Profile for Mr. M. Tetley > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Tetley

Mr. M. Tetley "Smoothly Does It" (West Yorkshire)

Ultimate Traffic: 2007 Edition (PC DVD)
Ultimate Traffic: 2007 Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate traffic 2007, 23 Nov. 2007
Impressive; is just one of the words to describe this add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004/FSX. For anybody who wants to improve the effect and the realism of flight traffic around the world, Ultimate Traffic 2007 is a must buy.

It works along a similar basis as FS Global 2008 (another impressive add-on for FS 2004/FSX), in that it enhances the standard traffic systems across the globe, by replacing the default flights that Microsoft provide, with real world equivalents. For instance, you can watch a British Airways 737 take off from a runway at Luton airport in real life, and then watch it on Microsoft Flight Simulator 30 minutes later, exactly as it happened. This can, if you want, happen all across the globe, but UT 07 lets you adjust what airliners you want to appear and at what airports, using a very simple and easy to use interface that even novices will be able to understand. All of the official airliner's timetables for 2007 are also provided with the add-on, so if there is a particular flight you want to observe, then you can set up Flight Simulator to arrange it for you, which I find handy.

Installation is quick and trouble free, and it only takes up a relatively small 1.3GB of disk space considering the amount of potential is gives. To keep up to date with new flight plans and airliners, you can also download updates from the developers website ([...]) so that you can always stay ahead of the game. There are also lots of other good add-ons from this specialist as well on the website.

The possibilities with this add-on are greater than any other add-on I have bought previous to this. And, unlike FS Global 2008, it's far cheaper to buy. There are, like other add-ons, a couple of drawbacks to this one however, but they are very small. At larger airports, such as Heathrow, you may notice a very small drop in frame rates due to the extra traffic being added (1fps to 3fps). And second, I haven't yet found a way to fly the exact flight plans that real life airliners fly (I imagine it's top secret), but you could always follow one of the planes to where you wanted to go to. But other than that, it's faultless!!

Schindler's List - Special Edition [DVD] (1993)
Schindler's List - Special Edition [DVD] (1993)
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best film ever made., 19 Oct. 2007
I first saw an extract of this film in a history lesson in school - the part where the Nazi's were clearing out the concentration camps and separating the men from the women and the children - and even though we were only allowed to be shown about three minutes of this film, I could tell that it was a film worth watching. And having bought it about 3 days later (through a recommendation of my history tutor), I wasn't disappointed.

It was a bit peculiar at first watching a film in black and white, but you do get used to it, and I feel that it adds to the atmosphere, and considering it is supposed to be set in WW2, it is also very appropriate. If you pay attention, the plot is relatively simple to follow, and knowing the background to what it is supposed to be about, will help in understanding it.

Once the film is underway and the majority of the main characters have been introduced, you are shown, in a very dramatic way, how the Nazi party began to exile Jews away from existence. First starting with the Ghetto camps in Warsaw and progressing to the concentration camps such as the one at Belsan. What I find effective in the film is following particular Jews who managed to survive through everything and is brought together very well when they are given their freedom at the very end of the film. Schindlers List also has one of the best soundtrack's I've ever heard in a film of this type. It's very poetic and fitting at the same type.

It's easily the best performance for Liam Neeson, and his portrayal of Oskar Schindler. And its also very good how you can watch his opinion change into merely earning money from the persecution of other people, to seeing how they are being treated, and to then change to help as many as he can. A very fitting tribute.

Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical - Mouse - optical - 5 button(s) - wired - PS/2, USB - OEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box..., 5 Sept. 2007
I bought one of these from Amazon to replace the one on my desk at work about a year ago, and since then, not one thing has gone wrong. For anybody wanting a comfortable, reliable, but not a very fancy mouse, then one of these is a must.

It's optical technology means that it can be used on virtually any work surface without the need for a mouse mat, and because of its shape it can be used in either hand without any problem. But the best part about it for me is its weight. I can barely notice that I am using it and considering that I use it for more than 8 hours every day, I get no wrist problems at all. It's also quite tough as well. I have smashed it quite hard on my desk many times before (in frustration at my painfully slow PC), and everything still works on it. The two side buttons are also just the right size for my thumbs to be of use whilst using it. And all of the main buttons and the wheel can be easily adjusted using the Intelli Point software provided.

Quite simply, one of the few pieces of Microsoft equipment that does what it is supposed to do, along with Windows 98 of course.

FS Global 2008 Add-On for FS 2004/FSX (PC CD)
FS Global 2008 Add-On for FS 2004/FSX (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 7 Aug. 2007
Put simply, this is by far the best add-on for FS2004 and FSX I've bought so far. It may cost a bit more than other add-ons, but for what you get for your money, it's a price worth paying.

