Profile for Lee Boehmer > Reviews

Content by Lee Boehmer

Lee Boehmer (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Colour me surprised!, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Astronaut (Audio CD)
Duran Duran epitomised the eighties - that's not a criticism, it was a fun decade. I bought a number of their singles and played them to distraction but I never loved Duran Duran - not like I loved Talking Heads - and I never contemplated buying an album of theirs.
Fast forward to 2005. Having pestered a London nite-club DJ to reveal the artist that had performed a song that had so transfixed me imagine my surprise when he informed me that it was 'Nice' by Duran Duran. DURAN DURAN! I'd thought it was Kraftwerk!
Anyway, I bought the album on the strength of this one song and was astonished to find that it was packed with tunes at least the equal of 'Nice'. There really is not one track less than excellent on this album and four or five of the songs are absolutely breathtaking - most especially 'Point Of No Return'. Remarkable songs, peerless contemporary production, wonderful instrumentation, intriguing lyrics, a surprisingly powerful vocal performance (I never thought le Bon would be capable of this). It is an essential album.
If you like contemporary electronic pop, buy it.

Jordan: The Comeback
Jordan: The Comeback

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
In 1992, desperate for something new to listen to on a lengthy train journey, I borrowed the tape of this album from a housemate. The weekend ended and I returned the tape but for weeks afterwards I was caught by the same housemate humming melodic vignettes from JORDAN. I relented and bought the thing and for over fifteen years it has remained a firm favourite. This is an essential album. Buy it. Live it. Love it.

Andromeda Heights
Andromeda Heights
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddy Scaling The Heights, 2 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Andromeda Heights (Audio CD)
When first I purchased this album I must confess that I was a little disappointed. The first two tracks are as good as any pop songs ever written but what follows was something of a let-down. Having lived with the album for six months now, my opinion has changed completely - this album is sensational. It must be listened to as a whole building as it does to the melodic grandeur of the title track. Quite breathtaking.

The Duckworth Lewis Method
The Duckworth Lewis Method

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound of This Summer, 11 July 2009
Sensational! An album brimming with clever yet accessible songs and no small amount of nostalgia. What Andy Partidge would sound like if produced by Paul McCartney.

Lindsay Buckingham And Stevie Nicks: Soundstage [DVD]
Lindsay Buckingham And Stevie Nicks: Soundstage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lindsey Buckingham
Offered by pokerbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw-dropping, 16 Feb. 2007
This is, quite simply, an astonishing performance - worth buying for 'Red Rover' alone. I was never a fan of the song until seeing this breathtaking interpretation.

He showcases some of his lesser known songs and it is surprising to hear (and see) them eclipse some of his better known works.

The quality of the songs and the intensity with which they are delivered makes this set essential for fans of guitar singer-songwriters.

Sneakers [DVD] [1992]
Sneakers [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford
Offered by Amore DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuddle up Together, 24 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Sneakers [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
There are very few films that remain incessantly entertaining after repeated viewings but this is certainly one of them. I would describe it as a comfort movie - one to watch with the girlfriend on stormy afternoons or reassuringly peaceful evenings.
Sneakers is a feelgood comedy-thriller with a plausible and pacy plot and fine performances from a cast that works wonderfully well together.
Reminiscent of 1950's British espionage or courtroom thrillers, it relies, not upon contrived set-piece action sequences but upon strong plot and fine comedic performances from Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Mary McDonnell and River Phoenix (among others).
A particularly pleasing aspect of the movie is the soundtrack - composed by James Horner and featuring Branford Marsalis as a soloist. The instrumentation features bells and choral stylings that brings to mind snow and sleighs and the nativity. For this reason it has become something of a friends and family favourite at this time of year.
Honest, funny, romantic and nostalgic, this is a film that will soon mean something to you.

Sony MZ-NH900/BM Black Hi-MiniDisc Walkman
Sony MZ-NH900/BM Black Hi-MiniDisc Walkman

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Going Back To iPod, 20 Sept. 2004
Having lost faith with my iPod due to poor battery performance I decided to invest in one of the new breed of MD player/recorder from SONY - due in large part to recommendations from friends about the format but also because these units are powered by a single, replaceable AA cell.
Having had the unit for some two months now I can confidently say that I am never going back to iPod!!!
What is most impressive about the performance of this MD player is the sound reproduction. I was disbelieving of friends' claims that seemingly new elements of recorded sound reveal themselves when a CD is transferred to MD but it is true! When listening to my MD recording of Peter Gabriel's "PASSION" CD it possible to determine guitar and bass tracks that are inaudible on the CD. (Apologies to Tim and James for being a doubting Thomas).
Furthermore, SONY have improved the capacity of the MD. I now have my entire Brian Eno collection on one MD - with room to spare!!
The software for managing transfer to/from PC and editing playlists etc is less ergonomic than with iPod but is still common sense and functional.
I also find it reassuring having a disc that can you can see and touch. It just seems more tangible than data residing on some internal medium.
Lastly, the battery life is miraculous! I would estimate that a single AA battery provides approximately 50 hours of play at four hours per day. No more annoying battery failure on long journeys (as happened all to often with iPod) - simply take a replacement.
I cannot recomment MiniDisc, and this unit in particular, highly enough.

Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Digital Camera - Black (6MP, 6x Optical Zoom) 1.8 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good, I Bought It Twice, 20 Sept. 2004
During a holiday in the Outer Hebrides, my girlfriend and I took many pictures of the same breathtaking vistas with our individual cameras - she with a Fuji FinePix S7000 and I with (the much more expensive) Canon EOS 300D. Upon identical development I was astounded when comparing photos from the two cameras. Only when seen together does it become apparent how superior in definition, contrast and particularly colour are the FUJI pictures. Vastly superior! Of course I had to buy one of my own (and after having it stolen on a train journey from Bath to Glasgow) I had to buy it again.
More 'professional' than 'prosumer', the output from this camera is sensational.
(There is an adaptor ring available from Fuji that permits the addition of filters and lenses - an essential accessory).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2015 7:41 PM BST

Good Housekeeping Step-By-Step Vegetarian Cookbook
Good Housekeeping Step-By-Step Vegetarian Cookbook
by Good Housekeeping

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible!, 2 Jun. 2004
This attractive book dispels the notion that a vegetarian diet consists of bland and uninteresting meals. The 500 or so dishes presented in this book are a delight: varied, substantial and uniformaly delicious. Ample instruction is provided for the novice while many of the recipes will be stimulating for the more capable cook. Highly professional and highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2