Profile for G. S. Pritchett > Reviews

Content by G. S. Pritchett

G. S. Pritchett "Honest reviewer" (Sutton Coldfield)

Page: 1 | 2
NOW That's What I Call 70s
NOW That's What I Call 70s

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable same old stuff!!, 2 Dec. 2016
True, this compilation contains some great tunes from back in the day, but unsurprisingly, the people who compiled this collection have wheeled out the same, safe, middle of the road stuff that we have seen on a thousand compilations in the past. A true compilation of 70's hits for me would be a chronological order of tracks, starting from the glam rock era of the early 70's (wizard, slade, T-Rex etc) through to the late 70's that contained the lead up to the birth of the new wave era. How these compilations are put together is a mystery, possibly made up by computer, all in the hope that they will be bought by people who have not had access to a radio in 40 years. Same goes for all the 80's compilations too, it's all getting a bit boring now. 💤💤💤
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2016 12:02 AM GMT

Food For Thought [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Food For Thought [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ UB40
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars UB40 at their best!!, 24 Nov. 2016
From their beginning, I was always a massive fan of UB40. I could never put my finger on what drew me towards the group, I liked the reggae sound, but apart from the big hits of Bob Marley, I wasn't what you would call a massive reggae fan. I think the fact that they implemented the saxophone into their sound (always one of my favourite sounding instruments), combined with the energetic drumming of Jimmy Brown, was what grabbed my attention.That, combined with them, like myself, hailing from the great City of Birmingham, made me kind of feel proud & not only were they from my City, I felt they represented me. I had everything they produced, all the albums, all the singles (plus most 12" singles) & was lucky enough to see them in concert a few times, even meeting them at a book signing in the mid 80's. It wasn't until many years later, when my musical tastes had matured, I looked back at the music they made. In my view, all these years later, their first two albums rank alongside my favourite all time albums. This was UB40 at their very best, edgy, raw, political and with purpose, they really had something to say. The saxophone of Brian Travers is what gave them that distinctive sound, the bass guitar of Earl Falconer held the group together like glue, Ali Campbell's passionate vocals & Jimmy Browns enthusiasm were what defined them. Their third album had fleeting moments and then along came the fourth album labour of love which propelled them to the massive group that they became, although I loved this album at the time, the journey was sort of coming to an end for me, they were singing something different now. I did like their fifth studio album, Geoffrey Morgan, but then everything else was just ok, I collected it nonetheless. This DVD contains most of the music from those first two albums and I had never even seen this concert before, I would have killed for this footage back in the day!!. It brought back all the memories and made me realise just why I fell in love with the group. The crowd start off a little static and the picture quality, whilst not being of today's hi def standards, is still more than good. It's sad to see how the group has now split, with Ali Campbell referring to brother Robins band 'a joke', but this DVD is UB40 at their best and their first two albums still sound as great today as they did back then. If you liked their early stuff, then buying this is a no brainier...enjoy!

The Lost World of Football: From the Writers of Got, Not Got
The Lost World of Football: From the Writers of Got, Not Got
by Derek Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars When football was good!!, 13 May 2016
Purchased this book a few weeks back & can honestly say that it is one of the best football books for nostalgia I have ever seen. Packed with articles and photos that rolled back the years and had me saying 'I had that!!', at virtually every turn of the page. Also lots of pics of stuff that I had even long forgotten about, and that includes some pretty obscure stuff!. Being the grand age of 50, I can fully relate to these great days, when football as a young lad was just one great adventure, magazines, comics, sticker collections, shoot league ladders, topps football cards and football games in an age long before today's sky tv, money mad corporate vultures got hold of the game and produced greedy, money obsessed, disloyal mercenaries, who couldn't care less about the fans. The authors of this great book happen to be fans of Leicester City, so having just won the premier league, they've probably gone into shock & completely forgot about the good old days now. My team however are heading in the opposite direction and this book is just a reminder that football used to have happier times. Just like great music is a thing of the past, or maybe I have just got cynical in my old age. If the author even reads this review, I would just like to say a big thanks....great job!

