Profile for Liam Kelly > Reviews

Content by Liam Kelly

Liam Kelly "mailbutbackwards" (Hove, UK)

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little fella if you can be bothered to use it, and you don't mind the discomfort, 9 Dec. 2013
I love this little fella - It does exactly what I want it to. When the Nike Fuel first came out, I really wanted one of these, but after looking at them and trying one on, I just felt like it was like wearing a watch, was a little too bulky, and after reading reviews about it's usb based clasp becoming loose and unreliable, I decided to look at the alternatives. I didn't like the Jawbone, or its app, and I was thinking of getting a fitbit scales, so it kind of made sense. When I use it in conjunction with my now purchased Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale it works brilliantly. I love the app and the web based interface for keeping track of your activity etc. Very easy to use - when you make the effort.

And thus come the down sides. Now this is a personal issue - I sometimes take it off because I don't want it on - shower, in bed, or just don't feel like having it on my wrist - and because of this obviously it's not working for you - this often due to the following. It's light and un obtrusive, if you don't already wear a watch - Fitbit recommend it to be worn on your non-writting hand, which in my case is my left hand - I wear my watch on my left hand, and now I'm having to wear the watch on my right hand - I've been wearing a watch on my left hand since I was about 8 - I'm 40! It is a little discomforting to say the least. Also I really don't enjoy wearing it in bed to record my sleep patterns. I sleep with my left hand under my head. Again uncomfortable. Yes this is personal preference, rather than a technical issues. However, I do feel the design could do with a tweak - for the band that is at least. The edges are not rounded, in fact quite angular, and thus in certain instances it can cut into your wrist - with larger wrists, on wrist angles, with tighter jacket/sweater cuffs around it. Also it wears very easily along the edges - my first orange band was scuffed and pale along the edges within a week! If the band was more like the Nike Fuel or Jawbone, in that it was more rounded, I think it would get 5 stars.

The other issue is that of it's accuracy at recording your activity - it's not all about steps.... and it does, on one hand (no pun intended!!!), tell you that it's not all about recording steps, like a pedometer, but the app and thus the web interface say they record your activity as steps. At the end of the day you have to see it for what it is - it helps you keep active, if you are competitive it's even better at it (being able to keep up to date through the app with your friends who also use one), but it certainly is NOT a totally accurate measure of fitness, activity, calories burned, or your BMI (not that BMI is really worth the paper it is written on, and most medical professionals would agree!)

Anyway great little gadget, but could do with some fine tuning... perhaps Fitbit Flex v3.0 will get some improvements along the way... v2.0 is about to come out and is nearly the same as this current model, but with a built in watch!

My Family And Other Animals [DVD][1987]
My Family And Other Animals [DVD][1987]
Dvd ~ Hannah Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars FANYTASTIC, 12 July 2013
I still love this after all these years. I loved the book and read it so many times as a child, and I loved the BBC production when it was on in the 1980s... This, Coot Club and Seal Morning (If only you could get that on DVD now!) brilliant reminders of the innocents of a child's imagination.

My Family & Other Animals [2005] [DVD]
My Family & Other Animals [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Imelda Staunton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the 1980s BBC production....BUT..., 12 July 2013
I liked it still the same. A different twist on a childhood classic and favourite of mine. And good price too!

Catit Style Hooded Cat Pan/ Litter Tray/ Litter Box, 57 x 46 x 39 cm, Blue
Catit Style Hooded Cat Pan/ Litter Tray/ Litter Box, 57 x 46 x 39 cm, Blue
Offered by Equestrian Performance

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 12 July 2013
I did read a lot of reviews on this litter tray and many other litter trays, but overall I decided to go with this one. Some reviews mentioned poor build quality, design and cost. Well I think the cost is just right. It's an average price for a litter tray. We bought one from Pets@home and the swing door broke within hours of use and that was about £15. We could have bought a ModKat [...] - but I'm NOT going to spend £150 on a litter tray, however incredibly well designed and built it is. So the Catit Hooded Pan's build quality... it is injection moulded plastic, thin, a little on the flimsy side, not really that robust, the catches need double checking before you go to pick up the whole thing by the handle, as they often don't close properly, and the finish is a little rough around the edges. Saying that... it's a litter tray... most of it's life will be spent with either a cat in it taking a s*** or pee, or it will be empty - I'm not intending to carry the cat around in it or use it to eat off. I must say I liked the method of sticking the product label on the front door - just sticky on the corners and the rest not - thus no massive sticky mess as you peel it off - clever! Putting the door and lid together wasn't fiddly as some have said, you just have to not have elephant thumbs - like anything, use logic and take care - it won't break unless you are a complete dump butt... Our cats don't pull at the carbon filter - works excellently - no smells what-so-ever - it's in our cloakroom and even covers up the smells from our toilet pan!!! It is a big litter tray, admittedly, but it makes it so easy to clean out and empty. Just read the dimensions before you order it, if you are worried about space. Amazon did deliver it to me in a huge box, but it was with a load of other items. I would say they need to start using a different sticky tape to hold items together in packages - I spent 20 minutes with some lighter fluid trying to get the gunk off the plastic hood and base, where Amazon staff had practically glued it together for transit. All in all, so far, my cats like it, it's neat, tidy, practical, smell free, less litter is carried out on cat's feet on exit, it isn't fantastically finished, and if I dropped it on a hard surface, I'm sure something would break, but for £15... I think it hits the spot.

The Boys Are Back [DVD]
The Boys Are Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING INSPIRATIONAL & STUNNINGq, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Boys Are Back [DVD] (DVD)
I love antipodean films, but this has to be one of my favorites. Touching, warm, sensitive, intelligent, funny, so so sad, uplifting and frankly inspirational... It has made me want to be a great father one day soon... Clive Owen can act! The boys are brilliant... And well Southern Australia... it left me speechless in reality and on film it's just as fabulous. See this film, and if you don't like it... you're probably dead!

Steve & Me
Steve & Me
by Terri Irwin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gor blime, 8 April 2008
This review is from: Steve & Me (Hardcover)
fab read and written from the heart - a lot of people slated Stevo, but he did more for conservation & Australia in his short, than people gave him credit for and this read shows how inspired he was as a man, a husband, a father, a son, an Australian and as an expert in reptiles and conservation and the need to get the message to the people... which is what he became famous for and what he died doing... rock on Stevo, and keep up the god work Teri and Bindi, that's what I say!