told in an engaging way with a great deal of humour and we learn more about Fiona's family, friends and past. Her relationship with an ex-policemen adds a great thread to the story. I really enjoyed this book and my only criticism would be that Fiona seems to get away with rather more questionable behaviour, and disregard for Police procedure than seems realistic. Still really looking forward to the next one in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15