The Anomaly [DVD]
The Anomaly [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Somerhalder
Offered by b68solutions

1.0 out of 5 stars Just shocking!!, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Anomaly [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched some pretty dire dvd's in my time & this is up there with the worst of them!. I don't normally leave a one star review, I only like to give praise to the good stuff, but this was just shocking. I will be taking it to my local charity shop first thing in the morning, although feeling slightly guilty that some other poor bugger is going to suffer the same misfortune that I have done!.

80s School Days: Ultimate Collection
80s School Days: Ultimate Collection
Offered by Gift_Of_Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy days!!, 15 Jan. 2016
Being a child of the 80's and an obsessive collector of 80's compilations, I came across this collection. Reluctant to purchase another compilation of predictable hits, I viewed the track listing & was pleasantly surprised. All the usual stuff that everyone has a million times already, wasn't there as much, and was instead replaced with other tracks that are more harder to come by. Yes, there are one or two regulars that pop up, but there are some absolute hidden gems, pretty good considering that there are 100 songs across the 5 discs. Everyone will have their favourites (although anyone admitting to having 'agadoo' amongst their favourites has serious issues!). Personal favourites for me here include; Grandmaster Flash, Michael Sembello, Tom Tom Club, Sharpe & Numan, Alyson Williams, Ollie & Jerry (not heard in years!) & Levert. CD 3 is my favourite & could have been a compilation in it's own right! These are just a few of my favourites, but the whole set is packed with great stuff. As all my many 80's cd's go, this is up there with the best. The title & artwork is a little naff, which may cause a few people to overlook it, but well worth a go, put it on, remember when you never had a care in the world & enjoy!!

Rush [DVD]
Rush [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Rush [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst I have never been a huge Formula One/Motorsport fan, as a young lad, I vividly remember watching James Hunt on T.V at this time, and have always recognized him for the legend that he was. This film did not disappoint. Formula one diehards will probably nitpick and tell us that this wasn't how it was, but who cares!. The lead actors play their parts brilliantly and if this was the rivalry that the two had, then it was some rivalry!. You could feel the tension between the two throughout, to the point where they really did lay their lives on the line to outdo each other. Anyone thinking about whether to watch or not, do it now, you won't regret it. Brilliant film!!

The Sea Of Love
The Sea Of Love
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated 80's Gem!, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Sea Of Love (Audio CD)
If ever the phrase 'not a bad song on the album' applied, then this would be the album!. The adventures were probably remembered for the track 'broken land', which is contained here, although I would personally say that 'broken land, is probably my 3rd or 4th best song on the album. My favourite tracks are 'Drowning in the sea of love' and 'you don't have to cry anymore', although like I say the entire album follows suit, and playing it in my car yesterday prompted me to leave this review. The album is atmospheric throughout, I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is about it that I love so much, the piano, the drums, great vocals or guitars, probably the whole lot just work together so well. Maybe for me, it was because the 80's were the best time ever for great bands, and this was one of those last great albums of the 80's. If you loved 'broken land', then i would say you are probably 90% going to love this album. Reviewers on here recommend checking out their first album, I am yet to do so, but if it's anything like this gem, then I have missed out. Definateley in my top 20 albums of the 80's and i am hard to please!

