Profile for Barry Pickthall > Reviews

Circle Line: Around London in a Small Boat
Circle Line: Around London in a Small Boat
by Steffan Meyric Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Circle Line - Around London in a small boat, 13 Dec. 2012
A great read...thoroughly recommended for anyone interested in boats, canals and Victorian enginuity. I took this book with me on a canal holiday and couldn't put it down. Circle Line tells the story of a forgotten waterway around one of the world's biggest capital cities - London, many parts of which have not changed since Dickensian days. It brought back fond memories of my own adventure with Bill Beavis back in the early 70s when we competed in the first Round London inflatable marathon. There were times then when we become totally lost - and engrossed in Victorian values, and had to poke our heads above the parapets to find out where we were in London. It is clear from Steffan Meyric Hughes' engaging narrative that things have not changed.
This is a book to keep on the bookshelf

Barry PickthallCircle Line: Around London in a Small Boat

Up My Particular Creek
Up My Particular Creek
by Valentine Howells

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailing into Solitude, 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Up My Particular Creek (Paperback)
A great yarn, telling us how it was during the pioneering days of solo trans-ocean sailing during the 1960s and '70s. A worthy read - Barry Pickthall