Profile for MUSIC MAD > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Chess In Concert
Chess In Concert

2.0 out of 5 stars WHERE'S PAIGE WHEN YOU NEED HER??, 9 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Chess In Concert (Audio CD)
Having seen Wicked and been enthralled with it and the cast both here and in NY I was stunned by the performance from Idina Menzel as Florence. Kerry Ellis should have sung the role, firstly you would have heard the words which are pretty important in this show. For diction just listen to the original album or the Danish cast recording. We didn't realise in 1986 how very lucky we were to have the cast we had and their replacements. Elaine Paige's voice is now much deeper and she couldn't sing this piece as she could in 86/87 but where's the richness of tone, secure & firm vocal line and above all the opportunity to listen to the lyrics. Had tickets, but couldn't go in the end and let them go, it's just as well I'd have been bitterly disappointed. If this is revived it has to be Kerry without question. The men fared much better, orchestra great. My original will be as ever closest to the CD player..............

Bellini: Norma
Bellini: Norma

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT EQUALLED, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Bellini: Norma (Audio CD)
So there does seem to be two camps for Norma the very dramatic telling of the tale or the thrillingly sung version. There are strong arguments for both. I love the Caballe version on DVD and on RCA, but my introduction to this magnificent piece was this Sutherland version which is sensational in every way. Actually, for Sutherland I think she portrays Norma very well & if I'd been lucky enough to see her in the theatre in this role I would probably have been blown away. My only experience of this opera live was the excellent Scottish Opera production with Jane Eaglen, wonderfully sung but barely any movement or heavy drama involved.
This is a must for all Sutherland fans and anyone who loves great singing, but you may also need another version for the gritty drama!!

Legendary Performances
Legendary Performances

4.0 out of 5 stars A GIFT, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Legendary Performances (Audio CD)
I put this on my wish list as a curiosity and thankfully I had it bought for my birthday. Terrific atmosphere in these discs. It was shamefull I know, the first time I had ever heard the legendary Lucrezia. Stunning performance and a great sound for an older recording. I was familiar with the Norma, I really enjoyed her Strauss but the Gemma di Vergy and my favourite Adriana Lecouvreur finds her in tip top form and with Domingo it's absolute magic. For this price you need this if you are a fan.
I like this series and might try one or two of the others.

La Traviata [Complete] (Pretre, Caballe)
La Traviata [Complete] (Pretre, Caballe)
Offered by rwl-123

5.0 out of 5 stars CABALLE A DREAM, 21 Nov. 2008
When I first got into opera, going to see it and listening to it, Caballe was still very much the performing prima donna. I was lucky enough to see her with Pavarotti in Un Ballo en Maschera at CG. She had a fantastic voice, terrific control, a big warm sound that in her big moments were truly thrilling. For years & years I have looked at this set and wondered and bought others! So with the new trend of lighter, thinner voices taking on this role (nothing wrong with that, they often do sound much younger) what a fantastic discovery this recording is. Packed with full throated, full throttle singing by all three principals that go to make this thrilling drama come alive. The balance between the three is just right and they are all in tip top form. I have, as I said several other sets, but I urge you to buy this and listen in wonderment at the sheer glory of these voices. This issue has excellent sound and every lover of great singing should own it.
Buy it, it's an order!!

Puccini: Il Trittico
Puccini: Il Trittico

5.0 out of 5 stars THRILLING, 21 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Puccini: Il Trittico (Audio CD)
This is an exceptional recording of Il Trittico. Let's hope we manage to see a production at Covent Garden while Pappano is in residence. The casting is excellent. Il Tabarro has some stunning moments and the duet between Guleghina & Shicoff is one of them, overall this ensemble piece is terrific and full of atmosphere. Suor Angelica is a challenging role for any soprano but Gallardo Domas who has made this role very much her own in recent years is a fine interpreter and is surrounded by an excellent company. Il Trittico my least favourite comes up well on this recording and every performance makes this comedy sparkle. There are other versions of these operas, but as a set this is very definitely the best on the market. The Tebaldi set is still a good buy, but for a modern sound with top class vocals it has to be this one. Go on, you need this set!!

Puccini: Turandot
Puccini: Turandot

4.0 out of 5 stars VINTAGE, 21 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Puccini: Turandot (Audio CD)
I came to this recording after purchasing several others. It has to be one of the most thrilling and as the reviewer above comments no heavy throbbing voices that mar so many other recordings. These voices cut straight through the orchestra when they need to and pull back as required, even Del Monaco. It does get tiresome to hear the constant complaining about del Monaco if only we had a couple of his like around today......we haven't. Inge Borkh was a new voice to me, but she has a warmth in her performance that only Joan Sutherland in the newer Decca recording achieves. Yet throughout In Questa Reggia she is formidable. For the price alone it's a great buy. Vintage recording at it's thrilling best.

Verdi:  Il Trovatore [DVD]
Verdi: Il Trovatore [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vienna State Orchestra And Choir
Offered by BeEntertained

5.0 out of 5 stars THRILLING, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Verdi: Il Trovatore [DVD] (DVD)
This Trovatore is the most thrilling I have ever seen on DVD. Everyone is on top form and as the very detailed reviewer above says you really would be very lucky to find a cast to match this today. I liked the production but the thrill is the singing, Cossotto is stunning and her scenes with Domingo are matchless. Terrific stuff I would recommend it without a doubt as the best available.

Joan Sutherland : The Reluctant Prima Donna [DVD]
Joan Sutherland : The Reluctant Prima Donna [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joan Sutherland
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars LA STUPENDA, 12 Sept. 2008
Whatever comes along from the JS stable we have to treasure as she was an incredible performer for such a long time. It is unfortunate we don't have many DVD's of her work in the 60's & 70's when she was obviously at her very peak but glimpses of anything are better than nothing. Careers come and go so quickly now but this DVD is a reminder of why she was so popular and successful for so long. Having a reputation for being our Joanie but at the same time never suffering fools, she was a diva in the true sense of the word. Could actually have watched for longer, I'm sure they could have found more material, never mind, see this it's excellent!!

Puccini: Tosca
Puccini: Tosca
Offered by thegreatergoods

4.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Puccini: Tosca (Audio CD)
This is without doubt the best of the most recent versions of Tosca. Everyone is on tip top form and Pappano really excels in this music. There really isn't a weak link in this set. I did think Raimondi may be past his best but his performance is excellent. What happened to Angela between this recording and her performance at CG in the role we may never know, but there is no comparison between this top flight performance and the one she phoned in when I saw her at Covent Garden. Buy this set it is glorious.

Puccini - La Rondine / Gheorghiu, Alagna, Matteuzzi, Mula, Rinaldi, Ciofi, Bacelli, Spence, LV, LSO, Pappano

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE, 12 Sept. 2008
This is a must have set for lovers of opera but also Puccini fans who may not know this work very well. Have been lucky enough to see the Covent Garden and Opera North productions in recent years. It's a mystery to me why people are still so sniffy about it. On these discs as in the theatre Angela Gheorghiu is a magnificent Magda and on this occasion her husband rises to the challenge of singing with his wife. This along with Il Trittico is one of Pappano's greatest successes on disc, buy it and you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3