Profile for Mr. P. Gallacher > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Gallacher

Mr. P. Gallacher "Pedal Bike Pete" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire 1.3 mm² / 100 Feet
AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire 1.3 mm² / 100 Feet

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, good price., 3 Jan. 2016
This speaker cable is the stuff! Considering how cheap it was compared to others I've purchased, I'm shocked at how solid and thick the wiring is. Used to power home theatre speakers, no problem carrying a clear signal of 170 wats per channel

Motorola Moto 360 Mens Large Smartwatch and Heart Rate/Activity Tracker with Bluetooth Connectivity Compatible with iPhones and Android Smartphones - Cognac Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars An all round improvement to the original Moto 360, 3 Jan. 2016
I've been using this watch for a few months now and I love the thing! If I'm not wearing it, I get that same feeling as if I left my phone in the house.

So I should start by saying this is not my first smart watch. I've owned the original smart watch and smart watch 2 by Sony, had a good bit of hands on time with the smart watch 3 also, and I got the original Moto 360 at launch.

What I was looking for in a smart watch something that looked like a watch, something with a kind of traditional design and a round screen. I didn't want something that essentially just looked like a tiny mobile phone strapped to my wrist. This is why I chose the Moto 360 original. The watch great, as anyone would expect it took away the need for me to pull out my phone to check the time. Going past that though, eventually it stops you needing to pull out your phone to check anything. Any notifications on your phone are shown on your watch, and there are lots of apps that will actually allow you to respond directly from your wrist ether via touch or voice. Eventually at some point, I just got used to doing most things on it, and whenever I did have to get my phone out, I realised how annoying having to pull a phone out is.

The original wasn't perfect, it packed a slow processor which would hinder touch screen responsiveness at times, voice recognition speed was hindered as it seemed to take the watch a while to set up the voice link with the phone each time, and the processor sucked up the battery as well.

This is where the 2nd Gen really shines. The design elements are almost the same, same shape and size, same classic look to it. They added the lugs for the straps which make swapping bands easier, it also prevents the issue of stress cracks of the underside panel which the original had.

The new CPU makes the device much more responsive, voice recognition now works instantly with no delay and so does swiping through menus. The CPU is also more power efficient as now you get far more screen on time with the device than before.

The screen is brighter, now on par with screens on phones. The screen is sharper, jagged edges are much less noticable. The leather band is much nicer, and doesn't become horrible after a couple of months.

Battery life on the original made a day easy enough, even with always on screen mode enabled, keep in mind that the display actually turned off when the watch was in certain positions to save batter even though always on screen was enabled. The 2nd gen watch doesn't bother turning the screen off when sitting a certain way, so when always on screen is enabled, it truly is always on, yet the device will still easily surpass one day, I've managed to get a full 2 days with ambient mode as long as I switch the screen off while in bed. When not using ambient mode, then generally I can get at least 3 days of moderate use. With Bluetooth switched off, just using the device as a watch and nothing else, it will last you almost a week.

The one thing I was disappointed about was the lack of built in GPS. This watch will still depend on the GPS data provided by the phone in order to track your position. I knew this at the point of purchase, so I will not deduct anything from my review with regards to it but thought I might mention it in case it's something some one wants in there smartwatch.

Motorola Moto 360 Watch Screen Protector,NEXTANY® Edge Tempered Glass Smartwatch Protective Film Screen Protector Compatible for Motorola Moto 360 Smart Watch (Moto 360)
Offered by VIMVIP NEXTANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, and better than others I tried., 3 Jan. 2016
I put this on a good few months ago when I first got the watch just after trying another tempered glass protector. This one was far better, and has remained perfect since. The sizing is spot on, the edge has a little lip which keeps it from looking too harsh (like the other one I had), and the glass seems strong. If ever I need another, it will be one of these I get.

HD 0.2mm Tempered Glass Screen Protector for MOTO 360 - Retail Packaging
HD 0.2mm Tempered Glass Screen Protector for MOTO 360 - Retail Packaging

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe give this one a miss., 3 Jan. 2016
This was pretty disappointing. The glass was a good fit, however the edge wasn't rounded or anything so it was kind of noticeable on there. Also there were marks under the glass, this was not due to my application of the protector (I've been using tempered glass for years), I noticed the marks when the glass was still attached to the plastic that it arrives with. Ultimately this showed on the screen and so I replaced the glass with something else.

I'd recommend avoiding this one.

Sony SRSX55 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black
Sony SRSX55 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing speaker that sounds bigger than it is., 3 Jan. 2016
Well I have to say I'm very surprised with this speaker.

I have tried a lot of portable speakers in recent years, all varying in the £30 - £150 region. I've never hear one that sounds as good as this, that includes some much larger units that I've had the opportunity to listen to.

My main use was going to be as a kitchen and bathroom speaker and I actually thought this speaker was larger than it is, so when I opened it up I was worried that it was going to be a let down. Since listening to it I've decided to replace my other portable bluetooth speaker with this one, given that the sounds is not only far superior, but the unit is also more compact.

