Profile for Rachel Parris > Reviews

Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Too scary, 7 Sept. 2013
Way too scary.

but effective.

No wildlife in our garden no more. All ran off due to terrifying owl spector. We live in fear. Its eyes...

Boom Boom Boom Boom [CD 1]
Boom Boom Boom Boom [CD 1]
Offered by Horray for Summer!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars a downhill turn?, 7 Sept. 2013
Inevitably, the composition, orchestration and vocal dexterity is second to none, I fear that the quality of the lyrics marks a downward turn after the glory days of We Like To Party. worrying.

STEVE McFADDEN - Canvas Clock (A5 - Signed by the Artist) #js002
STEVE McFADDEN - Canvas Clock (A5 - Signed by the Artist) #js002
Offered by Seasons Original Art

4.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've ever seen, owned or thought about, 6 Sept. 2013
I have, in my life, owned between 5 and 7 clocks (6) and this is by a very long chalk the better out of all of them, that is to say, the best. The canvas on which Steve's face is subtly printed adds a soft and matte finish to an otherwise strikingly granite visage, and seeing said visage stretched over a rectangular frame seems to me to be an even better way of displaying it than God himself could ever have intended. The timekeeping cannot be faulted, but that function is secondary to the comfort and arousal which the product has enriched my life with. I carry it round the house, except when I go out, at which time i strap the clock to my wrist like a grotesque-sex-vision-Eastend-tittilation-watch. I have removed one star because it doesn't match my current underwear. Otherwise, glorious, and necessary.

There but for the
There but for the
by Ali Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, moving and unique, 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: There but for the (Paperback)
THis is a beautiful book. I would strongly advise anyone to read it for its explorations of childhood, relationships, bereavement, old age, the nature of history. I am usually a sucker for a killer plot line, especially a romantic one! I kept willing there to be one, then realised halfway through that the book is better than that, more subtle. There IS a plot and there ARE relationships between all the characters but they are... smaller, but somehow more complex, more like real-life, and they are described in such a stunning and moving way, that by the end you have all the plot you need. It made me cry in the bath.

BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12
BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was a kitten, then some words came out! wonderful!, 28 Aug. 2012
I am so happy about these "pens". Speaking as a woman, I have always found the written word something of a chore, and so have, up til last week, always left it to others to deal with things like that - writing, etc, and writing. and so on. I should mention at the juncture that I have the hands of a typical woman - no larger, same colour, hunky dory, some fingers, etc - same as every/all women/s/girls hand/s. I have two.
Well, last week, upon returning from a play session in a local sandpit, I found that my lovely friend had left a gift for me on my doorstep! I assumed it would be a kitten, or a soft towel. But no! Inside I found, to my distress, a box of pens. Naturally I ran from my house, crying. "why has my oldest friend sent me something so literally painful to me?! She knows that they are logistically impossible for me to hold and therefore are irrelevant to my life. Why didn't she send me a towel or mitten!?"
When I had regained my posture (and composure, to an extent) I re-entered my house and, on a brave whim, touched one of these pink lady-pens. Now I'm Tolstoy.
yey!
thankyou BIC. x
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 11:48 PM BST

QI: The Book of General Ignorance (The Noticeably Stouter Edition)
QI: The Book of General Ignorance (The Noticeably Stouter Edition)
by John Mitchinson

4.0 out of 5 stars like school lessons with your favourite teacher, 12 Jun. 2009
The idea of this book is to turn on its head all the received knowledge you have and make you better informed, while adding in a few pleasing anecdotes for good measure. It takes a collection of commonly held beliefs and puts you wiser about them, offering you the full and correct story. Henry VII had six wives? WRONG! Nelson's last words were "Kiss me, Hardy"? WRONG! Water is blue? WRO - no, actually that one's true, but I won't go into the chemical breakdown. Interspersed with choice quotes from the TV series, this collection of little known facts and stories are on the whole interesting, funny and I suppose more to the point, new to me. I wonder if at some point they ran out of commonly believed facts to shed light on, as some of the chapters are rather more obscure than the first few and a bit more like a school lesson. I have never really thought I knew what the densest element was, or what Croatia's largest contribution to world business is, and if I'm honest I've never really yearned to be enlightened about them. None the less, the variety of topics and the friendly, witty writing style help to make this book not only factually interesting, but also entertaining. Probably best enjoyed in small sections, rather than tackling the whole thing at once. Perfect one-upmanship material.

QI: Advanced Banter
QI: Advanced Banter
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars a treat to leaf through, 8 Jun. 2009
This review is from: QI: Advanced Banter (Hardcover)
Don't be put off by the use of the word "banter" and the exclusively contemporary quotations on the front cover: for once, "advanced banter" is not a clumsy reference to laddish innuendo but, as you might expect of the people at QI, the original and correct use of the term. This is a collection of clever, witty pleasantry which appeals to every generation. Ranging from Hegel to Hicks and from Iqbal to Izzard, it is a useful and moreover entertaining collection of quotations, arranged into broad and not-so-broad subjects such as "Money", "Persuasion" "Celery" and, the house favourite, "Legs". The wide range of sources ensures it avoids covering the same old quotations you could have read in a 1963 Reader's Digest edition. Yes, it has all the important classics in it but it is fresh and funny and contains so much more than the usual Shakespeare and Voltaire. If you're looking for quotations, this is the book you need.