Profile for Alan George > Reviews

Alan George

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Summer Songs, Summer Love, Summer Fun
Summer Songs, Summer Love, Summer Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection of songs with a summer theme., 20 July 2015
This fascinating 3-CD set comprises 81 songs associated with summer : an enticing mixture of well-known songs , obscurities , and unfamiliar versions of songs associated with other singers. My favourites are too numerous to mention. Suffice to say that any fan of late '50s / early '60s pop music may not like everything but should certainly find much that appeals to them in this package.

Dial 3 For Northern Soul
Dial 3 For Northern Soul
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing collection of so-called " soul classics "., 19 Jun. 2015
I bought this CD primarily to obtain " Queen Of Fools " by Barbara Mills , an excellent track , and I also really like the two contributions by Jerry Fuller ; " You've Got The Power " by the always-reliable Gail Wynters ; Ron Holden's " I'll Forgive And Forget " ; and Charlie Romans' " Twenty Four Hour Service ". However , in my opinion , much of the rest of what's here is weak , forgettable material , notable only for its fast tempo. The Newbeats are best known for their classic no.1 U.S. hit from 1964 , " Bread And Butter " , but their song on this CD , " I Am A Teardrop " , is truly dire. Anyway , I am pleased that I purchased this CD for the few tracks which I enjoy.

Tell Laura I Love Her - Great British Record Labels: Columbia
Tell Laura I Love Her - Great British Record Labels: Columbia

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting compilation of material from the great Columbia label , including many hard-to-find tracks., 18 Jun. 2015
This 2-CD set is a real bargain , and on it I found songs which I hadn't heard for many years, My favourite tracks are the two by Bill Forbes ; Jimmy Crawford's " Love or Money " ; Jill & the Boulevards' " Eugene " ; Earl Guest's " Twistin' John " ; and Cherry Wainer's " Money ". My only quibble is : why were very well-known big hits , such as " The Young Ones " , " Walkin' Back To Happiness " and " Stranger On The Shore " included ? I would think that this set would appeal mostly to music fans seeking rarities , and most prospective purchasers would either already have , or not want , familiar tracks like " Stranger On The Shore ".

Since I Fell For You - A Golden Classics Edition
Since I Fell For You - A Golden Classics Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but brief compilation of Lenny Welch's recordings for the Cadence label., 2 Mar. 2015
The highlight of this CD for most fans is probably Lenny's sublime rendition of the old blues standard " Since I Fell For You " , which was his biggest U.S. hit , peaking at no.4 in late 1963. However , my favourite track is " Mama , Don't You Hit That Boy " , a great up-tempo number on which Welch delivers a surprisingly hard-edged vocal ; primarily known as a ballad singer , he was only rarely given the opportunity to rock. Not everything is good on this CD ; for example , his take on " You Don't Know Me " sounds dull and insipid compared to the classic Ray Charles version of this country song. Finally , it is pity that this compilation is restricted to his Cadence recordings , because after leaving Cadence he made some excellent recordings ( including " Rags To Riches " , " Two Different Worlds " , and " Darling Take Me Back " ) for the Kapp label.

12 Hits of the 60's 2: Five St
12 Hits of the 60's 2: Five St

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ( 'though rather brief ) compilation of tracks from the mid to late '60s, 30 July 2014
This 10-track CD comprises a mixture of well-known U.S. hits and a few hard-to-find tracks. Included in the latter category are the great " Not Too Long Ago " by the under-rated Uniques , and also less interesting contributions by Mercy and the Clique. Apart from the Uniques , my favourite track is the splendid " All Strung Out " by brother-and-sister duo Nino Tempo & April Stevens. This CD would be a good purchase for anyone looking for a brief but well-chosen selection of hits from the latter part of the '60s.

One-Hit Wonders [3 CD Set]
One-Hit Wonders [3 CD Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent re-recordings of old hits., 8 Jun. 2014
I have read with interest the other reviews , and I agree that most of these tracks sound different from the original versions. However , in my opinion , the majority are superior to the originals , because they benefit from advances in technology. I would readily admit that some of the vocals are weaker , through age of the vocalist or perhaps a different lead singer in a group , but to me the overall sound is more important , and I am very content with this 3 - CD set and would recommend it to any prospective purchaser provided he / she does not expect the songs to sound exactly like they did 50 odd years ago !

Lipstick, Powder & Paint: A Decade Of Girls 1953-1962
Lipstick, Powder & Paint: A Decade Of Girls 1953-1962

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb compilation of tracks by female performers , including many hard-to-find items., 12 May 2014
Some of the tracks on this great CD are by fairly well-known artists , such as Anita Bryant ,Cathy Carr , Maureen Evans , Wanda Jackson , Ruby Murray , and Linda Scott. However , the vast majority are obscurities : much sought-after contributions by Barbara Evans , Janie Grant , Lana Jean , Kathy Linden , Kari Lynn , Janet Richmond , Mimi Roman , Yolanda , The Georgettes , The De Laine Sisters , and The Perry Sisters , among many others. Highly recommended if you like female vocalists from this era.

Barbara Chandler Meets Babs Tino 25 Cuts
Barbara Chandler Meets Babs Tino 25 Cuts

5.0 out of 5 stars Good opportunity to obtain tracks by these two female singers who are rarely found in CD format., 26 April 2014
I bought this CD primarily to get the Barbara Chandler tracks , in particular " It Hurts To Be Sixteen " and " Fool's Errand " , and I like most of her other songs on this CD. I have never been a great fan of Babs Tino , regarding her voice as rather shrill , but I really like her versions of the Burt Bacharach compositions " Forgive Me " , " Keep Away From Other Girls " , and , in particular , her dramatically impressive take on " Too Late To Worry ". Finally , a note of caution to prospective buyers. I am aware that the sound quality on this CD has been heavily criticised by a reviewer on Amazon.com , and I agree that it's not great , but I am not an audiophile and it's okay for me. However , if you are looking for excellent sound , you will be disappointed in this CD.

First Four Albums & More!
First Four Albums & More!

2.0 out of 5 stars So - so collection of easy listening material., 22 April 2014
The Lettermen harmonise well , usually on quite strong material , 'though I have to confess that I find their bland sound sleep - inducing at times ! The main problem with this 2-CD set is that it omits most of their later hits , and some of the tracks here are " filler " , including songs which don't even suit the group's style. Fans should look elsewhere , for example , " The Lettermen : Capitol Collectors Series " , or " Complete Hits "
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 11:01 PM BST

The Sandpiper 1965 (region 2) Richard Burton Elizabeth Taylor (widescreen)
The Sandpiper 1965 (region 2) Richard Burton Elizabeth Taylor (widescreen)
Dvd ~ Richard Burton

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining romp , set to a back-drop of beautiful Californian scenery., 18 April 2014
I am aware that this film was panned by the critics , and I agree that the dialogue is rather stilted and silly at times. However , in my opinion , Elizabeth Taylor's performance is compelling , and the plot is quite entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. Add to this the beautiful scenery and the award - winning theme song , " The Shadow Of Your Smile " , and you have an obscure film well worth seeking out , especially if you are a fan of Taylor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4