Most of my main listening is done on a home theatre system with 7.2 channel set up, large speakers and sub woofers. I spent a good amount of time tweaking the sound, making sure there was balanced frequency response all round. Doing that took a good amount of time, and it's not something you can get the benefit of doing on a portable bluetooth speaker. When I started listening to the X55 I was mind blown at just how amazingly balanced the audio was, crystal clear trebles that let you hear every instrument, clean solid mid range that gives the artist and the music a very strong presence, and the dedicated woofer provides such a deep low frequency response that is sustained throughout! Listening to a bass guitar, an acoustic grand or violin shows absolutely brilliant sound.

With regards to battery life, I haven't properly had to put it through it's paces. It says about 10 hours, I've only managed to reach about 6 hours or so before plugging back in. This was not due to me running out of juice, but rather just because I was near the outlet. So you can safely assume at least 6 hours of battery life, which I'm happy with as I always cut a manufacturer estimate in half when making a purchase.

Bluetooth, says the range is 10 metres line of sight however I've used it will about 15 metres and a wall between with no issue, and then on another device that only made it just 10 metres line of sight. This is clearly dependent on the device you're using, most top of the line smart phones will push bluetooth signals a lot farther than 10 metres.

Will charge your smartphone via USB, and will do it even if the speaker is not hooked up to the mains. Doing this probably isn't something you would want to do a lot since a smartphone could suck up a fair amount of the speakers juice. But I did find it particularly useful when listening to music via my smart watch, I was able to stick that on charge and have the music play off of that and that little watch barely takes any power.

Couple of additional points that may help buyers. I'm not normally some one who listens to music full blast, however for the sake of testing and reviewing I have tried. You will find that the unit holds up very well in terms of clarity, it doesn't break down and distort terribly which is nice. However, the woofer does run out of steam before the mid range, so eventually you will start to hear the louder music but with no increase to that rich base you will have notice before. The good news is that when listening to music at these louder volumes it stays clean, and the woofer does keep up for the majority of it. Also, if you're using a equalizer you would be best setting it back to normal before making adjustments to it after you have listened to the speaker in action. Making changes at the higher end generally works fine, but any increase to the low end can result in a poor response from the woofer.

Drop me a question if there's anything I've missed or anything you want to know.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hyundai Multicav Floor Standing Speakers (700W Max, Bass Reflex & Gold Speaker Terminals) - Black Ash Finish
Offered by Electronic-Star-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of my expectations, 16 Aug. 2015
Being as cheap as they were, I wasn't expecting much. I got 4 in total, using all of them as directional speakers in my home cinema. At first, that was all I needed them for but I eventually started using them for music also. I have to say they didn't disappoint. The sound is solid. Whatever the notes, the sound is sustained, strong and rich. Don't get me wrong, they are not absolutely outstanding or anything. If I paid more for them, then I'd maybe say 4 stars. But I didn't pay a lot for them, they were one of the cheaper ones in the range.

Auna Linie-300-CN-BK - loudspeakers (Black, Floor, Tabletop/bookshelf, Speaker set unit, Wired, Terminal, Wood)
Offered by Electronic-Star-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 16 Aug. 2015
Using it as the centre speaker in my home cinema. The speaker is clear and punchy. When first buying I was concerned that it could be too heavy at the low end for voices, but it's spot on. Voices sound clear, and not over produced.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2015 1:23 PM BST

[Magnector X-202] High Performance Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / Z3 Charging Cable - Enhanced Magnetic Connection and Charging Speed (Work for Z3 Compact and Tablet too)
Offered by 11 Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Aug. 2015
The magnet is strong and each to fit each time. It also supports the full speed charging, unlike a few of the others I've purchased in the past.

PortaPow 15 W Version 2 Rainproof Foldable Dual USB Solar Charger for Portable Electronics
Offered by PortaPow

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations., 16 Aug. 2015
Well I was pleasantly surprised by this. I use it to charge a large USB battery which is stored inside the pouch on the back. I did some measurements to see what kind of power is produced.

It works even when there is no sunlight, and even through glass. I've noticed that through windows the power getting to the USB ports drops by about 30 - 40%, I had no idea windows blocked that much usable light. That being said, during the day with no direct sunlight (Scotland) the device will still works. In these conditions we are looking at about half an amp, 2.5 wats. That is enough power to charge a phone or USB battery, would take about 2 - 3 times longer to charge than your wall charger.

When the sun comes out to play it's a different story. I only have one tester, so was not able to measure the total peak output power. However, I was able to charge my phone and tablet, both appeared to be charging at near there full speed. What I did though just to get some measurements, I tested the panels individually. There are 3 panels, so I folded the other 2 away and directed the remaining panel at the sun (not through glass). Each panel was able to make just under 1amp, so about 4.5 wats. Combining all 3 must get the power supply up to 12 - 13.5 wats.

I'm surprised to be honest, most of the time the power generated by a panel and the manufacturer description are quire off. In this case, I could see this panel possible producing the full 15 wats on a really clear sunny day.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2016 5:31 PM GMT

PortaPow V2 USB Power Monitor for Solar Panel/Mains Charger/USB Cable/PC
PortaPow V2 USB Power Monitor for Solar Panel/Mains Charger/USB Cable/PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to, 16 Aug. 2015
Not much I can say really, it tells you how much power is going through. Screen is clear, back light is a nice addition. Doesn't seem to interfere with the connected device ether.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10