Profile for SilentSinger > Reviews

Content by SilentSinger

SilentSinger "Audible rocks my world." (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belkin PocketPower 5000 mAh Ultra Portable Power Bank, High Speed Charging External Battery Pack for iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel, Huawei P9 and More - Black
Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Belkin PocketPower 5000 mAh Ultra Portable PowerPack, 19 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous smartphone was a Samsung S6 with a very depleted battery, hence why I needed constant top ups whilst out and about, so I bought this from Amazon: Anker Power Bank Astro E1 5200mAh Ultra Compact Portable Charger External Battery with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Huawei and More (Black) It was ideal and I was so impressed that I bought two additional power banks and even recommended it to my Father.

This Belkin PocketPower 5000 works in a very similar way, but instead of being chunky, is shaped like a smartphone, so it could be placed in a pocket (although don't do this and forget about it until it drops down the toilet like my original S6 did (sob!) Unlike the Anker, it wasn't supplied with a carrying bag. I charged it up from one (depleted) to four (full) power dots in three to four hours. I then used it to charge my husband's Samsung S7 from 24% up to 100% and it worked well, only getting slightly hot.

My main beef is the price - at the time of typing, it's more than twice the price of a commensurate Anker product. I can only imagine this is because Belkin is a much more revered name in the world of IT and technology. Ho, hum - I don't think that it's worth it though.

Cured: The Tale of Two Imaginary Boys
Cured: The Tale of Two Imaginary Boys
by Lol Tolhurst

3.0 out of 5 stars Cured, 18 July 2017
Although this had some interesting parts, the fact that The Cure's drummer, Laurence 'Lol' Tolhurst's memoir/biography is rather repetitive. Also, he seems to be obsessed about how awful suburbia is (and Crawley isn't normally considered to be in South London.) He appears to hero worship Robert Smith too, which is a bit odd considering that he edged him out of the band and later sacked him.

There are better rockographies on the market.

To Siri, With Love: A mother, her autistic son, and the kindness of a machine
To Siri, With Love: A mother, her autistic son, and the kindness of a machine
by Judith Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars To Siri, With Love, 18 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an autistic woman myself and mother to an autistic son, I tend to read as much about the condition as I possibly can. This book, written by a New York-based author is fantastic and packed full of wit and intelligent insight about the good and bad points of raising an ASD child and later, teenager. The chapter about the pitfalls of employing a person to take him out and about was especially insightful. So many of the thoughts and fears chimed with my own, so I have recommended it to my husband to read whilst we are away on holiday.

A great read.

Oral-B Genius 9000 Rose Gold Electric Toothbrush Powered By Braun
Oral-B Genius 9000 Rose Gold Electric Toothbrush Powered By Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars Braun/Oral B Toothbrush, 17 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having owned a number of Braun/Oral B sonic toothbrushes in the past, here are some pros and cons of this particular model:

Pros:

*It's a lovely rose gold colour
*The different settings and timer are useful
*The handle is ergonomically shaped
*four brush heads are included
*The travel charging case is great because there is no chance of the toothbrush falling off mid cycle NB: I am not so enamoured by the combined mobile charger though

Cons:
*The RRP is far too expensive
*The mobile phone wall holder is unnecessary and I'd always worry that the whole thing would crash to the floor
*I don't really wish to charge my mobile near a wet toothbrush case(!)

In conclusion: A good brush, but a few too many plasticky fiddly bits.

Complete Road Atlas Britain & Ireland 2018: (De luxe hardback edition) (Philips Road Atlas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Complete Road Atlas of Britain, 16 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved the look of this nostalgic hardbacked road atlas - it reminded me of my childhood, without the disadvantages of sticking to the faux leather back seat of our Austin 1300(!) The clear full colour maps would be of use to many motorists and even the more rural outposts of Great Britain are covered in great detail - such as the Orkney and Shetland Islands. The approaches to major cities, such as Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh are also a huge boon to the regular traveller. I also liked the town street maps too and having a cut out detail concerning the confusing layout of London's Docklands was especially welcome.

Although I admire the way that Philips are trying to engage the reader with quirky articles about 'Mobile Layby Cafes' - but surely this will go out of date very quickly - the internet is the best place for this kind of thing.

Belkin F8N900 Classic Pro Slim Backpack for 15.6 inch Laptop - Grey
Belkin F8N900 Classic Pro Slim Backpack for 15.6 inch Laptop - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Slim Laptop Rucksack, 14 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I opened this laptop bag I was concerned about 1) The lack of internal padding for my very thin laptop and 2) whether it would withstand a downpour (I do live in the UK!) Time will tell I guess, but the weave is a little more open then I'm used to. That said, I do like the front pockets as they would be useful places to store mobile phones, Oyster Cards etc. The zip pulls felt very sturdy too.

Overall: a nice laptop/tablet bag with a couple of niggles

Garnier Ultimate Blends Coconut Water Dry Hair Conditioner, 200 ml
Garnier Ultimate Blends Coconut Water Dry Hair Conditioner, 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Garnier Ultimate Blends Conditioner, 12 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is sold at an incredibly reasonable price and I only needed to use a tiny amount of it to coat my hair. The coconut scent was lovely, summery and fresh and the fact that this conditioner is SLS/silicone free is another bonus.

Recommended.

Garnier Ultimate Blends Coconut Water Dry Hair Shampoo, 250 ml
Garnier Ultimate Blends Coconut Water Dry Hair Shampoo, 250 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Garnier Ultimate Blends Shampoo, 12 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing that I noticed was the lovely coconut scent of this shampoo. It lathered well and cleansed my hair effectively. The absence of any SLS/silicone was great too.

I love it.

The Secrets She Keeps: The life she wanted wasn't hers . . .
The Secrets She Keeps: The life she wanted wasn't hers . . .
by Michael Robotham

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secrets She Keeps, 9 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having enjoyed all of Michael Robotham's Professor Joe O'Loughlin novels, I was pleased to be able to read his new book in paperback form (having already put it on my Audible pre-order wish list). It's the dual stories of pregnant Meghan (a wealthy married Barnes resident with two children) and a woman she first encounters in the local supermarket, Agatha. The latter woman envies the former's lifestyle and will do anything to gain what she believes to be hers.

At first this book reminded me of women's fiction/chick lit as it flitted between the two lead character's first person accounts. Further on it developed rather nicely, although some parts were slightly unbelievable - I mean, how could Agatha afford to live in London on a supermarket cashier's wage? The fact that I always looked forward to returning it and spent a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon completing it is testament to how good I found it. I also liked the psychologist character and hope that Robotham teams him up with Professor O'Loughlin at some point in the future.

Leifheit Hand Brush Dusty for Walls, Ceilings and Cobwebs
Leifheit Hand Brush Dusty for Walls, Ceilings and Cobwebs
Offered by CutPriceDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Sans Handle, 8 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great idea and the soft bristled angled bristles are ideal for removing cobwebs/dust/cat hair from places within arm's reach in and around the house. It's priced keenly and feels very robust ...

BUT!

This product was supplied without the corresponding telescopic handle, so I am therefore unable to test it on my stairwell or anywhere that isn't accessible via a stepladder. I am therefore unable and unwilling to comment further.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2017 7:51 AM BST