Profile for canmus > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Next World Novella
Next World Novella

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 17 Nov. 2012
Thought provoking book about a man who upon his wifes' death, discovers that she had known all along about what he thought he had kept secret from her. A sad but powerful little book dealing with regret . Highly recommended for someone looking for a iterary work that is a bit different.

600 Hours of Edward
600 Hours of Edward

2.0 out of 5 stars OTT with OCD, 15 Nov. 2012
I'm surprised at all the 4 and 5 starred reviews!! I am very interested in the subject matter of this book but am afraid it failed to engage me in any way. 600 Hous of Edward seems to add nothing new to what the average person already would know about Edward's condition. On the whole, it was very repetitive and I was mostly bored. I understand the author using repetition in recounting Edwards morning routine as a means of portraying the OCD issues, but it really didn't work very well and only managed to annoy me a lot. This might be a good book for someone unfamiliar with Asperger's syndrome but other than that I wouldn't want to recommend it.

The Best Ever Book of Gibraltarian Jokes: Lots and Lots of Jokes Specially Repurposed for You-Know-Who
by Mark Geoffrey Young

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Joke!!, 10 Nov. 2012
When will Amazon please introduce the option for reviewers to assign NO stars to a product??

I was given this book as gift by a friend as I live here in the "Campo de Gibraltar" in the south of Spain. The Spanish have an ongoing thing with the Gibraltarians, as do the English with the Irish, so I guess this book could have been full of laughs. IT IS NOT. I'm afraid to say it is dreadful. Really pitiful. My 12 year old didn't laugh at them. These jokes are VERY simple and we have heard them all before as the product description so honestly says. So how can you expect someone to pay £9 for old jokes only to have the word "Gibraltarian" inserted!!!

The jokes mentioned in the product description are about as good as it gets in this book. Please, do not waste your money!!

Mercy (Department Q 1)
Mercy (Department Q 1)
by Jussi Adler-Olsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Attention readers. This is "Keeper Of Lost Causes" under a different title !!!, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Mercy (Department Q 1) (Paperback)
Word of warning.

THIS BOOK IS THE SAME AS "KEEPER OF LOST CAUSES"

Entertaining read but not brilliant. I don't usually read thrillers but had heard so many good thing about this one I thought i'd give it a try.
A bit silly in places.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. DEJA VU!!, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
When I started reading this book it was as if the author had stolen my fathers stories and had claimed them as her own. What a fantastic book on RELATIONSHIPS during the Nigerian civil war. When we were kids my (Nigerian) father would tell us stories about the 60's in Nigeria as he was also a professor at Ibaden during the same time. He, as a matter of fact managed to flee and avoid what occured in the latter part of the book but knew people who were caught up in the war. As kids we were never really intrested in these remote stories, just as our kids today don't care much about what we have to say.

But when I recently read this book I WAS BLOWN AWAY at how a stranger (the author) had put into writing everything I had been told over the course of my childhood by my father. Even some of the characters names were the names I had heard my father mention. I'm now 48 and I feel ashamed that I paid so little attention then, because to me they were just stories.

For those of you who feel like "yeah, just another war story, how much of it is true anyway?" be assured this book is based on fact. I was shaken because it was so close to home.

Little Bobo
Little Bobo
by Hans De Beer

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a fiver! Beautiful!! A breath of fresh air, 8 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Little Bobo (Paperback)
I am so thrillled to have discovered a book I can at last award 5 stars again. I am on the constant lookout for good childrens books and am so often disappointed. Ideal for 3 to 7 year olds.
Bobo is a little orangutan living in the rain forest who stumbles across a violin. His parents, needless to say, are less thrilled as Bobo makes a racket with his new find. As the days go by Bobo learns to play music to the delight of all the jungle animals including his parents. (Even Mama can now remove the banana plugs from her ears!) Bobo is a star.
One day, however, Bobo loses his violin and it is up to his father to find a replacement. He returns with all sorts of musical instruments (with which Bobo's friends now also make a racket) but alas, no violin. Bobo and Papa travel through the forest to pay old Uncle Darwin, who says he has travelled the world collecting things (junk), a visit . Children will be delighted in pointing out items they recognize in Uncle Darwins junkyard - old carpets, washing machine, cans, a hat and yes, eventually even a violin. Bobo goes back home with his new violin and soon he and his friends form a band making beautiful music happily ever after.
This book is made of what all childrens books should be made of; a perfect balance of visual delight and a story that has what I call "soul" or substance. It has the equivalent of what we adults call a great read. You want to pass it on to let others enjoy. Other books that I can say this about are Donaldsons "The Gruffalo", Helen Coopers "Pumpkin Soup" and Valerie Thomas' "Winnie the Witch". All superb and done with enthusiastic zeal!
No churning out a quick book here. It goes without saying that this husband and wife team were truely devoted to producing this first rate product. Hans de Beers, who we know from the "Little Polar Bear" series, illustrations are wonderfully rich in detail. I find this important after children have reached a certain age. They pay attention and try to discover. This is a book you will want to keep for your childrens children, in case it ever goes out of print.
Yes, I VERY much liked this one.

