Profile for Samuel > Reviews

Content by Samuel
Top Reviewer Ranking: 456

Samuel "Samuel"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Vie Nutra Supplement All In One Complete Bio Advanced Liquid Formula Including Multi Vitamins, Minerals, Superfoods and Amino Acids Now With AREDS 2 - Orange Flavour 149 Active Ingredients 500ml (Man 50+)
Offered by Superfooduk

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad aftertaste, indigestion, and incovenient, 10 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This supplement is somewhat different to the ones I take (as a man who is almost 50), in that it's in liquid form rather than tablets. Having tried this now for a few days, there is good and bad to report.

The good? Well, it contains 100% of the RDA (in some cases more than 100%) of just about all the vitamins and minerals one can think of.

The bad? Well, where to start. Firstly, whilst it tastes reasonably okay, it does leave a rather nasty aftertaste in my mouth that seems to linger for hours, even if I use mouthwash or clean my teeth to try to get rid of it. Secondly, it's given me bad (and I mean really bad) indigestion. At first I wasn't sure if it was the supplement causing it, but after three days of indigestion shortly after taking, I skipped a day -- and no indigestion. Next day -- back on the supplement, and indigestion. And, finally, the fact that it is a liquid is pretty inconvenient. It needs refrigerating once opened, has a life once refrigerated that exactly matches the number of doses in the bottle, so if you skip a day it goes to waste and, as it is a bottle that needs refrigerating, if you're travelling or away from home, you can't just stick it in your bag and take it with you as you can with tablets.

Given the RDAs quoted, I'm sure this supplement is worthwhile and does the job. However, the flaws -- the aftertaste, the indigestion, the inconvenience -- mean that I can't recommend this. Disappointing.

The White Road
The White Road
by Sarah Lotz

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story, 6 Mar. 2017
This review is from: The White Road (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've enjoyed Sarah Lotz's previous books, so had high expectations of The White Road -- and I wasn't disappointed. The book is effectively two stories - the first involves Si, the principal character, when a caving expedition goes badly wrong, and the fall-out from this. The second half switches to a climb up Mount Everest, where there is a strange connection between the climber and Simon from the first story...

If I found the first part of the story gripping, then this was nothing compared to the Everest part of the book, which is very exciting. One empathises with the lead characters, and as things get tense, it's hard to put the book down. I'm often quite good at working out denouements to stories (even denouements that are unexpected), but I must admit that hear I failed badly, so the book kept me hooked right until the end.

This is an interesting, exciting, thriller that kept my attention, and made me wish there was more to read by the author. Definitely recommended -- well written, characters that are interesting and three-dimensional, and just a good story, Four stars.

Hallmark Someone Special Mother's Day Card "Big Love" - Medium
Hallmark Someone Special Mother's Day Card "Big Love" - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and affectionate without being soppy or in poor taste, 6 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nice Mother's Day card. It's medium-sized, looks of good quality, and, most importantly, is just nice and affectionate without being too soppy or having a useless joke on it. Not everybody wants amusing or overly gushing cards -- they just want one that is plain-ish and says it all without resorting to mush or bad humour. This is ideal in this regard. Recommended.

House of Marley Stir It Up Turntable - Bamboo/Black
House of Marley Stir It Up Turntable - Bamboo/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-built, good-sounding turntable, 2 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ancient (well, 25 year-old) Rega Planar 3 recently died, and whilst I don't play as much vinyl these days as I used to, I still have a large selection of records that I like to play every now and then -- and quite a large number of recent releases that I don't really dare open and play, as they are worth quite a lot of money! I was looking for a turntable that would give good sound quality and enable output to PC, etc, in case I wanted to rip any of my vinyl.

I've previously had some House of Marley earphones which I found to be really good, and so far I've been very impressed with their Stir It Up turntable. It's built out of sustainable materials (eg the plinth is made of bamboo, which is unusual), which seems to be the House of Marley trademark -- and explains the lack of a lid to the turntable, as perspex or similar isn't really a sustainable product.

The turntable is quite easy to setup; the drive belt needs fitting, and a counterweight fitting to the tonearm, which took two or three minutes (being sometimes a clumsy person, I'm always scared of breaking things like this). The build quality is good, and, importantly, the turntable comes with an (albeit bottom-of-the-range) Audiotechnica cartridge, which is a big step up from many other turntables that seem to be on the market.

In terms of output, you have a choice of using the inbuilt pre-amp, or of connecting to your own pre-amp, and then obviously to your own speakers (this turntable doesn't have inbuilt speakers, in case that isn't clear). I initially used the inbuilt pre-amp,and found the sound was slightly disappointing, and lacking the richness of my previous turntable - this was playing both through my ancient Mission 750LE speakers, and through a Sonos Play 5. Hooking up to my Graham Slee pre-amp, however, the sound was very impressive indeed.

