Profile for J. A. Midgley > Reviews

There Must be more to Life than This
There Must be more to Life than This
by Barrie Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge THIS book by its cover, 2 Jan. 2013
The subtitle to this book is `How to experience the God of the Bible in Everyday Life'. I am basing my review on whether it delivered on that claim.

I really enjoy tinned peaches. Whenever I have a tin I am reminded just how good they are. I love them! Strangely though, I can go many months, even years between cans. Why? So many other options, the cans of peaches are at the back of the cupboard, other family members aren't so keen etc.

I really enjoy experiencing the God of the bible. I have found Him to be already there whenever I have reached out to Him. Strangely though, I tend to overlook opportunities to include him in my `everyday life.' Why? There are so many alternatives to relying on God; there are quick fixes which seem to offer a more predictable answer in less time and with less effort. We have replaced our need for God on many levels. We used to pray for safety before a long car journey. Now we have crumple zones and air bags. We used to ask God for wisdom ahead of a major purchase now we can google 20 reviews and make an informed choice. We prayed for God's chosen partner for our lives. Now we can join a dating site and be matched on 100 different traits. It's not that any of these things are wrong, just that we rob ourselves of the thrill of interacting with a living God.
This book encouraged me to open a spiritual 'tin of peaches' again and it was so rewarding.

I copied and pasted this Facebook post from my daughter. I might have prayed anyway but reading this book reminded me, as I searched for the paracetamol, that we have a God who is there and cares about every aspect of our lives and is longing for us to reach out to Him.

'Last night I learned something. Half awake, I rolled over in my bed and pulled a muscle in my rib finding myself in sudden great pain. I tried to change my position and lie comfortably but I couldn't lie down without this intense stinging. I went to go get my dad and he spent some time trying to help me feel better, but whether I stayed still, stretched or breathed deep, nothing helped. I then began to feel lightheaded and had to lie down in my bed. The pain brought tears to my eyes; I just wanted it to go away. My lovely dad then prayed for me once I was in a position where the pain wasn't so bad. Although I can't recall the prayer, as my mind was too preoccupied, God certainly heard it loud and clear, because seconds after my dad left my room, the pain was 100% gone. I lay in every angle to make sure and it was as if the pain had never been there! Different kinds of tears came out of my eyes; those of absolute gratitude and amazement in the closeness and love of my Savior. I haven't always been a strong advocate of prayer, perhaps because I didn't understand what difference it could make, however, I seemed to have forgotten who is on the other end of prayer and that is an all-powerful God who listens and cares! I am humbled and if nothing else, this New Year will be one in which I pray much more heartily.'

I believe anybody who reads this book will be challenged and encouraged and better still, enabled, to experience a personal encounter with the God of the Bible. To quote a commercial `It does exactly what it says on the tin"

P.S. As a friend and colleague of Barries for close on 30 years I mischievously wondered how far into his book his famed curries would get a mention. I was not disappointed; page 50!

ARSUK Laptop USB Folding Table W/ 2 Cooling Fan + Mouse Pad!
ARSUK Laptop USB Folding Table W/ 2 Cooling Fan + Mouse Pad!
Offered by Addtocart

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak and just doesn't work., 16 Dec. 2011
I think this has some very good design features but has not been made strong enough to be useful. It has a central hinge so that it can be packed away(good idea)but does not lock in the open position so tends to buckle. The area where the laptop sits is made of plastic i.e. no grip and despite the 'lip' which is supposed to hold the laptop in position, mine just slid off. It might be ok for a netbook but is useless for my 15 inch laptop. It feels very flimsy and of poor quality. A big disappointment I'm afraid. Back to the drawing board

The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story Of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story Of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
by Bro . Yun

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing-pass it on to a friend, 19 Oct. 2003
I was given this book by my mother-in-law.(Not necessarily the best start!) I could feel it impacting my life with-in the first 50 pages. How can someone who suffers so incredibly possibly believe that there's a God who loves him? If you read this book you'll find out and it will change your life too. I've yet to speak to anyone who has read this book who hasn't had the same reaction.