Profile for Lewis > Reviews

Lp1
Lp1
Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars FKA Twigs - LP1, 29 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Lp1 (Audio CD)
This album is fascinating to listen to. It is very unique and left field. I did not enjoy it at first, as in some tracks I thought there were too many different sounds in the mix and to my mind it was not cohesive. Twigs has very limited range and I thought the preface was not a good opener with some very strange vocals. "Two Weeks" was the only track I heard before ordering the album and I really liked this track and it is probably the most mainstream sounding track on the album. However after I played the album several times I got more accustomed to the unique style. My view has now changed completely and I think this is a very brave and honest piece of work. I love the vocals and the depth and complexity of the instrumentals. It is hard to categorize this album as a particular genre but I would recommend it to anyone who likes Grimes, Massive Attack or Portishead. In my opinion there is not a bad track on the album and the stand out tracks are "Two Weeks" "Pendulum" "Video Girl" and "Give Up". I should add that I was very disappointed with the packaging; instead of a jewel case the album came in a cheap card sleeve.

Bahco 2101GC-160IP - Side Cutter 2101Gc-160
Bahco 2101GC-160IP - Side Cutter 2101Gc-160

3.0 out of 5 stars Bahco 2101GC Chrome Plated Side Cutter, 29 Nov. 2015
This Bahco chrome plated side cutter is a good design, with sharp jaws and a spring that can be engaged or disengaged as desired but the quality is not as high as I was expecting. This tool is not made in Sweden and the chrome plating is starting to come off the jaws already after about 1 month of use. I also have a cheaper pair of Knipex high leverage 160mm cutters with PVC grips (74-01-160) which I use most of the time. This Bahco cutter is extremely sharp and better for cutting and stripping fine wires and it can cut cable ties pretty much flush where the Knipex cutters leave a slight edge. I have given a 3/5 review as the tool is very expensive and the quality is not what it should be. Most of the time I prefer to use my Knipex cutters which are half the price, feel more comfortable in my hand and as the blades are not razor sharp I expect they will stand up to more abuse than the Bahco design. For someone working with fine wires the standard Bahco 2101G is an excellent choice as the jaws are so much sharper than other cutters I have seen but the chrome plated version is too expensive for what it is.

Intel Core i3-3220 3300GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Desktop CPU Box
Intel Core i3-3220 3300GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Desktop CPU Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Intel i3 3220, 14 April 2013
I was looking for a processor with integrated graphics for a media centre build. I was considering this i3 vs the AMD A10 5800K but I decided on the i3 because of lower power consumption and A85X motherboards were around £20 more expensive at the time of purchase. This processor is a lot faster than I was expecting and the stock cooler is very quiet. Windows 7 experience index is 7.2 for processor, 4.9 for desktop graphics and 6.4 for gaming graphics. The integrated graphics are ample for HD video playback. Around 400MB of system RAM is reserved for the integrated graphics. I have installed this processor on an ASUS P8B75-M LX Plus motherboard with OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD; 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz CL9 RAM and 350W Antec 80+ PSU. The system feels very responsive and Windows 7 boots in 18 seconds. I am very pleased with this processor and the stock cooler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2013 2:26 AM BST

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Air CPU Cooler "RR-212E-16PK-R1, 4 x Heatpipe, 1x 120mm PWM Fan, Intel/AMD"

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for AMD, 14 April 2013
This is a great cooler that can be mounted in 4 directions on AMD sockets. I found the installation straight forward, but I was installing this on the motherboard outside the case for a new build. This would be a bit more tricky to retrofit. This is the first cooler I have used where the thermal paste was not pre applied but applying the paste is simple enough and there is more than enough in the syringe. After gaming for four hours straight my overclocked 6300 reached a peak temperature of 41 degrees so it definitely does the job. The fan is quiet enough but never completely silent. This cooler can be fitted with 2 fans and mounts for the 2nd fan are included. It is a shame that the fan from this cooler isn't sold separately so you could have 2 matching fans.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 8:45 AM BST

Ballistix Sport 4 GB Kit (2 GB x 2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM 240-Pin Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price, 14 April 2013
For £22 this RAM is a no brainer for any budget build. Crucial has a good reputation for reliability. The RAM is standard height with no pointless heat sink. It is very fast: Bus rate: 1600 MHz; Latency times: 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V, which is important for Intel CPUs. A lot of other 2 x 2GB 1600MHz kits at this price are CL10 or 1.65V so this is a bargain.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 6:12 PM BST

Antec One Midi Tower Case - Black
Antec One Midi Tower Case - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect, 6 April 2013
Overall I am pleased with this case. I like the appearance and it has good cooling and solid construction. It has 2 USB 3 connections on the front panel and a USB 2 adapter is included. I have fitted a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and it fits without any modifications. The reasons for the 4 star rating are that installation was not as easy as it could be. On my particular case the side panels were a poor fit and extremely hard to remove and some of the motherboard stand off screws supplied were defective and had no female thread but luckily I had spares from a previous build. However, even if I had a perfect example I would not have given 5 stars because there is not enough space to route power cables behind the motherboard and I was disappointed to see that the expansion slot covers could not be replaced once removed. I also find the case fans a little noisy. If I were to buy again I would probably look at the Antec 302 or maybe spend the extra on a Fractal Design R4 which is receiving great reviews.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 10:04 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard, 6 April 2013
This is a brilliant motherboard in the £50 price range. I would definitely recommend this over a H61. It has all the important specs covered: SATA 3, USB 3, good connectivity and solid capacitors. This looks and feels like a quality product and ASUS motherboards have a good reputation for reliability. I love the mouse controlled BIOS and this motherboard does not have the awkward edge mounted SATA connectors of other ASUS boards. I have installed an ivy bridge i3 3220 CPU, and an SSD on this motherboard and Win7 boots in 18 secs. I am using 1600MHz RAM and the BIOS recognised the correct speed and latencies so I did not have to make any adjustments. This motherboard is tiny even for micro ATX, which makes for easy installation but this is also the reason for the only downside that I can think of: there are only 2 DIMM slots. Overall this is a brilliant product and I can't believe the price. Ask yourself if you really need all the features of a Z77 before spending the extra.

ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED 23 inch 1080p Widescreen Full HD LED Display
ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED 23 inch 1080p Widescreen Full HD LED Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Great low cost monitor, 24 Mar. 2013
I am very happy with this monitor. It looks very smart and the build quality is excellent. The monitor is very stable and does not wobble like many other monitors at this price. Viewsonic have been very generous and included a 3.5mm audio cable, a VGA and a HDMI cable in the box. I am very impressed with the image quality. Colours look natural and there is very little motion blur. There are a few negative points: black levels are not quite as dark as they could be; the speakers are weak; the navigation of on screen menus is difficult using the awkward touch panel. In my opinion this is still a 5 star product despite the minor negatives I have mentioned. The price is superb - and Viewsonic are currently running a £30 off promotion when you buy this monitor with certain Win8 products - details can be found on their website.