Man on the Moon
Man on the Moon
by Simon Bartram

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad; story needs a bit of working on, 8 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Man on the Moon (Hardcover)
The children took an instant liking to this book as the illustrations are wonderful and vibrant. This book COULD be a 5 star, however, from an adult perspective I found the text to be a little flat and the story lacking in "pazzaz". At times I felt that certain sentences were out of place or contibuted nothing to the story and were added just to ensure filling the pages with text. "The Gruffalo", "Winnie the Witch" and Helen Coopers "Pumpkin Soup" are our all time favourite 5 star books
Nevertheless, my 5 and 3 year old love the book and have a wonderful time alien spotting. At the moment it is their favourite.

Giddy Goat
Giddy Goat
by Jamie Rix

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not a Jewel of a book., 25 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Giddy Goat (Hardcover)
Really, I give this book 3 1/2 stars. It is above average.
I was very much looking forward to this book after having read the wonderful review. I am however slightly disappointed as there is missing that special something that makes it "complete".
This is a book about a sweet goat (Giddy) which doesn't enjoy the perils of living a mountain goats' life: ie heights. He runs away from home to literally live on "safer ground" where the sheep graze. He is however not welcomed by the sheep who tell him to go back home, which for Giddy, is not an option (too high). Before long Giddy ends up having to rescue a sheep that wishes to be a rock climber (clever role reversal here), from the ledges of the mountain. This, of course, calls for Giddy to overcome his own fear of heights first in order to do the climb for the rescue. Sheep and goat become good friends and end up having sleep overs.
Not in the same league as some of my all time favourites; Donaldsons "The Gruffulo", Helen Coopers "Pumpkin Soup" or any of the "Winnie The Witch" books. These to me are real treasures written in such a way that one can sense the authours devotion to writing childrens books. Giddy Goat is cute and clever in that it teaches to overcome ones fears. The illustrations are lovely and really manage to express. I am happy to own this book as I am always looking for new decent books for my 3 and 5 year olds; but like I say, it's missing that something to push it into the 4 stars or that fantastic extra reserved for the 5 star category that one will recommend to friends for months on end.

Gorilla
Gorilla
by Anthony Browne

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet gentle story, 16 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Gorilla (Paperback)
Endearing story about a little girl whos father never has time for her.(Yes, it hits a nerve because many of us are guilty of this) She wishes for a (real) gorilla for her birthday but gets a soft toy one from daddy. Not being too pleased about this she tosses it aside before going to bed that night where it changes into a real live one during the night. The story goes on to tell how this gorilla takes the little girl out on an adventure for a birthday treat. Gorilla does all the things that a daddy should.

My children do like this book and find it very amusing that a gorilla comes to life and takes this girl out and about.

Sanji and the Baker
Sanji and the Baker
by Robin Tzannes

4.0 out of 5 stars What an illustrator! Clever story, 8 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Sanji and the Baker (Paperback)
Nice story about Sanji who lives above a bakers' and enjoys the lovely smell of fresh baked goods each morning. Sanji is eventually taken to court by the baker for "stealing his smells". Mr. Judge goes about a clever way in solving the dispute. (I'm however not sure children will grasp the irony of the outcome).

The illustrations by Korky Paul (Winnie the Witch) are truly gorgeous and as always, rich in detail to keep the children captivated. If you are not familiar with them you will be pleasantly surprised.

Page: 1 | 2