Profile for J. Rennie > Reviews

Content by J. Rennie

J. Rennie (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Project 117 Paint Sprayer-Compact Piston Pump
Project 117 Paint Sprayer-Compact Piston Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC MACHINE, 11 Aug. 2015
Expectations completely exceeded. This thing is absolutely great. NO BRUSH MARKS. Superb finish. Insanely fast. Woodwork is one coat to prime and one coat to finish. Walls are emulsion'd in one pass. I've painted 3 rooms with it now and each one has been a breeze. Time is spent prepping the room and cleaning the machine after. The actual spraying is done in just a few minutes.

One room was acres of black gloss woodwork and dark green walls. I sprayed the black gloss with white primer in about 20-25 mins. The whole room. 3 doors, and the 13 foot tall shuttersn (both sides) plus window with the skirtings as well as a 10 ft long wall cupboard with sliding doors (inside and out) and another 8 ft tall 7 shelf wall unit. Top and bottom of each shelf. and the sides. All from black gloss to pure white in less than 30 mins. Maybe actually 20 mins. I then painted it with super durable water based acrylic eggshell top coat. Superb finish. Did I mention that there's NO BRUSH MARKS!. Once that dried I masked it off and sprayed the ceiling white. And then used my 4ft long paint shield to mask off the ceiling while I sprayed the dark green walls to a lovely light cream colour. In one pass!. It speeds through the work and you speed through the paint, 5 litres goes quickly. and you end up washing a lot of paint down the drain when you clean it. So you definitely use more paint with these - but frankly I don't care because paint is cheap and getting a job done in one pass is better than going over it again and again and ending up with brush marks all over the place. You have to mask off the stuff in the room before you start. But you need to do that to some extent with a brush/roller anyway. Tape and drape film taped so it wont blow around. and fabric dust sheets for the the floor. stapled to floorboards/skirting. Once that's done you can get a room painted in 15 mins. A door is less than 1 minute for example. I know because I did a video to show my wife and the whole thing was 1 minute including the bit at the end where I was laughing about how fast it was!

As I said, you use more paint with this than a roller. But that doesn't bother me at all. And I wouldn't probably use this with oil based paints purely because it would take a huge amount of white spirit to clean it after. (I think, I've not tried it). But you get water based paints that are replacements for a lot of traditional oil based paints. So it's not stopped me doing anything. (and it will do varnish, oil based etc etc if you want)

To clean emulsion etc you need to leave it running with a flow of clean water until the water runs out of it clean. That takes about 45 mins. But if you get it set up with clean water going into it then you dont need to hang around while it does it. The unit seems water resistant so I carefully take it into the shower and spray the shower head directly into the inlet. . I wouldnt run the actual unit under the shower (but the controls seem to be waterproofed so it seems splashproof at least...)

Give it a bit of oil now and again. There's a hole in the front where you give it a splash of the oil that comes with it. The instructions are extremely clear about the process and it's quite straightforward once you know the script.

This is an extremely well built very solid machine, excellent gun and a good length of pipe (7m IIRC). As I mentioned, I also got a 4ft wide aluminium paint shield (from another website) to mask off when doing ceilings white and walls coloured. takes a bit of practice to avoid running out past the shield onto the wall/ceiling. But you get the hang of it. I also got an 18 inch extension nozzle so I could spray the ceilings from floor height.

Oh and I very strongly recommend you get a good respirator mask . There's a 3M one that I got and it's been superb.. This one

No hesitation in giving this top marks.

Have fun :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2015 10:19 PM BST

KitchenCraft Wind-Up Mechanical 2-Hour Kitchen Timer
KitchenCraft Wind-Up Mechanical 2-Hour Kitchen Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought in November, barely used. Broken by April., 27 April 2015
I opened it up to see what went wrong and they had a large steel cog engaged with a flimsy nylon pillar cog. So your hand directly turned the large cog with metal teeth. The teeth chew up the nylon it engages with which meant you couldn't wind it up any more. Idiotic design. The metal parts appeared tarnished as if they were ready to rust. It was probably used less than 20 times before it broke.

Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the low price but not the best sound quality you can buy, 7 April 2015
I like the build quality and for the very low price I thought the sound was fine. especially on low volumes, but I found the sound less pleasant at louder volumes. I replaced these with a pair of far more expensive headphones (audio technica ATH-mx50).

I should say that I still intend to use these Betron headphones for on trains and flights where packing big cans is not an option.

Sunsolar 4 W Ultra Bright LED Light
Sunsolar 4 W Ultra Bright LED Light

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 9 Mar. 2015
I would definitely not buy these again. Not very bright. About half the brightness of the 50w halogens I replaced. dreadful yellow tone to the light as well. The room looks terrible so I need to get replacement ones. I tested them with my professional bench power supply to verify that the cheap transformer I'd used was not the problem. Its definitely the bulbs. I've also noticed that one of the 4 I fitted is significantly more white than the others.

KKmoon 8 Lens Handsfree Headband Head Strap Magnifier Watch Repair Jeweler Loupe with LED Light
Offered by Feeego

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned for refund., 4 Mar. 2015
The box I received didnt contain any of the circular lenses. I had to call amazon and post it back to get a refund. What a waste of time

The thing itself didnt seem very high quality anyway. In fact when I tried it on (before I realised half of it was missing) I realised that the eye pieces were too high to see through - so I had to put the band down at just above my eyebrow.. Not very comfortable and it didnt want to stay in place.

5x Carabiner Karabiner clips 7mm x 70mm Zinc Plated Spring Clip
5x Carabiner Karabiner clips 7mm x 70mm Zinc Plated Spring Clip
Offered by Handystraps® LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, the ones I got were roughly 8mm by 80mm, 22 Jan. 2015
I measured these as slightly under 8mm x 80mm. Not sure if I was sent wrong size but its not problem to me at all. I only noticed because I also ordered some 8mm x 80mm ones from another supplier and they appeared identical when they arrived. So I measured them with my vernier calipers. I have no way of testing the strength of these and they're not marked with any CE marks or anything but they seem strong and I'm going to use them for light lifting (under 200kg with an electric hoist)

So Long At The Fair [DVD] [1950]
So Long At The Fair [DVD] [1950]
Dvd ~ Jean Simmons

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
we really liked this except the ending was just .... well... you'll see :)

Raund circle ceiling grille cover 100 , Wall and Ceiling grilles with fly net(T64)
Offered by Armar Trading LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to fit, 5 Nov. 2014
simple design, unobtrusive, easy to fit. Perfect for my shower ceiling

Wolfcraft 2625000 0.5 - 6.5mm Chuck with Hexagonal Shank for Screwdriver/ Keyless

5.0 out of 5 stars small but nicely engineered, doesnt take large bits - but I ..., 5 Nov. 2014
small but nicely engineered, doesnt take large bits - but I knew that when I bought it. In fact I wanted a small chuck to fit onto my compact 10.8v dewalt impact driver. This is the perfect size. I'll keep this in my kit bag

Wahl Standard Fitting Attachment Comb Number 1.5 4.5mm Plum
Wahl Standard Fitting Attachment Comb Number 1.5 4.5mm Plum
Offered by Barber Supplies UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits fine and stays on, 5 Nov. 2014
I've had no problems with this. Fits fine and stays on. perfect length for trimming my beard. I hate stubble so I prefer it a little long (but not too long).. I use it with a Wahl 300 series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6