Profile for SlayerKat > Reviews

Content by SlayerKat

SlayerKat "Geek Mum" (East Sussex, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tefal DR8085 Access Steam Garment Steamer - White and Blue
Tefal DR8085 Access Steam Garment Steamer - White and Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Not easier than ironing, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to give this a whirl because I hate hate hate ironing and I've used a small, travel version before which was quite effective. I like to sew and sometimes I need to flatten the fabric and a handheld steamer is perfect for this (it also deodorises the fabric so no need to prewash either). I don't actually own an ironing board so anything that makes my life easier gets a massive thumbs up from me! However I don't think the Tefal has made my life any easier. Firstly for the travel version it's still huge! I can't imagine what it's big brother must look like. It's also very heavy even without the water in it. It does have a lovely long cable and comes with 2 accessories (a brush and drip catcher). I used it with the drip catcher because that's something that annoyed me about my little travel steamer. It's pretty straightforward to use out of the box although I couldn't find the water tank. Quick look in the manual and it's part of a recess in the handle. You simply pull it out, remove the rubber seal fill it with water and stick it back in. It takes 200ml which doesn't seem very much at all. Turn it on with big button and use the switch to control the steam. It did heat up really quickly and you could see the steam. You can 'lock' the switch down for continuous steam or just press it. But this is heavy hard work! Just holding the thing up for a few minutes and I was getting a work out! (Who needs the gym eh!) but it just seemed like more work than actually ironing. I did a couple of dresses and my husband's work shirt. None of which were particular creased to begin with and just needed a freshening up. The drip catcher doesn't really work - everything still got wet. I also think it inhibited the steam but I couldn't take it off until the whole thing had cooled down again and I was too impatient for that. With the garments on a coat hanger over the wardrobe door, I did my best. Nothing really seemed to be happening and ended up having to press the Tefal against the garment against the door. Which to me just seemed like vertical ironing! And my arms were killing me at this point. The steamer just seemed to make wet marks and add creases in other places. I think I did a fairly good job although hubby didn't notice I'd done his shirt. My dresses seem to come off a lot better and look more wearable. Just seemed like such a lot of work for little results. There is no cut off for the steamer (the instructions say it does 10 minutes). That seemed about right. There is no indicator that the water was low but it did start making an awful chugging sound which I think was its way of telling me it had had enough. My arms had had enough. It has a very sturdy base so I popped it on my dressing table. The on/off switch didn't actually seem to turn it off so I switched it off at the mains and it stopped. I left it to cool down before storing it away again. I really want to love this steamer but I'm put off giving it another go. It wasn't easier than ironing!

Fisher-Price Princess Chime Doll
Fisher-Price Princess Chime Doll

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute first dolly for an under one, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this doll to go with the Fisher Price buggy but she's a lot smaller than I expected and she doesn't really do anything. Even the 2 year old I gave it to thought it was too babyish! The age range is 6-36 months but definitely better suited to the younger end of the spectrum. The dolls i very soft and cuddly. And the chiming noise it makes when rattled is quite appealing but the two year old bored of it quite quickly preferring to use 'proper baby dolls'. We think the plastic crown part would be good for a teething baby to munch on!

Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll
Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars New character for Monster High fans, 31 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ten year old loved this doll. As a collector of Monster High dolls she has a few the same so it was great to get a new character. She had never heard of the daughter of the Rat King but there is a character background story on the box to fill you in. I think this character must be really new and possibly from this year 2015. My daughter really loved that the doll came with a stand and now wishes all the dolls came with stands so she could display them. The doll has lovely hair and clothes and the cutest little rat ears and tail. The box she comes in is bigger than other dolls in the range so I think this one is priced higher.

Monster High Boo York City Draculaura Doll
Monster High Boo York City Draculaura Doll
Offered by Bargainmax Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly faulty, 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 10 year old is a bit disappointed with this doll. She's had lots of Monster High dolls before but the quality of this one is disappointing. When my daughter opened up the box I heard a little 'oh' and it seems this doll has a lot of glue stuck in her hair. Her hair is all stuck together. Anyone who knows anything about little girls and dolls is the hair is really important! This is such a shame as Draculaura is my daughter's favourite character as well. This could just be a one off but the price you pay for these dolls it is really frustrating. This version doesn't come with a stand either and the presentation box is smaller so note it's not part of the new 2015 range which come with display stands.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2016 1:29 PM GMT

Murad Time Release Blemish Cleanser 200 ml
Murad Time Release Blemish Cleanser 200 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Luxury facial care, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so excited about trying this product because I love trying out facial care products especially high end market ones! I thought Murad might be in the same league as Dermalogic (which I love) because the prices are similar. The bottle is much bigger than I thought it would be so really good value for money as it's expensive. I suffer from adult acne and I had really hoped this product would help. I basically stopped using my usual product and switched to this to give it a proper test. It doesn't actually say on the bottle how often to use it (only how to use it - wet face, wash and rinse) so I use it twice a day morning and evening like I do with my normal face wash. I have a rule to always wash off my make up every night to try to avoid spots. It has a really lovely texture to wash with and a pleasant smell that's non chemically and non perfumed. It reminds me a bit of camphor and definitely smells like a Dermalogica product of which I can't remember the name!

After a couple of weeks of using it, I can honestly say my face doesn't feel any different to using my normal high street product. In fact my acne has been awful. Although I cannot contribute this to using the Murad directly as other factors could be involved. I've gone back to using my normal product to see if I can get rid of the latest batch of spots. I will return to using the Murad at some point because I really want to like it as it's so lovely to use. I can only suggest you get a sample of it and try it and see for yourself.

