Profile for Tony1044 > Reviews

Content by Tony1044

Tony1044

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
TeckNet Arctrix Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Set, Full Size 104 keys LED Illuminated Keyboard with Black Switch, Anti-ghosting Keys and Water-Resistant Design, UK Layout
Offered by Hippidion.Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard, weird mouse issue, 31 Oct. 2016
Ok so first off, I love the keyboard. It brings back my memories of what a keyboard should feel like to use with satisfying clicks and clunks.

I do like a backlit keyboard, though the special flashing effects you can get on this are just the manufacturer showing off and don't really serve any useful purposes beyond being a bit of fun.

It's obviously early days so I can't comment on the longevity of it but it does feel like a well put together, solid keyboard.

I wish it were possible to have more than two heights but that's a minor niggle.

So onto why not five stars...the mouse.

Nothing wrong with it. Perfectly comfortable and functional mouse with a nice weight. But...when it's plugged into my laptop my fingerprint scanner stops working...it is showing ok in device manager but just refuses to work.

So be careful if you have any biometric devices.

Hive Active Heating and Hot Water with Professional Installation
Hive Active Heating and Hot Water with Professional Installation

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 16 Oct. 2016
I had seen a Nest in action at a friends' house and ummed and aahed over whether to go Hive or Nest.

In the end, the newer designed Hive won my over, combined with the fact that since Google acquired them, Nest haven't really done much of anything with their brand whereas there are now sensors, sockets and lights that can be added to the Hive system.

We've had a rather pleasant summer so it's hard to tell if it's saved anything yet, so I can't really comment on that aspect yet. That said, we went away for two weeks in the summer and I turned the water off and the heating onto it's low energy mode. When we landed, I used the app on the phone to turn the water on and pop the heating on for half an hour just to remove the night-time chill for when we got home.

I've added a motion sensor but alas I'm having issues getting it to save the "recipes" as Hive oddly call them - I want it active at night when we're in bed and I want it to send alerts to my phone and via email...so far none of those settings save. I've chatted online with their technical support and it's now with their third line guys. So, not great from a failure perspective but so far well handled and well informed.

I am really happy with it and believe I made the best choice over Nest.

NETGEAR GS108PE-300EUS ProSAFE 8 Port Gigabit Web Managed (Plus) Ethernet Switch with 4-Port PoE

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to manage, 16 Oct. 2016
Superb little router for the money. Easy to manage, provides plenty of power for my PoE devices and so far hasn't missed a beat.

iPhone 6 Charger Case Powered by Lightning Cable, 3200 mAh PROGRIP iPhone 6S Charging Case (Matte Black)
Offered by Swiftons (UK)

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk. Poor build quality. Stopped working after a short time., 16 Oct. 2016
Junk. Within a few days, the coating started to crack. A few days after that it stopped charging the phone when plugged in - it would only charge itself first. Then, it would "charge" to 4 full LED's but when you pressed the button to charge the phone, only one or two LED's would light and it would only attempt to charge the phone for a few moments before turning off.

And finally, the connector itself for the charging lead has come loose!

It's been collected for return tomorrow.

Avoid it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2016 12:33 AM BST

eBoot Vintage Fountain Pen Natural Handcrafted Bamboo with Case and Ink Refill Converter
Offered by eBoot

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pen (early days) but awful fill mechanism., 25 April 2016
I have only just taken delivery of this pen. It is a nice weight. The box is a bit plasticky looking but would do the job.

The pen has nice balance and so far, nice ink flow but I've literally only written a couple of quick test sentences.

It looks nicer than the pictures - slightly darker in the case of mine but I guess that's partly down to being natural materials.

Certainly, it is very attractive.

The refiller though...hideous, plasticky, and actually bent! I will stick to cartridges.

Enamel Camping Mug
Enamel Camping Mug

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mug...but not very big., 19 April 2016
This review is from: Enamel Camping Mug (Misc.)
Great mug but smaller than I was expecting by a large margin

Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology (2nd Edition)
by Mark Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Every technical/deco trained diver should consider it a must-read, 19 April 2016
I bought this book shortly before embarking on my technical diving training with the author himself, Mark Powell.

Two things stand out for me about it. Firstly, it's written in such a way as it's readable. It's not a tome of text that you have to work hard to get through such as in text book format. This made it immediately attractive. Secondly, it gives a lot of information about the various decompression models and how we got them and why they are, or are not, currently used. An awful lot of this information - especially the detail - is actually very difficult to come by and in its raw form can be even harder to digest and understand.

Personally, I think that this should be a part of the material given in every course where decompression is included as it explains the models far better and far more simply than even some of the course manuals.

Orzly® FUSION Bumper Case Cover Shell for Oneplus 2 / OnePlus TWO - Protective Hard Cover with Impact Absorbing BLACK Rubber Rim and Clear Back Panel
Offered by G-Hub

4.0 out of 5 stars ... to some for sure but 1 - it's a great fit. It took a bit to snap in ..., 1 Mar. 2016
Not the highest quality case compared to some for sure but 1 - it's a great fit. It took a bit to snap in place but once on, the holes line up perfectly and the sides of the case don't interfere with the operation of any ports or buttons. 2 - the clear back doesn't hide the phone. 3 - it adds next to nothing onto the dimensions of the handset.

The back has picked up some minor scratching which is visible already but that's exactly the point - the case gets them not the handset.

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that overall it feels a little plasticky in the hand and despite my comment immediately above, it shouldn't scratch _quite_ so easily. However, I'd still have no problem recommending it to anyone.

OnePlus 2 Screen Protector, PThink® Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for OnePlus 2 with 9H Hardness/Anti-scratch/Fingerprint resistant (OnePlus 2)
Offered by PThink UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb screen protector if you're prepared to be patient, 1 Mar. 2016
I have to say I was a bit put off by a couple of the more negative reviews on this but the positive ones swung it and I am glad I chose to buy it.

In the pack you get the protector, a cloth, an alcohol wipe and a particulates sticker.

As my handset was almost brand new, I had no real need of the sticker but I used it anyway to make sure there were no tiny dust particles.

After that, I used the alcohol wipe and the soft cloth which brought the screen up to it's as-delivered cleanliness and it was streak-free.

Peel off the backing from the protector and line it up. It went on bang in the centre first time so I can't comment how easy or otherwise it would be to realign.

At this point it had bubbles and air pockets galore, as you'd expect, but following the instructions I worked from the centre of the screen outwards. If you have a squeegy it would definitely help here.

I was slightly worried at this point because it appeared that no matter what I did, I wasn't clearing every last pocket and bubble but they were only visible when the screen was off and the light angle was right. I perservered for a bit longer and some more came out but it was clear I wasn't getting them all out.

But.

I left it flat for a few hours and when I came back to it, they'd all gone - I think the protector just needed to settle itself and I am really really pleased with the result - if you look closely you can see there is a protector but only by the edges around the button and speaker, LED etc holes.

Definitely recommend this but not if you aren't patient enough to work slowly and properly.

USB Type C To USB Cable, CHOETECH 10ft(3m) Hi-speed Type A to Type C (USB C to USB A) Cable for LG G5, Lumia 950xl/950, Nexus 5x/6p, OnePlus 3, and Other Type-C Supported Devices
Offered by CHOETECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cable., 1 Mar. 2016
Only time will tell of course, about the longevity of this cable, but it feels above average - a nice thick cable and good quality connectors.

Not much more you can say about it other than that right now but it does feel good quality. If anything changes, I'll come back to update the review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6