Profile for J Hutch > Reviews

Content by J Hutch

J Hutch (North Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 29 Mar. 2015
It is the easy-to-read writing style, short chapters, and intriguing story line that made this a page turner. The author also openly presents the thoughts and feelings of all the main characters, making it easy to understand them. Perhaps I would have preferred the writing style to be a bit more subtle, but its a good book and I would recommend it.

Wake
Wake

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wake (Kindle Edition)
A moving story about three women trying to cope with the after effects of the first world world, grieving for those they have lost or adjusting to those who have come back from war changed men.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost and disappointed, 13 Mar. 2015
Unfortunately I found this very hard to follow because the story contained too many characters and it was written from the perspective of too many people. The author could have helped me a little by being more explicit through out about who was narrating and how they linked to the others in the story. I probably should have made notes, as I would do if I was working on something! I ended up reading it over about a month, partially because I lost my enthusiasm for it quite early on and this in turn meant I lost the track of the story and forgot more easily who was narrating it. Nevertheless, the general idea of the story is quite interesting and the author definitely has a nice way with words, as I found with his two previous best sellers - which I really enjoyed. If you decide to read this one I would suggest setting aside time to get through large chunks of it at a time - and perhaps draw out a family tree and write the narrator on each chapter!

The Snow Child
The Snow Child
by Eowyn Ivey

4.0 out of 5 stars A good winter read, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Snow Child (Paperback)
Although based around a fairy tale, it is written so you are kept guessing whether it is meant to be a fantasy or not. It also tells of the hardships of making a living from the land and the longing of wanting your own child. A good read.

The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2
The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2
by Graeme Simsion

3.0 out of 5 stars Less enamoured, 28 Feb. 2015
After well and truly singing the praises of the first book 'The Rosie Project', unfortunately I found myself less enamoured with this second book. Don and Rosie's characters seemed different to me from the first book, and the story seemed more farcical than the feel-good, light-hearted read of the first book. Sorry, I just didn't engage with this second one as much.

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
by Martin Sixsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars I wished I'd seen the film rather than read the book, 28 Feb. 2015
Like others reviewers I was disappointed that the book was mainly about Philomena's son rather than Philomenia herself. I found the first part of the book very engaging which was about Philomenia and her young son living together in the convent, but I was not interested in the political career of her grown up son which took up a large portion of the book. Although I have not seen the film, I suspect this is a case where I would enjoy the film more than the book.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
by Gavin Extence

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Nov. 2014
I really enjoyed the voice of the teenage Alex as he narrated his quirky and heartwarming story. He was an intelligent, caring and likeable misfit, whose friendship with an old man did him a world of good. It seemed to be a very grown-up young person's novel and I would recommend it for most age groups.

The Things We Never Said
The Things We Never Said

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 13 Nov. 2014
It was good to finally find a book I enjoyed reading - there has been a few books recently that I've started and decided not to continue, and therefore I've not review them. This novel includes quite a few gritty issues which are nicely covered in the two interesting story lines. Just as I thought the two stories were never going to tie together, it happened and I found myself being swept along to the end.

The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending
by Julian Barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good lines and good insights, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Sense of an Ending (Paperback)
I enjoyed the way Tony looked back with amusement at the pretentiousness of himself and his friends during their youth. He tries to make sense of various events in his past and becomes perhaps a little too obsessive over his first girlfriend and his intellectual friend Adrian. He tries to build a meaningful narrative of his life and the lives of others but acknowledges the limitations of his memory and the limitations of what he can piece together from others - his ex girlfriend seemed to be particularly unhelpful with this. He realises that this recent history of himself and his friends seems less solid than the documented history he learnt at school, but he makes progress with it by the end of the book.

The Outcast
The Outcast
by Sadie Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm about poor Lewis, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Outcast (Paperback)
Unfortunately I didn't get into this novel and felt lukewarm about it which makes it hard to write a review about it. I'm not sure whether that's my fault or the book's. Nevertheless, it was hard not to feel sorry for poor Lewis who loses his mother as a young child and then develops unfortunate coping behaviours which are depressing and quite shocking. Even though I usually like gritty stories, I just didn't engage with this enough - perhaps it was the feelings of helplessness.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11