Profile for cathy > Reviews

Content by cathy

cathy "cathy-w"

Page: 1 | 2
Strong Arm Tactics (Wolfe Pack Book 1)
Strong Arm Tactics (Wolfe Pack Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed discovering the characters and laughed aloud at some of ..., 15 Jan. 2017
I enjoyed discovering the characters and laughed aloud at some of the situations they got into as the plot developed. I'm hoping for more about them soon.

Sins & Shadows: A Shadows Inquiries Novel
Sins & Shadows: A Shadows Inquiries Novel
by Lyn Benedict
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars paranormal PI story - light read despite death and destruction, 19 Aug. 2009
Sylvie Lightner has had enough death and destruction and is trying to close her paranormal detective agency 'Shadows Inquiries'. Unfortunately she has a new client who is so powerful (a god) that she is coerced into investigating for him. Unfortunately the people she contacts during the investigation seem to end up mostly dead or damaged. Interesting urban world, interesting characters, death and destruction, some romance but it still didn't rate 4 stars. I suspect the problem for me is that the emotional impact wasn't dark enough for the plot.

After Twilight
After Twilight
by Amanda Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars only for Christine Feehan fans, 19 Aug. 2009
Christine Feehan delivers a good story in the 'Dark' series. - 4 stars for her. If you're hooked on the dark series, buy the book for that. If not, check out the Dark series instead.

I didn't like either of the others much - 2 stars each for them. One is a hero giving up the woman he loves for her own sake - over and over again..

Beneath a Rising Moon
Beneath a Rising Moon
by Keri Arthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the second in the series, 19 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Beneath a Rising Moon (Paperback)
I read the second in the series first and enjoyed it very much. That's about Neva's sister investigating crimes and dealing with a man out of her past. I was hoping for a plot more focussed on Neva's telepathy/empathy and didn't get it. My problem with it is that the hero attempts to control the heroine through sex which just pushes my buttons. Otherwise it was an OK read.

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series)
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series)
by Keri Arthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start to series, 30 Dec. 2007
I liked this enough to buy the next 4 books in the series. I like the universe, the plot and the cast of characters. What really let it down for me was the sex - there was a lot of it and it was boring. I can live with a werewolf having sex with a lot of different people if I have to, but not boring sex scenes! It felt mechanical rather than emotional which works intellectually in this "sex is just another hunger" universe, but it just doesn't work for me as a reader. It's not a good sign when sex scenes don't hold your attention. Maybe that will get better. It took Laurell Hamilton a long time to graduate from writing good foreplay to good sex scenes.

The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 1
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Book 1
by Patrick Rothfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent present!, 30 Dec. 2007
The best book I've read in a long time and I've been devouring fantasy and SciFi for years. I really don't want to wait a year for more! I've heard it described as "Harry Potter for grown-ups" and "Robin Hobb without the whiny bits".

I didn't feel that it was too long at all. I think I actually read every word which is very unusual for me. I tend to find I've been speed reading without meaning to and skipping paragraphs here and there. The fact that I was actually reading all of it means that he got the balance pretty much right in a lot of ways. He explains and describes without too much detail - no lengthy techno-babble or military history a la David Weber, no political rants a la John Ringo, no lengthy descriptive binges or introspective whiny bits etc etc. I liked the Sheherazade structure and the first person didn't bother me at all. I think it works well because the protagonist is telling the story of his past rather than living it day by day.

Shadow Leader (Tales of the Wolves)
Shadow Leader (Tales of the Wolves)
by Tara K. Harper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars confused until I realised I'd picked up bk 2 in series, 28 Oct. 2007
I liked Wolf in Night very much and dug this one out of my cupboard to re-read. I only gave it 3 stars because I remember it didn't really impress - mainly because it was part of a series I didn't know and I was looking for something that stood alone. Anyway I hunted up the list of the whole series online and I'm going to buy some others:-

Wolfwalker Series
1. Wolfwalker (1990)
2. Shadow Leader (1991)
3. Storm Runner (1993)
4. Grayheart (1996)
5. Wolf's Bane (1997)
6. Silver Moons, Black Steel (2001)
7. Wolf in Night (2005)
8. Ghost Wolf (2007)

When Demons Walk
When Demons Walk
by Patricia Briggs
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars synopsis is wrong. this is the third novel in a series, 28 Oct. 2007
This is one of Patricia Briggs earlier novels and is currently available on amazon.com though not here - oct 2007. It's the third book in the Sianim series. First book was Masques which is hard to find - try e-bay. Second was Steal the Dragon which I liked.

She's a good writer. The Hob's bargain seems to be the most popular in the UK, but my favourites are Dragon bones and Dragon blood. They have nothing to do with Steal the Dragon.

Blood And Ivory: A Tapestry
Blood And Ivory: A Tapestry
by P. C. Hodgell

3.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories, 6 May 2004
This is a collection of short stories, don't buy it unless you are a die hard fan of PC Hodgell. God Stalk, Dark of the Moon etc are excellent stories and worth 5 stars. Some of the stories and art work are set in the same universe - others are not. I'm a big fan and I was disappointed.

The Charmed Sphere (Luna)
The Charmed Sphere (Luna)
by Catherine Asaro

3.0 out of 5 stars a new fantasy world from Catherine Asaro, 6 May 2004
This book from Catherine Asaro is firmly in the fantasy genre with a few major protagonists struggling to find enough magic to save the world. The system of magic is logical as you'd expect from a scientist author.
The Charmed Sphere is unconnected with the Skolian series and I missed the spaceships, new planets, scientific explanations and tortured family history. The whole book is much less complicated. I prefer the Skolian series.

Page: 1 | 2