Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Birmingham, England)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Offered by InkandTonerDeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Tab 2 7.0 or Kindle Fire HD? Samsung wins!, 31 Dec. 2012
I spent a lot of time researching which tablet to buy and it came down to this or the Kindle Fire HD.(I didn't want to pay for the iPad mini) I'm very glad I went with this...

What do I like the most? I have a Samsung smart phone and it synced upon startup which was great, so it automatically installed all the same apps that I have installed onto my phone with one click. It has an external memory card slot (i've just added 32gb of storage for £15 - Micro SDHC). The screen size is perfect for sitting on the sofa or up in bed to mooch online, check emails etc. I've comfortably sat and watched a bit of iplayer and the screen was a nice size to watch.

Why this over the Kindle? I am an android phone user so i am already comfortable with the android operating system. The kindle fire HD runs on the amazon app store which does not have as many apps and ones that are free on the android store aren't on the amazon store - that may not bother you but I do not pay for applications. The SD card slot gives me a lot of extra storage. It has a camera, 3mp, it's not going to replace my actual camera or phone camera but it's nice to have and I have used it. Lots of customisation options - you have several front screen pages that you can add widgets to, like a weather forecast, or a mini email preview, or a clock and then your main apps page - your main menu. You can add folders, organise things, customise in many ways. The Kindle has a thumbnail menu approach giving you the logo of each app in the centre of the screen then you scroll one way or another - I've heard (but may be wrong) that you can't add folders to group apps together, and within 7 days of owning the Samsung tab 2 7.0 i've installed upwards of 40 apps, i don't fancy scrolling through those everytime i quickly want to open something. The battery is lasting well (i've charged it twice in 12 days with quite heavy use), and i love the pull down quick preview screen to adjust brightness, turn the sound off, rotate the screen as well as view notifications - saves a lot of time.
Overall, I am over the moon with this and am very glad I went with it over the Kindle. Granted it doesn't have the HD resolution that the Kindle offers - but on a 7inch screen it really doesn't make that much difference. In my opinion all the advantages of the Samsung outweigh the one advantage of the Kindle. Enjoy!