Profile for Ann C > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Unthinkable
Unthinkable

5.0 out of 5 stars A very powerful film!, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Unthinkable (Amazon Video)
A tremendous indictment of humanity. It's a salutary reminder of the horrors we may all be capable of. (Should be required viewing for all psychology students!) Well worth watching.
Extreme violence.

3 Truths and a Lie (A Detective D.D. Warren Short Story)
3 Truths and a Lie (A Detective D.D. Warren Short Story)

2.0 out of 5 stars Read Lisa Gardner's novels - but not this., 22 Jan. 2016
Not up to Lisa Gardner's usual high standard. Slightly interesting, perhaps, if you yourself write. Go for her novels, which are brilliantly written (but give 'The Perfect Husband' a miss - it's Gardner's first novel, and it shows). This story, though, is not so clever, and the conclusion doesn't even make a lot of sense, as (slight spoiler here) expensive clothes are not going to shed glitter.

Anself Hand-Operated Yarn Winder Ball Winder Fiber Wool Machine New Type Fast String Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 20 Jan. 2016
Excellent. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Child 44
Child 44

3.0 out of 5 stars I hope the book is better., 19 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Child 44 (Amazon Video)
Very atmospheric, and it's frightening to think that society could actually be like this.
But many of the accents are very,very bad. And even the best of them make the film more difficult to understand. I found the story difficult to follow in places. And the idea of (slight spoiler here) injections making someone 'crave the blood of children' - what????
I wish I'd read the book instead. It has to be better - and Tom Rob Smith's book 'The Farm' is very good.

Unknown
Unknown

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Unknown (Amazon Video)
I watched this because I've seen other Neeson films and enjoyed them. What a disappointment. I expected the outcome to be reasonably plausible, but what we're expected to believe here about Neeson's character is beyond ridiculous. Oh, and in the end we're still supposed to be rooting for him.
Far too much 'action' too - car chases and fighting don't float my boat!

The Good Girl
The Good Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book, which has to say something about it, but the ending was so disappointing I wondered why I had bothered. The storyline was simply not worth it. The best thing I can say about it is that it's intelligently written.
And there was so much talk of sex, constantly throughout the book, that I couldn't help but feel that part of the writer's intention was to be mildly outrageous ('See, I'm not too inhibited to talk about sex') and to mildly titillate.
And the seventeen-year-old girl was 100 times more mature than any girl of that age I have ever met!

7 Day Cleaning And Organizing Blueprint - The 7 Day Cleaning And Organizing Guide For Beginners To Become De - Cluttered (Cleaning And Organizing Guide, ... Organizing, 7 Day Blueprint For Beginners)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this., 4 Aug. 2015
Very basic and very short - it took me about 5 minutes to read. Almost all the advice is pure common sense, and there is actually very little of it! There is no 7-day cleaning plan - where that title comes from I have no idea. The book is badly organised, and badly edited and proofread (or probably not proofread at all). The English is a little stilted in places and I suspect that English is not the author's first language - either that or her written English is just plain poor. Definitely not recommended.

Keep Your Friends Close
Keep Your Friends Close

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story from Paula Daly, 28 May 2015
Paula Daly's first novel was excellent, and so is this one. A definite page turner. The only criticisms I have are that at first that things moved too quickly (Sean falls for Eve within a day or so without any background given about possible earlier attraction, and almost immediately Natty is shunted out of the house), and the fact that Natty actually knows so little about someone who was supposedly a best friend.
Daly's writing stye is chatty and flows easily. Natty is a flawed but believable protagonist; we don't find out just how flawed till very late in the story, and even then I for one remain in sympathy with her. There are several twists in the tale, and the final outcome is excellently planned by the author. I will certainly read Paula Daly's next books.

The Doll's House: DI Helen Grace 3 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)
The Doll's House: DI Helen Grace 3 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, 15 May 2015
This book kept me turning the pages. The story was fast-paced and I did want to know what happened next.
But the what I did NOT like were several things that didn't quite follow. The victim was imprisoned in a completely dark room, yet she was able to read, and apply make-up using a mylar mirror. She was wakened lying in bed and she 'looked at her shoes'. She stood up at one point seemingly without any difficulty even though she had several broken bones. She awoke (badly injured) in the bed and somehow managed to reach down to a loose brick underneath it - strange since the bed was pressed against the wall. People spent more than 10 minutes in a smoke filled area where fire was burning before passing out. And the reasons for (slight spoiler here) dismissing two suspects were completely inadequate, especially the first.
Arlidge needs to think the story through rather better - I suspect this was written rather quickly and without adequate editing. So many things like this spoil a novel for me. For these reasons I could not give the book 5 stars: 3.5 might be more accurate than 4.
Think your story through better and pay attention to the small details, M.J.Arlidge, and you'll get more 5-star reviews.

Cell 211
Cell 211

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 2 May 2015
This review is from: Cell 211 (Amazon Video)
Good film which held my interest throughout. There is a fair bit of stereotyping, but the film draws attention to the fact that good and bad are not always on the sides we might expect them to be. And shows us what a law-abiding person could be driven to. The fact that it's in Spanish with subtitles is not off-putting. There is a fair bit of violence, so be warned.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6