Profile for Dave > Reviews

Dave (London, UK)

Nobody Saw
Nobody Saw

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling - best thing I've read in 10 years., 24 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Nobody Saw (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely thrilling. Sharply drawn characters and an awesome plot....a real page turner. The best thing I've read in ages!

Safe House
Safe House

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - would make a great movie, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
Loved it, real page turner - exciting plot twists, great characterisation. I I I I I I I I I

Henry VIII: Wolfman
Henry VIII: Wolfman
by A E Moorat

5.0 out of 5 stars GRRRRRRREAT!!!!, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Henry VIII: Wolfman (Paperback)
I bought this book at Heathrow Airport and it kept me completely engrossed all the way from London to Montreal. Although I'm not really what you'd call a fan of the Horror genre I'd read Queen Victoria Demon Hunter and had really enjoyed it and this is by the same author.

I suppose you'd call it a "Historical Horror" and as you might expect it focuses on the life of Henry VIII with Demons and Werewolves as a backdrop and explores the battle between "good" and "evil" and the blurry (or should that be `furry') bits in between.
It's exciting, horrific and very funny rollicking along at a terrific pace. Peppered with "hat-tips" to real historical events, it cleverly challenges our traditional perceptions of Henry VIII, Sir Thomas More etc. and by the end of the novel actually "does a 360" and confirms those original perceptions but not in the way you'd expect - it's very, very clever - I don't want to give too much away!!!

Although it really nails the sense of period too with some vivid description of the highest quality there are also lots of modern parallels to be drawn, not least in the torture scenes which (for me) seemed to touch on the whole War On Terror / Guantanamo situation.

This has all the ingredients you'd want in a great page turner, It's pacey, tightly written and the characters are really well drawn - the WitchFinder couple are an absolute joy. There are also some great descriptive set-pieces that will have you on the edge of your seat and twists in the plot that you just won't see coming - again I don't want to give too much away, but this is clever, clever writing.

Riedel Glass Cleaner
Riedel Glass Cleaner
Offered by About-Tea & About-Coffee Shop, prices incl. VAT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 16 May 2010
Handy for getting to red wine stains areas in unreachable areas of decanters but will still leave you with water marks, disappointing.

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter: She loved her country. She hated zombies.
Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter: She loved her country. She hated zombies.
by A E Moorat

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic page turner, 13 Oct. 2009
I bought this book on the day it came out simply because I liked the cover, started reading it and couldn't put it down - I guess you'd call it a "mash-up" of the zombie / horror and historical genres. It's set in the reign of Queen Victoria and Demons and Zombies are secretly calling the political shots in the upper echelons of Victorian society - who's gonna stop `em - you guessed it, only the Monarch herself? This sounds a bit bonkers but it works brilliantly, Moorat manages to combine extreme tension with laugh out loud humour and completely nails the sense of period without ever sounding stuffy, in fact if anything the humour has many modern resonances. It's peppered throughout with really well drawn characters and the violence and gore are described in blood chilling (or should that be "blood swilling"?) detail - it's terrific. This would make a great movie, I'd be surprised if it wasn't picked up.

Criminal Records
Criminal Records
by Andrew Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cracker!!!!, 4 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Criminal Records (Hardcover)
Once again Holmes delivers a belting page turner; hilarious, poigniant and at times deathly dark. this latest offering must place him firmly among the finest writers around today.

Pele: The Autobiography
Pele: The Autobiography
by Pelé

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive sports autobiography, 9 Jun. 2006
This long awaited autobiography truly gets to the heart of the man himself - an interesting story whether you're a footy fan or not. It's real page-turning stuff this, you feel like you're on a journey with Pele as he takes you from his humble beginnings through to his current status as global Icon. The stuff on the 1970 world cup finals is particularly good and it's packed with some stunning colour photography and has a useful appendix outlining his career and goal-scoring record - it proves the boy Rooney has a way to go yet!!! If you like football - get it, if you don't like football - get it, you won't be disappointed!