Profile for Giacomo Lacava > Reviews

Content by Giacomo Lacava

Giacomo Lacava (Manchester, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Offered by Bora-Computer GbR

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for text, 4 Oct. 2016
This monitor might have been ok 4 years ago; nowadays, it's just sub-par. I'm using it besides an Iiyama 4k and a MacBookPro Retina, and text blur is just terrible. It might ok for simple graphics work, videogames and movies, but if your workflow is text-heavy, avoid.

Rain Design iLevel 2 Adjustable Height Notebook Stand (Patented)
Rain Design iLevel 2 Adjustable Height Notebook Stand (Patented)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality stand, 4 Oct. 2016
I've always been skeptical about stands and stopped buying them a few years ago, but this one is "da bomb". I have a 15'' rMBP, and when placed on the stand it feels glued to a rock - the front rib has a strip of soft plastic that keeps the laptop from shifting, without scratching edges. The little plastic bumps in corners keep the laptop up enough to stay well-cooled, and the hole underneath further helps dissipating heat. I used to hear cooling fans running most of the time, because I have two external monitors; since I replaced my makeshift stand (a stack of large books) with this, that problem has gone. And of course, it keeps the laptop screen high enough to be much more ergonomic - if you look at the picture, that piece of paper on the right is an A4 folded sidewise; that's pretty high, for this sort of stands. The finish is high quality and matches modern Macs perfectly.

One thing I would recommend is to place the laptop on the stand at the lowest setting (i.e. slider all the way to the left) then adjust it. The slider is very smooth to raise, but pretty bumpy and shaky to lower. If you need to lower, I'd recommend holding on the laptop with one hand just in case. Once in place, it holds perfectly.

This is the best stand I've bought in a while. I wish they had a model with quiet extra fans, and then it would be perfect.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Belkin N300 Wall Plug Mounted Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wireless Signal Booster

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 27 Aug. 2016
Not great. The controls are a bit obscure and it doesn't seem to pick up any 5ghz network, only the old (slower) ones.

SAD Light Box Daylight Therapy Lamp 10,000 Lux for Seasonal Affective Disorder
SAD Light Box Daylight Therapy Lamp 10,000 Lux for Seasonal Affective Disorder
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Aug. 2016
The whitest light I've ever seen. It's making a big difference to my life - I work from home in Northern England and my home office can get pretty dark, lonely and depressing when it rains (which means "most of the time"). When I switch this on, my eyes immediately feel like it was a sunny day and I feel a rush of positive energy. My only problem is placing it - it's bigger than your average desk lamp, and it's too bright to stare at it.

Buffalo HD-PA1.0TU3-EU 1TB MiniStation Thunderbolt USB3 Ext Hard Drive
Buffalo HD-PA1.0TU3-EU 1TB MiniStation Thunderbolt USB3 Ext Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Just replace the disk, 27 Aug. 2016
This is a nice Thunderbolt enclosure containing a bog-standard 5400rpm disk, the same sort of disk you find on cheap laptops. Its best feature is that it's easy to open and the disk is not soldered, which means you can replace it with a good SSD and get yourself an external drive as fast as your internal one - like I did - for a fraction of more expensive products. I can now run virtual machines straight out of this little fella.

Siamp 34335007 33 A Storm Single Flush Chrome Toilet Push Button - Chrome
Siamp 34335007 33 A Storm Single Flush Chrome Toilet Push Button - Chrome
Offered by PlumbinBitsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits flat holes, 27 Aug. 2016
THIS FITS "FLAT" HOLES!! It separates in two pieces, the button mechanism and some extra height; you can just use the button piece. I wish I'd realized this *years* ago, the years I spent trying to find a replacement for what was, at one point, a very popular flush button in Northern England - I found three toilets in two different houses with this mechanism, two of which broke after a few years. Now that I've found it, I bought an extra spare just in case...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wireless vertical ergonomic optical USB mouse / vertical model | Wireless 2.4G | ergonomic design - prevention against mouse arm/tennis arm (RSI syndrome) - particularly arm-friendly | wireless | 5 buttons
Offered by CSL-Computer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, shame it needs a dongle, 30 July 2016
It loses a star because it requires a dongle, which means losing a USB port. In 2016 these things should all be pure-Bluetooth, a BT chip doesn't cost £50.

Apart from that, it's seems fine. It's light and provides a fair grip. I use it with a Mac (10.11.6 El Capitan) and it appears as a normal mouse without any installation required. By default, the two thumb-buttons enable some terrible "hold and scroll" functionality; I had to override them with more useful actions using BetterTouchTool (third-party app). It's a shame you cannot override the DPI selector button on top of the "fin" (how often will you actually need to change something like that?), but I can confirm that the selector works fine with OSX, although you don't get any visual confirmation - it just cycles through the three available modes. I have fairly small hands for a man (my index finger is 7cm, medium finger 8cm, palm 9cm long and 8cm wide) and it works ok; I think the "trick" is not to try to fill your palm with it, just use your fingers to grip it gently. Two AAA batteries are included.

In short, it feels like a solid vertical mouse for a very low price, which unfortunately claims one USB port.

Lenovo G505 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (AMD E1-2100 1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVDRW, Webcam, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay far far away, 1 Nov. 2015
Worst laptop I've had to deal with in the last 5 years. Incredibly slow from day 1, increasing ram and switching to a hybrid-ssd drive made little difference. Less than two years later it started getting stuck at boot on the "Lenovo" splash screen, probably because of the CMOS setup creaking. I say this against my best interest (I'll never be able to offload it to some other sucker), but you should stay well away of this one. I don't think I'll ever trust the Lenovo brand again after this.

IBRA® 2m High Speed PRO GOLD RED HDMI v2.0/1.4a HDMI Cable 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K Ultra HD
Offered by Hd Zone

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough for 4k, 25 Mar. 2015
I have a fairly demanding setup (MacBookPro Retina 15'' + iiyama 4k monitor). The iiyama-supplied cable kept failing, so I replaced it with a Cablesson Prime 1m which worked flawlessly. Last week I had to move things around on my desk and realized I now needed a longer cable, so I bought this IBRA thinking it would be an *upgrade*. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm back to the old days: the minimum amount of vibration (typing or tapping on trackpad) results in temporary disconnection, distorted image etc.

This cable might be enough for your average TV, but it struggles with sustained 4k workload.

Cablesson Prime 1m High Speed HDMI Cable (HDMI Type A, HDMI 2.1/2.0b/2.0a/2.0/1.4) - 4K, 3D, UHD, ARC, Full HD, Ultra HD, 2160p, HDR - for PS4, Xbox One, Wii, Sky Q, LCD, LED, UHD, 4k TVs - Black
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars While using the cable that came with my monitor, ..., 28 Oct. 2014
While using the cable that came with my monitor, the image would disappear every few hours, and after less than two weeks it just went "flickering dark". Swapped it with this, and it's been working flawlessly ever since. That's HDMI for you: you don't get a degraded signal, it's all-or-nothing. If your monitor won't stay on for extended periods, don't mess with the socket, just get this cable.

Page: 1 | 2