Profile for C. A. Smith > Reviews

Content by C. A. Smith

C. A. Smith "iccklecat" (UK)

Einhell BT-TS 1500 U Tablesaw with Underframe
Einhell BT-TS 1500 U Tablesaw with Underframe

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 3 Nov. 2014
As this was the first saw I had purchased I did a little research before buying which helped greatly!!!

Putting it together. Instructions are not the greatest but if you have put together any machinery before you will work it out. Suggest a team of 2 to assemble. I did it alone but could have used a hand here and there. A 10 mm spanner and socket is a good idea.

Work height is good. Power is ok, cutting chipboard loft boards caused it to slow a little. Cuts through softwood easily enough (not tried hardwoods yet).

Here are my niggles (but if you did a little research before you buy these should not bother you as they haven't me)

The fence is crap, it will move and struggles to remain flat on the table. I plan to make my own or simply clamp a batten into position as and when. I also plan to make a crosscut sled.

The Parallel Guide isn't much better as it is made from molded plastic.

The legs are stable but give the feeling of instability. I plan to mount my table on a solid base which will leave this issue null and void.

Here's the big one. The table is not square to the blade, had I not looked into this before I purchased I would have kicked it, boxed it back up and called the supplier screaming about poor quality. HOWEVER, the top of the table is secured with a 10 mm nut and a hex screw. 4 top, 4 bottom and 3 along the blade.

Slightly undo all of these (blade down, blade guard off for the 3 inside the unit) then tighten the top right (looking at the unit from the front) with a steel rule. check the distance from the blade at the top of the table to the inside of the parallel guide runner on the right, make a note of the measurement. Now check the distance from the front of the blade to the inside of the parallel guide on the right.

Gently twist the table until this matches the back. Tighten the front right screw and check again. Finish tightening all the outside screws. check squareness again. Tighten the inside screw. check squareness.

The thing to remember here is that the unit is £150 brand new. You get what you pay for, but with a free afternoon, so patience and armed with the right research it doesn't have to be that bad.

Infinity On High
Infinity On High
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall out Boy???? Who are they???, 12 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Infinity On High (Audio CD)
I have to admit I am a little out of touch with modern music, I like what I know and that does me fine. However on a random trip to my local record store I couldn't help but tap my feet as I walked round. I didn't know who it was playing through the store speakers but loved their upbeat cheeky sound so curiousity got the better of me and I had to go ask a shop assistant. "Fall Out Boy" she said. Nope, sorry never heard of them, but I still went directly to the shelf and bought this album. I absolutely love it, can't stop playing it, it's on my ipod and accompanies me to work, I have it on in the background when I'm doing the housework and I even play it when I'm working out.
A great album, loads of catchy tunes and even better songs you can sing along to whilst you imagine yourself being a groupie at a concert.
Buy it....... you won't regret it!!!!!

Joe Public
Joe Public
by S J Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Was this written about me???????, 30 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Joe Public (Paperback)
Have you ever felt like you have the most dysfunctional and non-emotional family in the world??? I have and I can't believe how accurately this author has managed to some up my life in so many ways!!! This book was initially recommended by a friend who told me he felt like the author had followed him around for the best part of 15 years... and I have to agree!!!

You must read "Joe Public" and let S J Smith take you on an emotional rollercoaster that will undoubtedly take you to several childhood places you probably thought you would never re-visit again. The character descriptions and personal emotions each chapter holds are the key to this wonderful self-biography and each one I promise will make you feel part of the family...
Look out for the extremely funny and sometime though provoking "moments of insomnia"!!!!!!!
Conclusion: Great first novel by S J Smith, definitely worth a read and it makes you realise that maybe your childhood wasn't as much out of the ordinary as you first thought.

Philips HDD070 2GB Micro Audio Jukebox - White
Philips HDD070 2GB Micro Audio Jukebox - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to start with but ok once you get used to it!!!, 8 Oct. 2004
As an owner of the creative zen xtra (30Gb)for approx 1 yr, I'm considered somewhat of an expert when it comes to downloading songs onto mp3 players by my family. When my sister in law bought this player this summer, she asked me to put on all of her music for her. The software was really confusing to start with because I'm so used to the easy to use creative media centre packaged with my zen xtra. I've got to say though once you use the right software (the actual philips DDM on the installation disk), the songs transfer relatively quickly and for its size, this little baby can hold approx 1000 songs I'm told. I've not put that many on yet but there's still lots of music out there to do so with.
In comparison to my creative zen xtra, the philips micro jukebox is a great size, very light and easy to hide in your pocket. The headphones are great but I've got to admit, the battery life isn't great and of course it only has a 2Gb hard drive so I will eventually run out of room soon enough.
I would much rather pay an extra £20 and get the creative zen xtra that has over 10 times the capacity even if it means carrying around something a little bigger and heavier.
However, if all you really want is a small player to hold 15 of your cds, the philips micro jukebox would be perfect!!!!

Big Daddy [DVD] [1999]
Big Daddy [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Too funny for words!!, 12 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Big Daddy [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This film is definitely the funniest film I have ever seen. After watching it so many times on VHS I had to buy it on DVD because I was scared of wearing it out.
As a fan of Adam Sandler I didn't have to think twice about watching this great film based on a guy called Sonny Koufax who takes on the responsibility of his roommate's son when he unexpectedly turns up on the doorstep whislt his roommate is away on business in Japan. Adam Sandler has you laughing in nearly every scene and his humour is at its best throughout the whole thing. A couple of quick mentions must go out to the twins who played Julian (the son), they are both so cute and just make you want to have a kid yourself, Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigalo)as a foreign food delivery man and Steve Buscemi (Armagedeon and Con Air) as a tramp. Even if you hate Adam Sandler you really should see this. This film has helped me to understand the statement "my sides are splitting".