Profile for JohnFK1966 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Tookah [VINYL]
Tookah [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff from Emiliana Torrini, 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Tookah [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Great stuff from Emiliana Torrini. Has a sort of 80's vibe to it as well as a folky feel - you can't really categorise her sound and you really shouldn't just play it and enjoy!! Highly recommended…

Surveillance (1990) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]
Surveillance (1990) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]

1.0 out of 5 stars Tune Disaster, 19 May 2015
Truly awful and I love The Epileptics, Flux of Pink Indians and Flux. Couldn't listen to it all the way through, sadly for completists only.

Saturns Pattern [VINYL]
Saturns Pattern [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Look up, look down, look out - here comes Saturns Pattern, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Saturns Pattern [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is an early review (of the vinyl) as I've only listened to the album twice so I can't go into detail about the tracks!
Sounds like Weller is back on form and the album flows beautifully from the upbeat White Sky into the laid back Pick It Up ending side 1, I can hear some influences of his earlier work (but not too much) but generally this is an all new sound. There's some psychedelic noise and touch of a bluesy groove - In The Car. The album is short, which isn't a bad thing, with the luxury of CD albums seemed to get a little too lengthy sometimes.
The packaging is great - gatefold sleeve, picture inner bag, eight page lyric book and download card.
Maybe I'll update this into a proper review when I've had more time but really this is to say that Saturns Pattern is a worthwhile purchase, great value for money and one of Weller's better releases of late…

Forget About Tomorrow- The Singles ( Vinyl) [VINYL]
Forget About Tomorrow- The Singles ( Vinyl) [VINYL]
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kaleidoscope Singles Vinyl - BUY IT!!!, 10 Mar. 2015
Looking at other reviews of Kaleidoscope releases on Amazon I better state that I am a fan of this band and rate them highly, if others don't that can't be helped.
This is a very decent release and extremely good value. If you are also a fan, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
The packaging is of a very high standard - gatefold sleeve, 12 page illustrated booklet with sleeve notes by Peter Daltrey (no relation to Roger, ho ho!!!) , A4 double-sided insert - 1967 Kaleidoscope Press Release. The 2 x 12" 33rpm chunky vinyl is of high quality and housed in those decent paper/poly inner sleeves.
The sound quality is fantastic, but the actual records are so rare I can't possibly compare them to the original releases! The only geeky thing I can think of is that the original 1967/1968 singles would have probably been mono mixes - these are all stereo which suggested album masters - but I'm not actually sure!!! The only other thing is I'm not sure where track 6 on side 4, Baby Stay For Tonight, is mastered from - it is very crackly suggesting it is mastered from a copy of the 1976 vinyl???
There are some nice additions to the tracks with particular b-sides added from Dutch, French, Japanese and Australian releases which bump up this collection to 26 tracks.
Overall I can't recommend this enough for the quality of music, packaging and value for money. I purchased my 5 Hours Back vinyl reissues back around 1986 when they came out (I've never seen a '67 copy of Tangerine Dream that I could possibly afford to pay for) and my From Home To Home and White Faced Lady vinyl shortly after. This set will complete that collection as pretty much the entire Kaleidoscope vinyl back catalogue!!!
If you thinking about buying this release, time to stop thinking and buy it!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2015 1:57 PM BST

Do a Runner
Do a Runner

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my brainwashing time . . ., 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Do a Runner (Audio CD)
The return of Spock at last!

At last one of my all time favourite albums has been released on CD way behind all the other reissues of the time. I must admit I had to play track 12 onwards first which consist of the second Spizz album Spikey Dream Flowers and it doesn't disappoint!

I have now deleted the poor vinyl-rip I had stored on my iPod!

I wasn't so smitten with Do A Runner even though it's a great record it lacks the energy and consistency of SDF, but with a fresh listen there are some stand-out tracks - New Species and Red And Black to name two.

Red And Black along with Soldier Soldier are reworkings of earlier Spizz days when the band were ultraminimalistic and just recorded guitars, vocals and broken bottles! They are great reworkings too.

Every track on SDF is a winner delivered at breakneck pace. Check out some Peel, demo and 12" versions of this period of Spizzenergi/The Spizzles if you can - they're also great particularly Soldier Soldier Extended Version and Downtown radio sessions.

Sadly there's no bonus material as the two albums take up the time limit for one CD. We can only hope these 'other versions' will see the light of day one day. But let's be happy with what we've got here!

If your interested enough in the band to be reading this then you should buy this limited edition CD while it's available.

Thanks Spizz-everything (Oil, Energi, Athletico, etc), CP Snare, Furry Records and everyone involved in bringing this to light . . .

The Last Ship
The Last Ship
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars This ship aint sinking, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I've listened to Sting's Last Ship a lot and recommend it. Along with If On A Winters Night I have enjoyed these stripped-down folky songs as a change from the usual product out there. Stand-out tracks: The Last Ship, Dead Man's Boots, Language Of Birds, What Have We Got? and So To Speak.

Zounds Demystified: Lyrics and Notes
Zounds Demystified: Lyrics and Notes
by Steve Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than no book on Zounds, 2 Jan. 2014
There's nothing on Zounds apart from snippets on their website and minor sleevenotes. I have entitled this "Better than no book on Zounds" as that's what it is rather than an indepth look at the history of the band and all the anorak facts that readers of rock biographies like to know. But Steve Lake hasn't claimed anymore than lyrics and notes - so it does what it says on the tin. Had there been more research to read I would've read it but Zounds were so obscure in the first place I'm happy this book actually exists. The format and design are spot-on and it's a great read - so thanks Steve. Excellent value for money and a must have for the Zounds fan/collector. From a purely selfish point of view I would have liked to see more pics, release and tour dates in detail and more about the 1992 reunion. Overall I can't fault it and I think you should buy it!!!

I'm Alive and on Fire
I'm Alive and on Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great aggressive guitar thrash!, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: I'm Alive and on Fire (Audio CD)
Saw Danko a few times in the early days after borrowing this from a colleague. Finally got round to owning my own copy. Highly recommended garage/blues/guitar thrash!

Machismo
Machismo

5.0 out of 5 stars He's into that, that spiritual stuff . . ., 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Machismo (Audio CD)
Pure genius! A little bit different from the 1st two albums but still very Gomez! Can't stop playing it . . .

Winter Chill 2: 29 True Chill Out Tracks
Winter Chill 2: 29 True Chill Out Tracks
Offered by Music-Finder

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds to relax to over and over again, 1 Oct. 2013
This series is just fantastic and so well put together. Great for relaxing in any season or any occasion. Can't recommend enough and the tracks merge together perfectly.

Page: 1 | 2