Profile for Perugino > Reviews

Daydream Nation
Daydream Nation
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Daydream Nation (Audio CD)
I was too young for this when it was first released, although not by much. While I quickly caught up with the likes of the Pixies and Janes Addiction, for some reason Sonic Youth were not really on my teenage radar (other than a few songs from different albums). I have recently realised that I was missing something wonderful and the good news is, it's not too late. It sometimes gets criticised for being too mainstream, so you may want to look elsewhere if you prefer obscure, but for others I think the balance between melodic songs and harsher sounds is what makes this album so popular.

Pequenos Y Grandes Exitos
Pequenos Y Grandes Exitos

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the voice, 8 April 2014
There are some beautiful songs on here - and Luz Casal's voice show them off to perfection. There are also a few less interesting songs, which she gets away with because she sings them so well. Overall, this seems to be a good, representative collection, with all of the songs I was looking for on it.

The Corrections
The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen

1.0 out of 5 stars Bleak and relentless, 6 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Corrections (Paperback)
I hated this book. The following is an attempt to understand why I hated it so much and is less a review and more a catharsis.

Firstly, it is long. Franzen has much in common with that breed of film directors who believe that the worth of their celluloid is only proven if their audiences have numb arses when the lights finally (finally!) go up. Having said that, judicious editing would have provided only a local, not a general, anaesthetic. Length should not be important in assessing the merit of a novel, but whilst there are 1000 pagers which seem to race by leaving you longing for more, there is no avoiding the fact that reading 500+ pages is a commitment which demands a little love in return.

Sadly, no love is returned. The characters express no love and appear not to have been created with any. Other people have commented that you will only love or hate this book, which may be true, but the characters are pale and forgettable. I didn't care what happened to them, I didn't laugh at their jokes, I didn't enter into their (largely obscure) feelings.

The style is impenetrable - and this is the real problem with the book. Not only is the book overly long, but so are the chapters, paragraphs and sentences. I enjoy the use of a rich vocabulary as long as it is deployed to effect, so I don't share the criticisms of others in that regard. However, lexicographical ability alone does not lead to literary pleasure.

The book's saving grace - and all books must have a saving grace - is that I was able to give it away to a charity that sells books by the centimetre (whilst this technique may undervalue Muriel Spark, it gets more than full value out of Wilbur Smith). The Corrections will hopefully make that charity pots of money as it gets returned endlessly by disappointed readers.