Profile for andymx > Reviews

Heaven
Heaven
Offered by Revolution Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Class act, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Oh how happy we should be that Rebecca Ferguson did not win X Factor last year! Sure, it gave her enough attention to be offered a record contract, so I won't knock it. But the pleasing result of her true victory was released this week: Heaven.

I love all the tracks on the album, aside from the finale, Too Good to Lose, being not particularly bad, just a bit annoying, in my opinion. Given that 9/10 tracks are ace gives me reason enough to rate this 5 stars! Love it, love her.

Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii)
Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest game so far on Wii (perhaps until Smash Brawl comes along), 22 May 2008
Since buying the Wii more than 1 year ago, Mario Kart is simply the most fun we have had playing so far! It's zany, crazy, racing action, and excellent to be able to race against opponents online...it gets very competitive and addictive so beware!

Indeed to unlock the cars, characters and courses you do need to spend some time completing the grand prix sections under single player, as well as racing online (certain unlockables are only available after beating a certain number of online opponents) and completing time trials. But hey, where's the fun in using cheat codes!!

I have been reading some comments on Amazon and must laugh - PLEASE DON'T SAY A GAME IS TERRIBLE SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU CANNOT WIN!!!! I have personally unlocked 95% of characters and cars, all courses on 50cc and 100cc, as well as beginning to unlock all courses on 150cc. Games aren't designed to be easy. It's about tactics, perhaps not trying to be in 1st place all through the race because then indeed - you WILL be had by a flying blue tortoise shell helmet!

Closing comment - if you do not own this game and are not afraid of doing your best to win and unlock, please buy Mario Kart and take up the challenge! Don't be put off by those lesser gamers who can't take a good beating just before the finish line.

The Sweet Escape
The Sweet Escape
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, but grows a charm!, 10 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Sweet Escape (Audio CD)
Being overly excited when Gwen's new album landed in my hands, I was slightly thrown off and surprised that I did not take to it immediately. As I am truly a fan of L.A.M.B., liking every song on the album, I expected the same of The Sweet Escape. Skipping through her latest offering, I only heard a few songs which I thought to be really good...but that was 1 month ago...now that I have taken the time to listen to and appreciate The Sweet Escape...IT'S A GREAT ALBUM - GO GWEN!!!!...(with 1 or 2 exceptions though)

1.Wind It Up: 6/10 Hardly the best track on the album...if you want to enjoy this track, be sure to check out the Harajuku Lovers Live DVD where she performs the track live, with less yodel!

2.The Sweet Escape: 9/10 An amazingly catchy tune...great fun, great sound.

3.Orange County Girl: 8/10 Another track already performed on Harajuku Lovers Live, a meaningful walk down her memory lane with great lyrics and cool smooth sound.

4.Early Winter: 10/10 Some say it's out of place, I say it just adds to the great variety on the album. An excellent track, beautiful melody.

5.Now That You Got It: 9/10 Another fav from the album. Kickin beat...say no more.

6.4 in the Morning: 10/10 Aaargh...too many favs to comment. Yet another smooth track from Gwen.

7.Yummy: ?/10 This one's still growing on me, but it definately has that something about it...very original.

8.Fluorescent: 7/10 A wicked track with good chart potential. Bring it on as a single!

9.Breakin Up: 6/10 A bit of a harsh track compared to the rest, good production values.

10.Don't Get it Twisted: 6/10 A bit of a weird one compared to the rest. Not a fav at all...

11.U Started It: 8/10 Definately one of the better tracks. Nice beat, cut in by an even better melodic chorus.

12. Wonderful Life: 10/10 This track rocks...the few which don't cut it in my book should have had Wondeful Life's beautiful haunting, electro beat.

