Profile for Patricia Hill > Reviews

Content by Patricia Hill

Patricia Hill "triciahill" (Hanwell, London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Number 11
Number 11

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent state-of-the-nation novel that's funny too, 1 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Number 11 (Kindle Edition)
A scathing indictment of what our society has become. Deceptively easy to read while packing a punch few others muster. Timely too, in its satirisation of the basement-building mania, given the recent collapse of a house in Richmond. And you'll never watch I'm A Celebrity:Get Me out of Here in the same way again (definitely a good thing). Coe at his best, and if you've read What a Carve Up or The Rotters Club, you'll know how high a recommendation that is. I'm already looking forward to reading it again.

Itchcraft
Itchcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent sciencetastic outing for Itch and co, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Itchcraft (Kindle Edition)
More adventures of Itch and his mates - I thought this was a great read. My 13-year-old son loves them too. One small niggle - the name of the baddies' lair is variously spelt "El Heiro" and "El Hiero" - which is it?

Kipling Sarande N Women's Shoulder Bag - Black
Kipling Sarande N Women's Shoulder Bag - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great, handy bag, 10 Sept. 2014
Really love this bag - I have several Kipling bags but find myself using this one most often for work. I had some extra files to carry the other day and the Sarande fit them all in with ease, as well as all my day to day stuff - phone, tablet, makeup bag etc. Some Kipling designs can be a bit "busy" for me - too many zips/pockets etc, but this one keeps it nice and simple, but with some style to it. I have it in Black and Purple - would love one in Tropic Flower B.

One small criticism is that the mobile phone pocket is too shallow - my phone falls out of it. Given that phones are getting bigger and bigger, I would have thought that Kipling could increase the depth a bit

Nivea Daily Essentials Sensitive 3 in 1 Micellar Cleansing Water
Nivea Daily Essentials Sensitive 3 in 1 Micellar Cleansing Water
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and no added fragrance, 9 July 2014
I have tried numerous micellar waters - all three types of Bioderma, La Roche Posay, Nuxe, Avene, Ren, B by Superdrug etc - and this is one of my favourites. I love that it is unfragranced, as I often have reactions to skincare products, and it removes every scrap of makeup quickly and simply. And because it is so cheap, I am happy to use it in generous quantities.

The Murder Bag (DC Max Wolfe)
The Murder Bag (DC Max Wolfe)

1.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 29 May 2014
I finished it, but only just. And the much-touted twist at the end? What was the point? Is Max going to do anything about it?

The body count is high, but several of the deaths are fairly pointless (especially the guy who commits suicide. Twice.) The major motivating factor behind the murders is, by this point, a total cliche.

The bait and switch with the wife irritated me and, again, what was the point? Was it an attempt to make Max more interesting? Max attends several funerals, which are an excellent excuse for larding the book with vast chunks of prose from rather better writers. And the Peggy Sue wish fulfilment with the character Max ends up with? Ugh.

In the end, I didn't care about any of the characters and the plot wasn't interesting enough to make up for that.

But the most irritating factor was Max's car - he has a BMW X5, you know. Well, if you didn't after the first time it's mentioned, you soon will. "I lowered the window of the X5", "My X5 was parked further down the street", "I picked up the keys for my X5", and so on and on and on. By the end, I was convinced that BMW were sponsoring the book. Was it really not possible just to say, "I got into my car"? Just once? Please?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 5:16 PM BST

The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths: Fiona Griffiths Crime Thriller Series Book 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gripping, 8 April 2014
I have read all three Fiona Griffiths books in the last week, and I enjoyed the first two. Fiona's Cotard's syndrome is an original and fresh take on the damaged detective trope and I liked the Welsh setting and her growing relationship with. Buzz.

But I have neglected everything I should have been doing for the past three hours to finish the third book - it was so gripping and tense. In a strange way (because Fiona is the polar opposite of Reacher) it reminded me of the best Jack Reacher books. I recommend reading the books in order because the first two lead so well to the third. Can't wait for the fourth - write like the wind, Harry!

Braided Lives
Braided Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally on Kindle!, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Braided Lives (Kindle Edition)
So, so, so happy this brilliant book is now available on Kindle. See my review of the paperback version in which I attempt to do it justice. I read upwards of 200 books a year, so since I first read this book as a university student in 1985 I've read at least 5,600 novels. This is still my favourite. The best literature doesn't change your life: it changes with you, so that you get different things out of it as you get older. This has as much to say to my 40-something self as it ever did to my 20-year-old self. I still ask myself, What Would Jill Do? Set in 1950s America, but still fiercely relevant today, if you call yourself a feminist, you should read this book.

The Diaries of a Fleet Street Fox
The Diaries of a Fleet Street Fox

1.0 out of 5 stars What an informative book, 8 Sept. 2013
Gosh, it was so informative. Let me see, what did I learn?

a) being fat is a sin and makes you a totally worthless person
b) phone hacking is totes acceptable except possibly if done to families of murder victims, and even then is probably okay if you get a good story out of it
c) Madeline McCann jokes are funny. No, really they are, especially if you can drag the Fritzls in too.
d) you can get a book contract for a pile of the most self-pitying tosh known to man or woman, yippee!
e) you don't even have to spell the pseudonyms you give your colleagues consistently

In case you can't tell from the above, I loathed this book. I regret paying 99p for it, it was 98p more than it's worth. I wish I had back the couple of hours I spent reading it so I could do something more worthwhile with them, such as filing my nails or staring out of the window.

Other Women
Other Women

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy this is now on Kindle, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Other Women (Kindle Edition)
My favourite novels are those in which the main character comes across so clearly that I believe in them wholeheartedly, and Caroline in Other Women does exactly that. I've reread this book several times in the twenty or so years since I first read it and love it just as much every time. Essentially the story of the therapeutic relationship between Caroline and Hannah, the question is whether Caroline can learn to stop feeling responsible for everyone else's happiness and find some of her own.

Kinflicks is the Lisa Alther book everyone knows, but Other Women offers more subtle and deeper pleasures. (By the way, ignore the horrific cover, which was clearly chosen by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the book)

Blind Descent
Blind Descent

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray, Anna Pigeon comes to Kindle!, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Blind Descent (Kindle Edition)
I started reading Blind Descent on holiday in France - it must have been left behind by a US tourist as I've never seen the series in the UK. I was bowled over by Anna herself, who is a great character, and by the tension created by skilful use of one of the best settings for a book ever. I'm afraid I took the book home with me (leaving one of mine in its place, of course) and then set about tracking down the rest of the series on amazon.com. Some of the books are better than the others, but they're all entertaining reads. I'm thrilled they are all now on Kindle and I shall start on a reread in order, what a treat!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3