For your money, you get 6 DVD's of enhanced modelling terrain (three for FS 2004 and three for FSX) and a brief manual on how to install them both. Be prepared though, for a very long wait for the software to be installed onto your hard drive. As a guide, it took my PC 45 minutes to fully install both of the discs for FSX, and it ate up 13GB of storage space, so make sure that you have plenty spare on your hard drive. (As a quick suggestion, once the software has been installed, defragment the hard drive you have put it on. This will speed up file access in the future)

Complaining aside, once you get the simulator going again, the transformation is actually very good I'd say. The ground details still look a bit blurry on lower settings, but the mountains and hillsides really do rise `majestically out of the ground' like it says on the box, which makes mountain flying more like, well, mountain flying rather than flying over the occasional hill. Coastlines also resemble their real life equivalents, and the sea no longer floats over the land for no apparent reason. Personally, I thought that there was going to be a massive drop in performance as well, with the extra detail being added, but in my case performance has actually improved. Okay, it takes a few minutes longer to load before you can begin flying, but as I've said before, it's well worth the wait. Also, I can quite easily run the game with the Auto Generated scenery set to Dense with no drop to the frame rate at all.

So in short, it's a bit too expensive for most people, it clogs up your computer, takes a long time to load e.t.c but for anyone interested in the greater details of this world, it's a must have.

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
Offered by Bonisell

4.0 out of 5 stars Driving to Success?, 29 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) (Video Game)
Having played all previous versions of Gran Turismo before this one (other than GT Concept), I was expecting this version to be even better than GT 3, which is my current favourite. And I am glad to say that it delivers, in my opinion, slightly better value for money. Usually, I would end this review here, but since no game is perfect, it does have its pro's and con's, so I shall start with the pro's:

Choice: once again the choice of cars that you can get is still impressive; Some 500 new and used cars to choose from. Although it is worth remembering that you probably wont ever use every single car there is. Also, I question why some manufacturers are in the game and others are not, such as Daihatsu instead of Ferrari.

Graphics: for me this is the biggest improvement over time. Remembering back to the first incarnation of Gran Turismo, the cars barely resembled their real life equivalents, but now there is a feeling of realism in terms of the graphics. And it's not just the cars either. The tracks are amazingly accurate and are drawn in impressive detail, and the pit stops are vastly improved over what they were in the first versions of Gran Turismo.

Realism: this is quite a controversial part on the game as I have seen reviews commenting on under steer at slow speeds, and cars that wont power slide easily. And I will admit when I first tried the game, I agreed with these comments. But over time, I learnt to follow the racing line more accurately and that throwing a car into a corner wouldn't get me very far. And after all, if this is supposed to be the most realistic driving simulator going, then the cars must be this bad!!!

And now for the bad points that can be a bit frustrating at times and I suspect that many people who have played the game would agree with:

The five-second penalty: for me, this is the worst part of the game. This penalty only applies if you are racing on a Special Conditions race or on a driving mission. If for instance you were going around a sharp corner and you hit the outside wall too hard, you would be given a five second penalty, which is fair enough for me. You would also be given a penalty if you hit a car too hard, which is also fair. But what I don't find fair is when you are going around a corner NORMALLY, and the car following you, crashes into the back of you too hard, any YOU get the penalty. (?????).

The AI: Sony claim that this is the most advanced Gran Turismo yet for the competition. Well I'm sorry to say that it isn't. In fact, it is as advanced as the first incarnation for AI to be honest. (Which isn't a lot). If you are looking for a game where other cars will push you hard and give you a challenge, look elsewhere.

Progression: If you are looking for a game that can be completed in a few weeks, once again, look elsewhere. Gran Turismo games have always taken a long time to complete, and this one is no different. This is a game that rewards patience and skill, but in all fairness, it is a bit too long, and it can get boring if you are playing it for hours on end.

So in conclusion, this newer version does still have it enough to sway me over from the likes of the Burnout series, but its still not quite there for me. So I shall be waiting for the long awaited release of GT5, when it eventually comes out!

Extreme 3D Pro PC Joystick
Extreme 3D Pro PC Joystick

3.0 out of 5 stars Good joystick, until..., 22 May 2007
I've been using this joystick on Flight Simulator X for about five months or so. And for that period of time, I couldn't fault it. The throttle response was very accurate - even to the slightest touch - and the same applied for the rudder and aileron controls. There are plenty of buttons on the base of the controller too, that you can customize using the provided software, which is also very useful.

So having got used to the controller, I decided to let my six year old nephew have a go with it for about an hour. He said that he had no problems with it and he also said that he hadn't broken it. Which made me think that something was wrong with it. So I tried it myself. And sure enough there was. Once I was ready to take off from a runway, I notice that when I pulled the joystick towards me to lift off from the runway, nothing happened. And then a few seconds later, it would mimic my last movements. The problem progressed when I eventually got in the air, and for no apparent reason, the plane I was flying would plummet back down to the ground - me having no say in what it was doing of course. This has gradually got worse to the point where it is pointless trying to use it.

I don't know myself what has caused the problem, but I'm currently looking on the Internet for similar problems and a possible solution. It's a shame really because it was a very good joystick, but perhaps there is an issue over the reliability/quality of the product.