Profile for The Rabbi > Reviews

The Rabbi

Fabric 49
Fabric 49

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, dubby and epic., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Fabric 49 (Audio CD)
I came to this mix with absolutely no preconceptions about either it or Magda on the whole. I'm really getting into Techno/Tech House these days and the fabric series seems to be one of the most consistent, enjoyable and rewarding collection, so I bought this on a whim as I liked the cover.

It's becoming an absolute favourite of mine. I love albums/mixes which have a sustained vibe all the way through, and the darker the better. On these points it does not disappoint. The beautiful/strange axis of the intimately mixed tracks on here is so well balanced, the gorgeous bass flowing in and out of the semi-linear beats like musical poetry. It's not a mix that builds and builds up to a crescnedo like most, but one continuous vibe. On that count, it may not be to everyone's taste, but fans of Matthew Dear as Audion's 27 (of which I see this as a less minimal but more focused take on) will probably love it.

I give it five stars, just don't expect a 'journey'.

fabric 59: Jamie Jones
fabric 59: Jamie Jones
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable mix., 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: fabric 59: Jamie Jones (Audio CD)
By my own admission I'm no expert on the myriad genres of dance music, but the Fabric series of CDs very rarely disappoint me. Basically, if it moves my 'musical senses' then it's getting the thumbs up. This new one from Jamie Jones certainly does that and more.

The mix starts off on a straightforward Tech/House vibe with soulful vocals, and takes a trip through many loose tangents: Electroclash, disco, bass-driven techno and ending on the Depeche Mode referencing synthpop joy of Footprintz. Jones has given a lot of consideration to the track selection here, and forgiving a couple of ill-fitting transitions it flows fairly well. My one criticism is that it takes a couple of different directions which might ruin the flow a little, but the more listens and it makes more sense.

I'd actually recommend this to fans of the James Murphy & Pat Mahoney Fabriclive mix as there are a few similarities, although this one is a lot lighter on the disco vibe. A good mix to take with you on a road trip during the last days of summer.

Elliott
Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stuff, 11 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Elliott (MP3 Download)
Fantastic track from very promising new artist. You can hear the truth of the artist's experiences in every song... I don't usually like to make comparisons, but there are strains of Nick Drake, a dash of the Ray LaMontagne, a pinch of Damien Rice - but (in my opinion) surpassing them all. Cracking... Don't take my word for it, though, press the preview button or better still grab the track in full.