I'm totally offended by all the negative reviews on this album which don't look further than the first single from the album (Wind It Up). I am surprised at the choice of first single, but bring on the second single from the album (The Sweet Escape) and the reliable public will bring this great mix bag of tunes to it's much deserved pedastool.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2009 2:52 PM GMT

Red Steel (Wii)
Red Steel (Wii)
Offered by marxwax

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gameplay!! Don't let the official reviews put you off..., 24 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Red Steel (Wii) (Video Game)
Ok, so I was very dissappointed at first - what looked like one of the Wii's finest launch games was being battered to death-by-review by various online game sites. So many negative reviews put me off buying this game to begin with, until today when we decided to get a 5th game for our new Wii console. Thank you to those on Amazon who have praised this game as without you, we would not have bought Red Steel today!

From a high level point of view I can certainly say that Red Steel is good value for money for pure fun, entertainment, and suspense. I'm not a pro gamer who is going to knock the game for it's minor glitches: the controls can be a little off at times, but this is rare and then I just deal with it. The graphics are fine and detailed - we are not looking for HD here, we are looking at a clean picture coming from a tiny console which is opening a new dimension in gameplay, not lifelike images (although they are certainly life like enough).

Go for Red Steel if you want some pure action and suspense - with the new style of gameplay, you will be hooked for hours!!

Lumines (PSP)
Lumines (PSP)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantabulous!!!, 14 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Lumines (PSP) (Video Game)
Lumines is the second game I bought for my amazing little PSP. From the start, it's hard not to get yourself hooked.
Unlike Tetris (to which it is likened), Lumines pulls you into a world of grooving beats and twisted sounds, with dazzling displays dancing around your game space. The only thing this game has in common with Tetris - fact - is that it involves falling blocks, but that's where the similarity ends.
Forcing you to move through the Challenge and vs CPU games to unlock the wicked sounds and living skins, simply knowing whats ahead is what drives you to go on. Matching blocks of the same colour will enable them to be swept away in a sparkling flurry, freeing up space for more blocks. This is certainly THE game of the PSP...and this grand title is the one which will stay in the charts so long as the PSP itself does. This game simply melts you to your PSP and you go right in there and feel the game rock!
BUY THIS GAME - YOU WILL NEVER BE DISSAPOINTED, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ASTONISHED!

Blood - The Last Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Blood - The Last Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yûki Kudô
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to watch, but too short...!, 14 Jun. 2004
Up until the day I watched Kill Bill, I had never taken much notice of Manga. Then of course I was amazed at the brilliance of the 10 minute Manga chapter in Kill Bill - I wanted more...
I wanted to see something of the same quality, and of course discovered the name of the creators, Production IG (in order to find 'Blood').
'Blood' seemed to be all I had wanted - a Manga movie made by the producers of the Kill Bill Manga chapter - and according to the information available, it was 80 minutes long. This is wrong, with the actual "feature" being only less than 45 minutes.
Now, the animation (albeit mostly digital) is superb, the sound/soundtrack perfect, and overall would have been a great movie - only it was too short! Without giving it away - it's over just as soon as it could be getting really started.
I did like the "film" and wouldn't diss the technical side or the storyline - just be carefull...don't expect a true full lenght feature film.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [DVD] [2003]
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Uma Thurman
Offered by STEPHENSON HOLDINGS

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Candy to the MAX!!!, 28 May 2004
What can I say about this masterpiece of pure, cinematic entertainment...
I recall the first time I sat down to watch Kill Bill at home...I had not really even taken note of it when it was released in the cinema...a friend had hired it from the videostore and recomended I watch it...so I did, and have seen it many times since.
I have to say that I have "fallen in love" with this movie. It is just such great eye candy, with a soundtrack any other move would be envious of. The way it is filmed, the acting, the sound, the animation, the way it flows...superb.
Some may say it is too violent, but there is violence, and then there is "violence" - and this movie is filled with "violence" of pure entertaining delight (everyday I am saddened with the extreme images thrown in our faces by the global news teams, which, I must say, are far more disturbing than heads and limbs flying around in a cinematic way).
Anyway...if you are looking for a great, watchable movie, with brilliant action scenes, great actors, and something a little "different", then buy this movie...you SHOULD NOT BE dissappointed.