Profile for JonD > Reviews

JonD

Bodum Bistro Coffee Mug, 0.35 L/12 oz - Transparent
Bodum Bistro Coffee Mug, 0.35 L/12 oz - Transparent
Offered by BestBuyUk

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine apart from the mould line running around the handle, 2 May 2015
Fine apart from the mould line running around the handle. This is a little uncomfortable if you hold the mug with a supporting finger under the handle. Just a few strokes with a diamond sharpening stone smooths this ridge away, but if you can't smooth it you may find this irritating.

Severin SM 9685 700 ml 500 Watts Induction Electric Milk Frother with Variable Temperature Control

4.0 out of 5 stars That worked fine and gave good, 3 Feb. 2015
I bought this as my cheapo £20 Silver Crest milk frother died. That worked fine and gave good, hot frothed milk although you needed to clean off milk deposits where the heating element under the milk container caused some milk to stick.
The Severin Frother works well and froths semi-skimmed and full fat milk – only used Sainsbury’s SO Organic so far. The milk isn’t as hot my old frother produced, which is disappointing, but a bonus is there are no milk deposits left in the jug so a quick rinse with a dish brush and it is clean.
The instructions say you should put the jug onto the base then pour the milk in. Where I have the frother I find it more convenient to pour the milk into the jug then put it on the base. Doing this you have to ensure that the stirring head doesn’t jump off its post when you put the jug onto the base. The post and stirring head are magnetic so it’s the old like poles repel effect. Caught me out the first time I used it so no froth and burnt milk stuck to the jug.

Set Of 4 Cappuccino Tea Coffee Latte Hot Chocolate Cups Mugs Glasses
Set Of 4 Cappuccino Tea Coffee Latte Hot Chocolate Cups Mugs Glasses

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m happy with them, 3 Feb. 2015
This size is just what I was looking for – a small cup but wide enough at the top to fit an Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker. I wouldn’t say they are high quality items as there are mould ridges where it looks as if they are made in a two-part mould. The ridges inside the handles are noticeable and one cup rocks slightly on the ridge in its base. Still, for the money, I’m happy with them.

Bioforce Organic Bambu Instant Coffee Jar 200 g
Bioforce Organic Bambu Instant Coffee Jar 200 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Best coffee replacement I found on Amazon, 3 Feb. 2015
Looking for a caffeine free coffee replacement on Amazon I tried Innocente Caffe d'Orzo, Orzo Coffee Instant and Bambu Instant Coffee. Bambu is the only one that I found drinkable. Couldn’t be confused with a good coffee but it makes a pleasant enough drink.

Premier AV TV-1158 Freeview Receiver/PVR via USB, HDMI upscaling (a UK HD Freeview channels not supported)
Offered by Premier-AV

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but be aware of a few limitations, 20 Oct. 2012
I wanted a cheap Freeview box to record to USB connected storage for playing back on other devices, and overall this unit meets my needs. I can live with the limitations I have found - the Red Button to bring up extra text content does not work and the channel list only contains channels that are broadcasting when a scan is performed.

To set up the recordings I linked to a spare LCD computer monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable. (I tried a 1680 x 1050 max resolution monitor first, but this gave problems. A 1920x1080 max resolution monitor was fine). I can connect the audio output to my HiFi to provide sound, should I ever need a backup for our main TV. There are cheaper products that connect via a SCART socket, but I wanted the more flexible connection options provided by this box.

Although there are no software updates on the AV web pages (as of Oct 2012) when I emailed the support team I was sent a software update for the EPG function. Haven't worked out what the update has actually done to the EPG!

ROBERTS ClassicDAB DAB/FM RDS Digital Portable Radio
ROBERTS ClassicDAB DAB/FM RDS Digital Portable Radio

1.0 out of 5 stars More Display Problems, 12 Sept. 2012
Very pleased with the radio initially, but whilst setting up the pre-sets the display went blank never to return. Returned the radio to Amazon for a replacement but the display on the replacement was dead from the start. Looks like Roberts has a production problem on this model at the moment.

AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by inability to detect CLI, 4 April 2012
Potentially a very versatile device but like other people I find it cannot detect Calling Line Identity signal on the analogue exchange line, even though I have several other bits of kit that successfully detect CLI when connected in place of the Fritzbox. AVM don't seem to accept this is a problem with the Fritzbox. Have a Google for "Fritzbox CLI problem" before buying this unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 3:08 PM BST

Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by 4GamersUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined by an awful, inconsistent ending, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have played ME1 and ME2 many times but one play through of ME3 is more than enough.

The basics of ME3 are an improvement over ME1 & 2, apart from reducing the Journal that tracks your progress to near uselessness and less dialogue interactions with the characters. Niggles in these earlier games like getting stuck in the scenery, gaining resources by repetitious planetary mining and side missions raiding identical looking bases have all gone. Indeed the side missions are now of similar quality to the main missions. What ruins what could have been a great finale to the series is the last 10 minutes.

Although set in a science fantasy universe, one of the greatest strengths of Mass Effect is that it is a highly detailed and self-consistent universe. All that is thrown away by the several possible endings that are all down-beat and totally inconsistent, leaving you feeling cheated. For example, the final battle in ME1 to stop Sovereign gaining control of the Citadel is now made a total nonsense. It's as if the Mass Effect story writers got end-of-school fever - we're never coming back here again, so let's trash the place.

If you enjoyed ME1 & 2 just cherish the memories and don't spoil them with ME3 - I wish I hadn't.