Profile for Peter Townsend > Reviews

Content by Peter Townsend

Peter Townsend "pukkar" (United Kingdom)

Family Baggage
Family Baggage

5.0 out of 5 stars A great inspiring read of life in the Colombian jungle - with "Family Baggage", 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Family Baggage (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in record time – less than a week. Usually I start a book and finish some months later. Not with this book; it is a compelling read, written in a very “easy to read” style.

Every chapter covers a new aspect; usually challenging, of how the author is faced with one issue after another, but manages to overcome and move on with her life, and find happiness and success.
If like me, you may wish that, you could meet the author and shake their hand on a touching life story.
The book is a great example for those in need of inspiration; of how, if you get knocked down, just get up
each time, learn and move onwards ; as there is always someone less fortunate than yourself !

Get Down With The Philly Sound
Get Down With The Philly Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius of Dimitri, Soul of Teddy - and More, 16 Oct. 2010
The Genius of Dimitri, along with the soulful voice of Teddy make this a compelling purchase. There are many other good tracks on the cd as well, but when I heard "The Love I Lost" remix on a podcast, I had to get the cd for that track alone - phenomenal is an understatement.
You could imagine seeing Teddy live, as he belts out that (intro) accapella " Have you ever loved someone !" , and you feel the hairs tingle on the back of your neck. Don't wait till it's too late; ... no no never, no no never ....

Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best priniter in the block, 4 May 2010
I've had HP printers for the past 10 years - printer scanner copiers; they served me well, but I felt like a change. I did a lot of checks and comparisons; the main features that swayed me to this printer are - double-sided/duplex, wireless and cd/dvd printing.
There are many other features that help to give this machine the "wow" factor; The software and menu interface is easy and a pleasure to use.
When pinting on dvd/cd's you can use a small photo; the printer software will magnify the image, so that it fills the dvd/cd disc face - all without the use of a pc, and just a few menu selections. I'll be using the cd/dvd prinit feature a lot more; archiving photos, saving sky+ programmes to disc; MP3 cd's etc.
Printing user manuals on A5 paper with the double sided feature is a breeze; giving excellent results - even in fast mode.
Inks can be expensive when used a lot, though pc world have a decent range costing half the usual price (e.g 5.99); used with no quality reduction.
The wireless onnection was easy to setup and remains very reliable for three pc's.
Scanning to memory card or pc is easy to complete.
Build quality is good; certainly better than some of the recent HP machines that appear flimsy.
I would thoroughly recommend this printer.

E63 (UK, Blue, QWERTY)
E63 (UK, Blue, QWERTY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect - but close enough - Excellent phone, 14 April 2009
My Nokia E63 was bought with the intention of replacing (Nokia 6131, imate PDA Compact II, Sony 1Gb MP3, Archos MP4) /providing the following functions:-

1.FM radio
2.Video player
3.PDA organiser - Word, excel editing
4.Internet Browsing
5.Email access
6.Camera
7.MP3 player

Some POSITIVE features:-
It's managed to do all the above; hats off to Nokia on a well designed phone, with excellent battery life (1500mAh battery), crammed with loads of features, including an Office software package, that has Word, Excel and even Powerpoint compatible programs.
You can listen to the radio, using your favourite earphones on the 3.5mm jack, whilst browisng the net.
No need to remove non Nokia headphones when you want hands free; the phone mic is used along with any headphones you plug in.

Volume levels are very adequate,loud and clear; through both speaker and headphones.

When you get an incoming call, you can send a polite text message (pre-installed) instead of answering; e.g (Sorry, I'm in a meeting, will call later).

With general use - no need to charge everyday; battery just goes on and on.

Few NEGATIVE features:-
Email features are slightly different to Blackberrys; no folder access - but to me - no issue.
USB socket is specific to the phone, no prob - Bluetooth and wireless available.
Screen size for video - half size of Archos - so not a direct replacement for me; still usable though.

SUMMARY
Lots of advanced features - too numerous to mention, but easily worked out using the Nokia friendly menu features. I've used Blackberrys in the past; this Nokia is a step above in most areas.
Main difference between this phone , E63, and the E71 is
1. E63 is cheaper (approx £100),
2. E63 has 3.5mm socket,
3. E63 has no GPS - okay with me.
This is my best phone so far; easily recommended - deserves the five stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2009 8:02 AM BST

Powershot SX100 IS (Black)
Powershot SX100 IS (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars What You See - Is What You Usually Get - excellence, 21 Feb. 2008
I bought this camera in mid January - been using it daily on way to / from work. For over a year, i've been tracking the powershot S3 IX, and would of purchased at a lowish price, but, as it's not as compact as this SX100, it would not fit in my pocket, and would have limited use against my Digital SLR - Nikon D40 .
This camera is very good in most areas.
Flash photography - is not it's strongest point, since recycle times are not as fast as you might expect, but where this camera really excels is in non-flash pictures, especially night time shots, with the fast ISO settings (usually left on 400) , you can capture the glory of London at night, in excellent colour. It's opened up a new dimension for me, after 26 years of photography; pocket sized available light camera.

Battery life is excellent, you can take over 200 pics with AA rechargeable (2300 mA) .
The user interface is top class, very easy to use; I haven't opened the manual - no need to .. yet. It has a scroll wheel to whizz through images, change ISO settings etc, so one handed operation is very easy.

Oh - and the 10x optical is very handy for bringing the subject closer, this works effortlessly, from the index finger.
The shutter release is a soft touch, so less chance of camera shake etc.
There's a image stitch feature, common on some other Canon cameras, which i've yet to experiment with - looks well handy.

I can fully recommend this camera, and unusually, I won't be ebaying this anytime soon, unless they bring out another model, with lightning fast flash recycle times...

Listen
Listen

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Listening Again !, 28 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Listen (Audio CD)
One track -- such as this, has me switched on to Beyonce again.

Forget the fast energetic tracks, though they're visually appealing, they've never hit the spot for me. This track does, it shows Beyonce's truly soulful talent . And if you get to see the video, you'll really be switched on to Listen, again and again and again.

Chapter 1: Love Pain and Forgiveness
Chapter 1: Love Pain and Forgiveness
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A lasting impression, 9 Aug. 2003
Wow - I picked up this album after catching the last 10 seconds of Syleenas video on MTV a while back (18 months). The track - I am Your Woman ; had me hooked on the voice, and the whole package.
The whole album is very consistent, one of my favourites.
Okay Syleena's not really well known, but she's got my support ( got all three albums now), If you're after good quality RnB - you can't go wrong here.