Becky Mantin Nappy Grab Bag All-in-One Disposable Changing Bag--Size 6, Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Parental luxury, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, I have no idea who Becky Mantin is. I'm tempted to Google her but seeing as it makes no difference to the product it doesn't really matter. When these arrived they come neatly stacked into a cardboard box (inside Amazon's outer packaging box). No fancy packaging on the outside. But the little nappy packs are really cute. The "grab bag" is slightly bigger than I had imagined in my head but yes still small enough to pop one into your handbag or rucksack or nappy bag or buggy bag or whatever. I have to confess they are pretty cool. And a really clever idea. You unfold the pack which is a large rectangle piece of plastic with a folded over bit at the end. It also has a sticky tab at the other end for disposable. What I wanted these for is because my young son is disabled and I often have to change him in really grotty places on the floor because he is too big for the changing table. The 'mat' is just a thin bit of plastic with no padding or anything but does provide a suitable surface to keep his precious bottom away from dirty floors. In the pack you also get 4 mini sealed wipes and a calendula nappy cream sachet both from reputable brands. The only pain with the wipes is getting them open. I would suggest you pre-open them and get them ready before embarking on the nappy changing mission. The nappy that comes with this set is Nature nappy which is a good quality eco nappy in it's own right. I'm glad they chose the eco nappy to use in the set rather than Pampers. However, I do find these nappies come up very small and the size 6 which I'm reviewing is too small for my older son but will be okay in emergencies I guess which is what I wanted these packs for! I think the smaller sizes for younger babies will be much more beneficial particularly if you have a toilet trainer when you don't want to carry loads of nappies around with you but need the odd emergency one. I can't really see you using these with a newborn as they just need changing too often! This set is getting 4 stars from me. It's too expensive to get 5. Let's face it this is a disposable product nightmare! But it's a total luxury too! Sometimes us parents need a bit of luxury. As long as you're not using these everyday for every nappy change (maybe the Princess does!) but for us civilians just keeping a few for lazy emergencies is okay.

Fisher-Price Stroll-Along Musical Walker
Fisher-Price Stroll-Along Musical Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to assemble but lovely once built, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is such a cute toy for a little girl (or boy!). It was a bit fiddly to put together so loses a star. You will need to dig out a screwdriver. There are lots of little screws to insert but easily managed with just one person. It takes 3 x AA batteries which ARE NOT included so be prepared. The parts feel a bit flimsy individually but once assembled it's a very sturdy toy. It's a lovely height for the tall 2 year old who tested this out. The pushchair plays a sweet tune when in motion and/or when the child presses the button. It also has an off switch which comes in handy! The switch is quite discreet so a small person probably won't play with it unless she sees someone adjust it. There are 2 volume settings for the music which is a bonus but it might not take long for a smart toddler to work out how to switch it herself! It works on motion so just moving it (or in her case stomping past it) will set it off! It would have been good if it had an option just to make noise when the button is pressed. It is girly and pretty and little girls will love the lights.

Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Daring Dragon Drop
Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Daring Dragon Drop
Offered by AAA Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to put together but fun when working, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We love Takealong Thomas in our house and have many sets. I really liked the look of this one because it had added lights and sounds and batteries are included! Be aware the box it comes in is huge! I've learned from previous experience that these sets need a lot of assembly so I snuck off into another room to secretly build it without Thomas fan watching. It was fiddly to put together. It came with black and white pictorial instructions but was still fiddly. No screwdriver required but did need scissors to cut plastic ties. Once constructed it's reasonably sturdy but make no mistake this is not Takealong! Yes it folds up smaller but this is still huge and not something you're going to pop in your handbag for a day out. My son was thrilled with it and it kep him entertained for hours. It comes with a Thomas train which has a cute little plastic shield that attaches to the front if the train (nice touch) . You load Thomas into the basket push down the mountain top and he goes whizzing off in the basket. We found it didn't always line up properly and Thomas goes off the rails but who cares all part of the fun. There's not much beyond the same game play but It also connects with other Takealong Thomas sets so make a giant track system like we did. This is a fun track but not worth full RRP in my opinion. If you can get it on sale this will make any young Thomas fan very happy for a few hours.

Felix Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, 100 g (Pack of 96)
Felix Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, 100 g (Pack of 96)
Offered by BuyAllMeans

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money, 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are three very fussy eaters, who normally alternate between a couple of premium brands. We hadn't tried Felix for ages, so our human was delighted to find that we went mad for it. We loved the jelly especially. Of course our human had to throw in the odd premium sachet too, to make sure we didn't bore of it (she's well trained). Our human has certainly saved money since getting this giant box delivered!

Philips AVENT SCF156/01 Standard Nipple Protectors
Philips AVENT SCF156/01 Standard Nipple Protectors
Offered by Wholesale Deals Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for new mums, 11 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These nipple shields are an absolute life saver for new mums who are struggling to breastfeed. They are slightly more sturdy than other brands I have used but still work just as well. If baby is having trouble latching the nipple shields help baby to learn. Particularly if you are mix feeding as babies get confused between bottle and breast (the way to latch is different). If you have been mainly bottle feeding and want to 'teach' baby to latch on the breast, the nipple shields can help bridge that gap. They are also invaluable if you have a lot of discomfort and dare I say it bleeding and/or cracked nipples. Just make sure to wash and sterilise them thoroughly between feeds as they are a germ breeding ground. Also sensible to have several pairs for this reason. When I make up new baby gift bags for my expectant mums I like to pop a pair of these in. Even if you don't end up using them it can be very reassuring to have a pair in the house just in case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20