Profile for Mr. Paul M. Wilks > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul M. Wilks

Mr. Paul M. Wilks (Runcorn Cheshire UK)

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Zondervan Illustrated Bible Dictionary
by Douglas and Tenney

5.0 out of 5 stars Zondervan Illustrated Bible Dictionary, 16 Jan. 2012
I am studying to be a Methodist Church Local Preacher and have found this volume to be essential. It is well set out and easy to follow giving very full and in some cases illustrated descriptions of words found in the Bible. I can recommend this book to anyone studying the Bible whether as a 'serious' student or simply an interested reader.

Prime Minister Box Set: Wilson (20th Century PM)
Prime Minister Box Set: Wilson (20th Century PM)
by P Routledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Prime Ministers of the 20th Century Harold Wilson by Paul Routledge, 11 April 2010
This is an excellent little book about Harold Wilson. It brings out the guile and the cunning of Harold but at the same time gives a very sympathetic view of him. It could be forgotten that he had to keep together the various factions of the Labour Party who at times seemed more intent on self destruction than destroying the Tory Party. He also kept the UK out of the war in Vietnam despite pressure from the USA and the fact that the Americans were playing a big part in helping support us financially through the IMF. Even after this book Harold Wilson is still a hero of mine!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Plain Man looks at the Cross by Leslie D Weatherhead, 5 May 2009
An excellent little book and, although it was written many years ago (1945), it is still relevant, very readable and excellent for those who struggle with the concept of Christ's Cross. I recommend it to anyone who like me want to know more. It should be compulsory reading for all preachers to enable them to discuss the Cross with their puzzled congregations!

Vintage Soper: God, Faith and Society
Vintage Soper: God, Faith and Society
by Donald Soper

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Soper edited by Brian Frost, 31 Mar. 2009
For those who appreciate the wisdom, knowledge and witticisms of the late famous Methodist preacher Donald Soper this little book is a gem! Of course as would be expected the book explains and expounds Donald Soper's thoughts on Christianity and the Church but he also comments on peace, pacifism and politicians. He also discusses his own doubts as well as his certainties.
If you wish you could use this book as a `Thought for the Day'.

Doctor of Souls: Leslie Dixon Weatherhead 1893-1976: Leslie D.Weatherhead, 1893-1976
by John C. Travell

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor of Souls Leslie D Weatherhead by John Travell, 31 Mar. 2009
I first came across Leslie Weatherhead in the mid 1960s through his book `The Christian Agnostic'. It made such an impact on me that I still refer to it even today. On exploring Amazon I discovered a number of books either by him or about him. I hoped this book would give me a greater insight into the life and times and theology of Leslie Weatherhead. I was not disappointed!
This is a well written and fascinating insight into the life, beliefs and work of one of our most important former Christian leaders, whose impact can still be felt today.
I found it very difficult to put it down. It is full of personal details about Leslie Weatherhead, his early life, his calling to the ministry and his work as a Methodist minister both outside and in Inner London. There are details of his writings and quotations from his many books, leaflets and sermons etc. But above all his humanity and his love of God and his people shine out from the very pages of this book. I was so inspired that I purchased (via Amazon of course!) a couple more books by Leslie Weatherhead and I don't think I'll be stopping there.

Karl Barth 2nd Edition (Outstanding Christian Thinkers (Paperback Continuum))
Karl Barth 2nd Edition (Outstanding Christian Thinkers (Paperback Continuum))
by John Webster

3.0 out of 5 stars Karl Barth by John Webster (Outstanding Christian Thinkers series), 31 Mar. 2009
If you are a layperson (and don't have a degree in Theology) and are searching for more information on the thoughts and writings of Karl Barth, this probably is not the book for you! Out of 175pages I probably understood about twenty! It is full of theological words and jargon for which there is no explanation. My dictionary was alongside throughout but unfortunately this was not always of much help with the more theological language. I have read many theological books and am a committed Christian. I am very sad to say that this book was a real struggle.