Profile for Angela > Reviews

The Doomsday Kids #1: Liam's Promise
The Doomsday Kids #1: Liam's Promise

3.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear Survival, 7 July 2014
*3.5 Stars*

This is a decent book about the survival of a group of children after a nuclear war. Aimed at the YA market so there is not much graphic detail about radiation sickness and although the children encounter plenty of corpses, Folan does not go in to great depth with her descriptions, so sutiable for a wide-age range.

It is not as enthralling as other books set within a similar genre, such as "Brother in the Land" or "Z for Zachariah" in terms of storytelling or world-building, but there is plenty here to keep readers entertained. There is plenty of action and although most of the characters were unbelievably annoying due to their selfishness and immaturity, as a reader you do start to empathise with every single one of them, and begin to witness their transformation into adulthood.

I requested this book from Netgalley but for some reason it would not download. The author sent me it as a gift via Amazon, which thankfully did download properly, so I would like to thank Folan for the gift.

I enjoyed this book, and will read the rest of the series. There were quite a few errors throughout my copy however, such as the omission of words within sentences which proved rather distracting, and a few spelling mistakes. Hopefully a good editor will sort that out for the author.

Primal Shift: Volume 1 (A Post Apocalyptic Thriller) (Primal Shift -Box set)
Primal Shift: Volume 1 (A Post Apocalyptic Thriller) (Primal Shift -Box set)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good First Volume, 7 Mar. 2014
In a similar style to the superb "Yesterday's Gone" series by Sean Platt and David Wright, Hayes has started an episodic post-apocalyptic series.

The set up is very similar to Platt and Wright's series, where we are introduced to differing characters from across the United States and how they initially cope with the events that are occurring around them. I have really come to enjoy and appreciate episodic books now so I'm comfortable with the set up and the progression of the story.

I read this in January 2014 and so I apologise profusely to Mr. Hayes for my lateness in reviewing this volume.
The edition that I read, though well written, did have a spattering of typo's. One that really stood out for me was the spelling of "frickin'"; it was consistently misspelled as "frikin'" throughout but I still thought it looked bizarre. Since I read this volume however, I have been reliably told that it has had a fresh edit by Jason Whited, the same guy who edited the aforementioned "Yesterday's Gone" so I trust that he has done as good a job with Hayes work as he has with that series.

There are similarities with Platt and Wright's episodic series, but also with Stephen King's "The Stand". Hayes has set up the story wonderfully with the epidemic of people reverting back to their most basic, childlike selves. There is a good atmosphere throughout the series, and decent, varying descriptions about how different people are affected and what they do, and then the rather terrifying notion that the more weaker and innocent are the ones to perish and the more bolder and cruel are the ones who are triumphant in their "re-learning".

I don't want to give any spoilers but there are some rather disturbing scenes with attempted rape and violence.

The introduction of 'Rainbowland' reminded me of the separate sanctions within "The Stand", and as the series progresses, I can only presume that, like King's novel, Rainbowland will emerge as being a lot more sinister than the name suggests. It already has the culty-lunatic aspect to it so I look forward to see where Hayes leads this.

Overall, a very enjoyable series. A few editing issues in my copy but hopefully they have all been ironed out now. I look forward to reading the second volume soon.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 10 Feb. 2014
Excellent sturdy boots. Shame they're suede/velvet boots as I have to be a bit more careful when I wear them, but very comfortable and smart. Would buy again.

Size 18 Female BLACK Dressmaking Mannequin Tailors Bust Dressmakers Display Dummy on a stylish BLACK Wooden Tripod Base
Offered by The Shopfitting Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Affordable, 10 Feb. 2014
Being a novice to dressmaking I wanted a decent and sturdy mannequin but nothing too pricey so wasn't looking for an adjustable one.
I bought a size bigger than I am thinking this would be good for tailoring, then realised as soon as the item was despatched I should have gone a size smaller. I contacted the seller who were very informative and quick in response to tell me how I could exchange but after looking at the mannequin when it arrived, I have decided to keep the original order.
It looks rather elegant in my room and is good quality.

Jewellery of Lords 32mm 14g 1.6mm Black Bobble Industrial Scaffold Surgical Stainless Steel Ear Bar Body Piercing
Offered by Jewellery of Lords Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Jewellery, 10 Feb. 2014
I recently got scaffold piercing and I've been trying to find a decent, but not over the top, industrial bar. Sadly I've bought three bars, of different sizes, and they all won't fit so hopefully an even smaller bar of 30mm will do the job. the bar itself is of good quality and I hope the smaller size fits and it looks really good. Excellent and quick service as well, highly recommend.

