Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for MarkW > Reviews

Content by MarkW

MarkW "WGCReviewer" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Big in Japan (Bonustrack)
Big in Japan (Bonustrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Interpretation, 18 July 2011
I love the original of this song, but in it's own way I rate this alongside the original. Slower, with minimal accompaniment, and very distinctive vocals, this does not replace the orignal but provides a whole different experience which is no less enjoyable.

Harry, Rabbit on the Run
Harry, Rabbit on the Run
by Adam Frost

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Children's Book, 18 July 2011
A humourous and engaging story about the adventures of a group of rabbits trying to return home after being carried away by a hawk. Has great characters and some really good comic moments, so not only were the children enjoying it - but Ienjoyed reading it as well.

A Week in December
A Week in December
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Original, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: A Week in December (Paperback)
Unlike a lot of the reviewers of this book I had not previously read anything by Sebastian Faulks before so perhaps had very different (very few) expectations. I must admit that after the first few pages I did almost give it up as the start did just not grip me, with what was almost a 'cast list' given to introduce many of the characters (presented as a list of people to invite to a party)- but I am very glad I persevered. The idea of following the stories of a group of people over a short period of time has been done before, but I really liked the characters and the ways that they their lives crossed in many small or major ways. Some of the satire was a bit heavier than I expected but there were for me both some very funny and insightful moments. Others have mentioned the use of games, musical groups, social networking sites etc used in the story that are named differently from similar things that really exist, which does seem odd, but I think is understanadable if you are writing a book that satirises some of these things. I did not totally follow the details of the financial side of the story, and the City may be an easy target, but I beleive that the story has a point that is worth making. Given that the book takes place within a single week some aspects of the ending are implied without perhaps getting the full story, but this worked for me and I really enjoyed the book. Maybe this is an atypical Faulks book in which case I'm not sure how I would get on with the others!

Crawley and Horsham (OS Explorer Map)
Crawley and Horsham (OS Explorer Map)
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Walking Map, 30 May 2011
I came across this range of maps recently on a walking holiday and was very impressed. Scale is ideal for walkers and with both the well known named walks marked and the smaller footpaths it makes it very easy to adjust your walk to meet your requirements e.g. cut the corner of a walk when the weather turnes, or add little diversions when you feel up for a longer walk. I have now purchased a number of them for other areas for my nect walking holiday.

Canon PowerShot A3100 IS Digital Camera - Silver (12.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 Inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Camera, 30 May 2011
I have been using Canon Powershot cameras for many years now and on the whole I have been very satisfied. However I do think that a number of changes have not been for the better. On the plus side:
- Great pictures generally
- Surprisingly good sometimes in low light conditions
- Lots of creative options.
On the down side:
- No optical viewfinder
- Smaller not always better (more solid older version gave much greater stablility) I don't need my camera to be that small.
- Non-standard Canon battery - with my previous Powershots I had rechargeable AA batteries and in an emergency there was never an ocasion when I was not able to find spares. While the battery life of the canon battery seems good - if I am not expecting to use the camera, the battery does not get charged and on probably 1/3 of occasions I have used it, the battery has run out on me, which with no option for spares (unless I splash out on a canon spares)is very frustrating.
- General critisism of many cameras - flash defaults to on. In vast majority of situations I want flash off and I am happy to switch it on when I need it.
So a good camera but in some aspects a step back from previous versions.

Submarine
Submarine
by Joe Dunthorne

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and funny, 29 May 2011
This review is from: Submarine (Paperback)
I recently bought a copy of this book having forgotten that I had read it berfore, but then happily read it for a second time. I found it very well written - the first few pages drew me in both times round - and had one or two laugh out loud moments. The quality of the writing and the humour did, in my view, make up for the plot meandering at times. I thought I had reached the natural end of the story only to find there were several more chapters to go, exploring another direction. My only real criticisn though is that while the implication seemed to be that this is a story of a normal-ish youth struggling through some of his teenage years, it seemed to me that the protagonist was perhaps more seriously disturbed than your average youth, with a surprising lack of empathy for those around him. Maybe this was intended, but to me it made the character less likeable and the story slightly less satisfying. Still a very enjoyable read and I am sure I will pick it up and read it again, intentionally or not!

Deja Vu [DVD]
Deja Vu [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Time Travel Film, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Deja Vu [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst time travel is a common enough film plot and the implications of time travel being possible has been explored with various degrees of success in those films, I thought the way that this was handled in this film to be extremely effective. If you go with the basic premise of the movie then I found that the film develops in a satisfying way. Maybe not the best film in terms of strong characterisations, but a solid performance by the key players, and it kept me intrigued right to the end. An entertaining watch.

Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
by Stuart MacBride

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the series, 13 May 2011
I have enjoyed all the previous books in this series and this was another great read. Logan McRae is a brilliant fictional characters and I like the fact that he is clearly fallable - in fact most of the characters in the book are. The interactions between the characters are always interesting and there were several laugh-out-loud moments. The pace of the book is fairly frantic at times and the accounts of multiple interviews was effective I thought - introducing a number of diverse characters who might or might not be relevant later on. Maybe not the best plot of the series but still I really enjoyed it.

Three and Out [DVD]
Three and Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mackenzie Crook
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Comedy Drama, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Three and Out [DVD] (DVD)
If I had seen this in the cinema I would probably have come away slightly underwhelmed - but viewing it as a typical British comedy drama (emphasis on the drama) I think it's really pretty good. Although perhaps light on the comedy it does have some very funny moments and the story engaged me and always kept me interested in the characters. When I read the plot synopsis I wondered if this would be too black a comedy for my tastes, but apart from the strange Frenchman (which seemed to me not to add much to the story) the plot is not as dark as I had thought. You could perhaps predict the way the story twists but I found it a dramatic and effective ending. Great performances by Colm Meaney and Imelda Staunton in particular, and a well chosen soundtrack help make the film. Set your expectations right and this might be worth a watch.

Derailed [DVD] [2005]
Derailed [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Derailed [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I read the book on which this us based some time ago and really enjoyed it - and was a bit apprehensive about how the film would match the book - particularly as I am not really a fan of Jennifer Anniston. However I was very impressed with how well the film matched the book, as far as I can remember, and how good the two leads were in these roles. The bad guys are very violent and a great sense of menace builds through the film making the lead characters responses to the situation seem more believable. His awareness of the real situation came a lot quicker than in the book, which is one minor citicism that I have, and the interaction between him and the Police officer could have been better, but still a great film interpretation of a great story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15