August & Everything After
August & Everything After
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect album!!, 7 April 2013
I have never been one who can put their feelings into words, so I can only echo what the other reviewers of this album say. I am new to these songs, somehow this album passed me by and I now rue the hours that I have lost and the time I could have spent listening to it!. As one reviewer perfectly put it, it is an album to listen to on a hot summers day, lying in a field, but that's not to say it isn't perfect whatever the occasion!!. Personal 3 favourites are 'Anna begins', 'perfect blue buildings' and 'Sullivan Street', but everyone is outstanding. My big question now, is which of their albums should I buy next?, are they all this good?, any suggestions appreciated. I cannot remember being swept away by a first listen to an album like I was with this one. O.K it's all about opinion, but my opinion says this is an outstanding album, full of emotion, soul and feeling. Thouroughly worth the 5 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 4:01 PM BST

Sony NWZB172 2GB Walkman MP3 Player with USB - Red
Sony NWZB172 2GB Walkman MP3 Player with USB - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money!!, 27 Mar. 2013
I have had this MP3 player for around two weeks now, maybe a little early to write a review, but, in the short time I have had it, I cannot praise it enough!. I paid around £23.99 for the player, which was despatched via Amazon. I was a little sceptical at first, after reading some reviews from people who had purchased the same player with bigger memory, and had had problems. As the price was low and with Sony being a leading name, i decided to take a punt and go for it. I'm no computer whizz when it comes to locating and loading software, but this really was very easy. If you know basic computer tasks, then there's no problem, in fact you don't really have to load the software that comes pre-installed on the player, as the device operates pretty much the same as a memory stick, just drag and drop your tracks from windows media player onto the device, and 'hey presto', they are on the player within seconds!.
I deliberately chose the 2GB player, so that I can just listen to my favourite albums of the moment and not store 2 million tracks on an ipod and search all day for the ones i wish to play!.The sound quality, I found excellent with the in ear phones provided, although I am currently using some better quality ones that I have had for a while and when you have the 'bass function turned on, the sound reproduction is very good. The functions are straightforward, just click the centre wheel to play/pause and click the wheel up and down to cycle through the menus and locate your songs. There is a 'hold' button, when slided, prevents you from accidently forwarding, pausing etc when you dont want to. Some people appear to be a bit heavy handed with stuff like this and hammer away at the buttons until something happens (or in some cases 'doesn't!). Treat it with respect and it does a great job. OK, it's not an ipod (which incidentally, I do have, and rate highly), but for the price paid, I think it is great. There is also something on the player known as 'Zapping', which from what i gather, lets you play and repeat certain portions of a song. Personally, i can't see the point of this feature and will probably never use it, but that's not to say you wont. It also comes with an attachable clip so that you can attach it to your clothing if desired. All in all, this is a great little device, which you can also store other data and files on besides your music. i recommend this to anyone, probably from ages 10 and up, would also make an ideal gift. Good job Sony!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 9:06 PM BST

Back from the Brink: The Autobiography
Back from the Brink: The Autobiography
by Paul McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest footballer to have ever lived!, 8 Sept. 2012
As a Villa fan of 46 years, I have seen countless Villa games since i first attended Villa Park in 1972 at the age of 6. I had many heroes as a youngster, Gray, Little, Shaw, Withe, Deehan and the like. I followed Villa home and away regularly between 1985 and 1997. Fortunately these years included Paul McGraths career at Villa Park. We have Graham Taylor to thank for resurrecting Paul's career and also allowing Villa fans of the time, the chance to witness this legend. Any Villa fan that saw Paul Play, knows all about the great memories he gave us, my personal favourite being his header against forest in the early 90's at the city ground, where Macca towered above a static Roy Keane and headed the only goal of the game in front of a packed away end. The odd occasion where he missed a villa game because he had a couple of shandys the night before, was overlooked because he was held in such high regard by the fans, anyone else would have been villified. This man gave 110 per cent every game and loved the Villa, just as we loved him, just as we still do. Yes, he has been to hell and back and most of us will never understand what it is like to see these dark days. You probably wont ever read this Macca, but you were the last of the greats at Villa Park, in an age where money talks, you were genuine, and in the same way as people were lucky to see Ali fight or Elvis sing, we saw you play for the Villa mate, and I can sleep easy at night!!, ooh ahh Paul McGrath!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 9:23 AM GMT