The Beam: Episode 1
The Beam: Episode 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to a New Series, 14 Jan. 2014
Good introduction to a new sci-fi series co-written by Sean Platt (of Yesterday's Gone: Season One fame - a series I love) and Johnny B. Truant (a name I love).

After reading Yesterday's Gone and other serials by Platt and writing partner David Wright, I've grown very fond of reading books episodically, I find it's a great way to be introduced to a new story and new author(s) so it's a relief that this episode was not disappointing. I feel a bit more world-building and clearer characterisations are needed but as this is not a full book, I can look past that and ho9pe/assume it is something that has addressed in later episodes.

TALES OF GERIATRICS, CRIMINALS AND THE ALMOST DEAD
TALES OF GERIATRICS, CRIMINALS AND THE ALMOST DEAD

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Compilation, 27 Dec. 2013
Decent compilation of short stories from a new author. As with all compilations though, some stories are better than others. Similarly, as with the vast majority of self-published works, there were a few editing issues, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed.
Overall, good compilation and certainly an author I will be keeping an eye on.

I Am Alive
I Am Alive

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awful, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: I Am Alive (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear, I really disliked this book.

For me, the writing was extremely poor; full of cliches, weak metaphors and pathetic characters. I found nothing at all original with the actual 'plot' itself; it was like a watered down and rip-off combination version of The Running Man, Battle Royale (GOLLANCZ S.F.) and of course The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy).

The main character, Decca, was whiney and pathetic. I cannot believe for one second that this stupid girl went to great lengths planning her entry in to the Playa by altering her results, but didn't spend a second actually studying the games beforehand to help her survive. Oh, and don't even get me started on the 'love triangle', *yawn*.

Not only was the story and the characters weak, but the editing and spelling in this book are absolutely atrocious. I expect to encounter a few editing issues with self-published ebooks, but this one was one of the worst I've ever come across and needs a serious overhaul.

I'm sure there are many people who will enjoy this book, but I am certainly not one of them.

Clown
Clown

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Fantasy, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Clown (Kindle Edition)
I initially downloaded this from Amazon after just seeing the title. I thought it would be a horror book and as clowns scare I wanted to read a book about them (masochistic I know but it takes a lot to really freak me out, it's the same reason why I read 'Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon 1)' by China Mieville - moths scare me more than clowns).

I soon realised after a few pages that this is not a horror and that I really need to start reading the synopsis of a book before I download it. Thankfully this is a fantasy, a genre I love so I've not been disappointed at all.

Montgomery has some fascinating ideas running through this book and I adored the character of Clown. His journey (literal, symbolic and metaphorical) sets him on a road of self-discovery, where he encounters trials and dangerous obstacles and meets many interesting characters. Montgomery has woven a rich (and slightly complicated) web of myths and legends interlaced with tales of Clown's upbringing and life in the circus.

There is a lack of focus in what Clown is aiming to achieve in his wandering, and we never really find out what happened to his parents, or about the face paint and why the pattern changes everyday <spoiler>nor do we find out what happened on the moon with the Perigold Araghum, a character I adored - I was really looking forward to reading this and it never arrived! Similarly, what exactly happened with the dragon?!</spoiler>. There were also a number of errors I noticed throughout the book, such as 'where' instead of 'were'; 'and' instead of 'had'; dissolute' instead of 'desolate', amongst others, but these were few and far between really so they stood out more.

Despite the few errors and the (slightly) unfocussed storytelling at times, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have recommended it to a few people I know who enjoy this genre and would appreciate Montgomery's writing.

Nothing Lasts Forever (The book that inspired the movie Die Hard) (Basis for the Film Die Hard 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Film Reigns Supreme, 23 Sept. 2013
I wanted to read this book as one of my favourite Christmas films is based on it. I was really looking forward to reading a fun and action packed novel over the summer.

Unfortunately, for me, this book was disappointing and unbelievably boring at times. In fact, I became so bored reading it that I stopped for about a month as I just was not feeling it. The book has not dated well and I think this was a major cause for my dislike of the writing.

Thankfully though, the book really picked up near the end and I am glad I persevered with it. Although the film "Die Hard" is based on this novel, there are enough differences to not confuse the two, and in my opinion the film is far superior.

*A copy was kindly provided by the publisher through Netgalley*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18