Having now used the turntable for around three weeks, I'm very impressed indeed. I'll probably be upgrading the cartridge to make things even better, but this is simply a well-built, good-sounding turntable, that is even better when not using the inbuilt pre-amp. I have had to play around a bit with the tonearm to get the balance correct - for some reason I've found that when playing 7"s, it will skip sometimes -- but after a vinyl-free six or nine months since my previous turntable went west, I'm loving listening to my vinyl again. This is a really good thing that I'm hoping to get years of enjoyment from. Definitely recommended.

The Perfect Cosmetics Company My Perfect Eyes Cream 100 Applications
The Perfect Cosmetics Company My Perfect Eyes Cream 100 Applications

2.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant crust under the eyes, 2 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Both my wife and I are fast approaching middle-age (it's funny how one's definition of middle-age seems to change, the older one gets!), and my wife got this to try to make under her eyes look better and smoother. It's fair to say that she's rather disappointed with it. It's easy to apply, but she's found that once on it feels like having a hard crust under her eyes -- and, if you look closely, you can even this. It's possible to conceal this with make-up, but she just says that it feels really odd and rather unpleasant when on. She won't be using it again. Disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2017 11:51 AM GMT

AmazonBasics Clear Plastic Storage Boxes with Lids - 62 Liters - Pack of 3
AmazonBasics Clear Plastic Storage Boxes with Lids - 62 Liters - Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars AmazonBasics boxes, but not at all basic quality, 28 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
AmazonBasics products are generally anything but basic, and these storage boxes are certainly no exception. This is a review of the 62 litre boxes (I see that reviews for all sizes are on the same page).

The boxes are made of a very sturdy transparent plastic; I greatly prefer this to opaque boxes as it is easy to see what's inside. The lids fit well, and there are handles on each end of the box to assist with lifting. The lids fit well, and are slightly indented so that the boxes can be stacked easily. There's no mention as to how many it's safe to stack on top of each other, but I've so far stacked three very full boxes without issue.

These are really well-made, strong storage boxes that will ensure that whatever's inside stays safe, and, as I've said, aren't basic at all. Recommended.

The Primal Pantry Cocoa Orange Paleo Protein Bars, Pack of 15
The Primal Pantry Cocoa Orange Paleo Protein Bars, Pack of 15

3.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, high protein, natural, but also high sugar, 28 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What one thinks of these Paleo bars is really down to the type of diet you want to follow. The bars taste very nice indeed, although they do have a slightly odd texture, and can't be faulted on this front at all. However, the nutritional values are not quite as expected.

The protein content is high, as expected (10g per bar), and, as this is a paleo product, it is made of all natural ingredients -- as is borne out by the ingredients list on the packets. However, they are VERY high in sugar, presumably from the fruit used in the recipe, with 23g of sugar per bar; this is almost half of the weight of each 55g bar. As such, they will not be suitable for anybody who is trying to maintain a low-sugar diet.

If you're okay with the high sugar content, then these are really tasty, high in protein, and a good thing. However, with sugar being now seen as an evil and the cause of the high incidence of diabetes, even such levels of natural sugar are a reason for me to avoid these bars. If you're not worried about that, then these are for you.

Hallmark Mother's Day Card "Perfect" - Medium
Hallmark Mother's Day Card "Perfect" - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and sends a nice message, 24 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice medium-sized Mother's Day Card with a floral design featuring a hippo picking flowers and then holding them as a bouquet, presumably to present to his or her mother. It's quite affectionate but too cloying, either in terms of the design or the message on the front and inside, and is a nice card to give. Hallmark cards are normally of good quality, and this is no exception. It's attractive, and definitely sends a nice message. Recommended.

Hallmark Mum Mother's Day Card "Loving Message" - Large
Hallmark Mum Mother's Day Card "Loving Message" - Large
Offered by Shop Inc

4.0 out of 5 stars Traditional-style floral card, 24 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a large traditional-style Mother's Day card -- traditional in that it's to 'mother', not 'mum' or 'mummy', is tastefully decorated with a floral design, and contains a message that isn't too soppy or 'amusing'. It would no doubt suit an adult giving a card to their mother -- it's affectionate, without being gut-wrenchingly saccharin, and looks nice and attractive. Recommended.

BuzzPinky Lockabox Discreet Storage for Your Sensual Products
BuzzPinky Lockabox Discreet Storage for Your Sensual Products
Offered by BuzzPinky UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for discreet or general storage, 24 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is marketed as a storage box for sex toys; however, in reality it's simply a standard Lockabox (we own one of these already), but rebranded as somewhere to store one's, ahem, intimate belongings. Take it out of the packaging, and it's basically just a fairly small secure lockable box in which one can keep anything.

It's a bit larger than one might expect (12" x 8" x 6.5"), and is made of very sturdy plastic - which is breathable, as it contains airholes. This means that it can be used for food as well - I wish I'd had one of these many years ago when in a shared student house, as it could have been used to stop everyone nicking my food. It locks using a three-digit combination, which whilst not the most secure thing ever known to man, will at least deter people as obviously it would take quite a long time to find the right combinations.

In summary, this is good for the intended discreet storage, but good for storing anything, really.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30