Profile for Amazon Addict > Reviews

Content by Amazon Addict

Amazon Addict (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to scratch, 27 Mar. 2012
My title doesn't reflect this product's scratchworthiness, nor it antireflection properties -as screen protection this is the bee's knees. However it dulls the screen terribly -and a great deal more than the Folix version for the Bold 9700, which I had before my 9900. I guess it must be a function of the construction needed to make this an electrical conductor, and possibly that of the 9900 screen itself, with its multiple layers for touch sensitive function. Whatever the reason, i have been a bit put off keeping one on my Bold, though will keep my spare set handy in case I need screen protection more than good vision of the screen.

Incidentally, I researched the hard-wearingness of the 9900 screen -and it has glowing reports both on the Internet and anecdotally. Though no one can verify if this is Gorilla glass, the screen certainly behaves as such. A colleague of mine (and someone I read on the Internet also) has thrown her (unprotected) 9900 daily into her pocket along with keys and other pocket flotsam -and not a scratch in sight after 5 months.

So I have mixed feelings about this particular Folix product -though I cannot fault the protection it offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class case, 27 Mar. 2012
I already own a PDair case for my Playbook and am so happy with it (see PDair BX2 Black Leather Case for BlackBerry PlayBook) that I decided to go with PDair again for my new BB Bold 9900. I bought the red version for myself, and this pink version for my partner. We are both delighted with the new cases!

The manufacturer's description here on Amazon is spot on -no need to reiterate all the features. It feels and smells lovely, and the red I chose is a nice solid and vivid red. It looks smart and exudes class. He stitching is neat and smart. Even the magnetic popper clicks into place with a satisfying "click" -like a quality car door on a small scale!

All buttons and ports are very easily accessed -there is no obstruction. It neatly includes the trademark BB magnetic switch which locks and puts the device into standby when closed. The front cover easily folds behind the back so it doesn't have to flap about when you're talking, or if you choose to put the BB (with case on) onto a car mobile phone holder (make sure you get one big enough -billed as for a PDA). The BB is very well held in the case by the side grips, and feels very secure. Yet it is easy to prise the case out if you want to place your BB in a charging pod.

The precious BB is well protected. The front and back are slightly padded. We like the fact that this design protects both faces but leaves the smart stainless steel trim visible. We like the flip down opening as opposed to the book-style opening of this version of case (PDair's other version). We both tend to hold our phones in our left hand and it is easy to flip the catch open with a thumb and then hold the case open with one hand. The book-style case would not be so easy for one-handed operation.

My partner would never use the belt clip. I have tried the optional extra belt clip -but don't like it or its operation. It does not feel secure, and for this I would use a purpose-made holster case.

UPDATE JULY 2012

After four months' constant use this case is showing very little sign of wear. The magnetic closure is as positive as it was to begin with, and the front and back remain rigid and protective. The "hinge" has become quite flexible but is not showing any signs of cracking. The side grips remain firm even though the Bold is taken out every night to go into a charging cradle on the bedside.

We're very happy with our Pdair cases.

PDair T41 Red Leather Case for BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930
PDair T41 Red Leather Case for BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930

5.0 out of 5 stars A case of class, 27 Mar. 2012
I already own a PDair case for my Playbook and am so happy with it (see PDair BX2 Black Leather Case for BlackBerry PlayBook) that I decided to go with PDair again for my new BB Bold 9900. I am delighted with the new case!

The manufacturer's description here on Amazon is spot on -no need to reiterate all the features. It feels and smells lovely, and the red I chose is a nice solid and vivid red. It looks smart and exudes class. The stitching is neat and smart. Even the magnetic popper clicks into place with a satisfying "click" -like a quality car door on a small scale!

My precious BB is well protected. The front and back are slightly padded, I like the fact that this design protects both faces but leaves the smart stainless steel trim visible. I like the flip down opening as opposed to the book-style opening of this version of case (PDair's other version). I hold the phone in my left hand and it is easy to flip the catch open with a thumb and then hold the case open with one hand. The book-style case would not be so easy for one-handed operation.

I bought my partner the pink version of the same case -and she is equally pleased.

UPDATE JULY 2012

We're very happy with our Pdair cases.

EvoStik 663565 Serious Glue 33g Tube
EvoStik 663565 Serious Glue 33g Tube
Offered by Anything 4 Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good glue, 18 Mar. 2012
This is the only glue I have ever found that will reliably stick to the waxy polypropylene plastic of car interiors. I use a flexible phone holder in my car, with a self-adhesive mount. This falls off within a day of being stuck on with its own sticky pad, or with conventional contact adhesives (with no load), so I have used this glue to stick the mount on -with great results. I have now done this in 3 cars. A big plus point is that the glue can be picked/scraped off, with a little effort, if you need to restore the car interior to its virgin state.

I echo what another reviewer has said about the nozzle clogging and the lid sticking -but I guess that is more about how good this glue is than anything. Like him, I too went out and bought more even though I had to abandon a part-used but unusable tube. This glue is so good that I will stick to 5 stars.

I'm never without a tube of this stuff -it really is a brilliant glue.

Highly recommended.

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could have given it full marks, 12 Mar. 2012
I so so wish I could have given this 5 stars. It's a fantastic idea, the reviews are good, and when I opened the box it looked really well made. I bought this to go in a new back door about to go up, and it was to keep our dachshund in (she has become an expert cat-flap-jumper), but allow the 3 cats to get in and out OK.

Unfortunately what the blurb on Amazon doesn't tell you (but that the manual does) is that the flap does not discriminate between animals going out -any can get out (in automatic mode). But that it is only in auto mode that animals wearing a chip not learnt by the unit will be kept out, and the rest allowed in.

Sadly this would have left us with the potential to lock the dog out -and the whole idea was to keep her in unless we opened a door for her, and reduce the risk of her escaping (the cats always come home, we have no idea if she would).

Unfortunately I had to use Amazon's (really efficient) returns system, and the flap is on its way back.

I could not give this high or low marks -it's a great product but there should be a little more info here on Amazon.

AA

UPDATE

The company got in touch with me after this review, and tell me that they are working on a flap that will do what I had originally wanted, and will let me know when it is available. I am very impressed with their approach to me, thus have increased the star rating to 4 -their customer service is indeed as good as other reviewers have said, so I will be going back to them when the right product is available for me.

Apple Wood Barbecue Smoking Wood Chips
Apple Wood Barbecue Smoking Wood Chips
Offered by Garden Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle smoky chip, 12 Mar. 2012
These chips have a lovely gentle flavour when smoked. I use them in a Weber 57cm One-Touch Original BBQ inside a Barbecue Wood Chip BBQ Smoker Box with great results. I soak the chips for at least an hour in warm water, and the smoker box (placed on a grille over the hot coals) keeps the wood smouldering for an hour or more, imbuing the food (I usually do chicken or salmon) with a sweet, not over-pungent flavour.

Secret Garden supply them in a handy re-usable sealable plastic tub. They have stayed bone dry over winter in my shed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Wizard, 9 Mar. 2012
I am a nightowl. I have been using a traditional and not very good wired headset on an extension cable, plugged into my TV, to watch TV late without disturbing the family. It works OK but is not very comfortable, and it is difficult to get away from snagging the lead and dislodging the headphones off my head every now and again.

I recently invested in bluetooth headphones Moor Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset for use with my Blackberry Bold -and I have been very impressed with them. I wistfully wished they could connect to my TV -and then I found this transmitter. Now they do and I am very happy with the relative freedom and great sound quality.

The instructions are written in a quirky English only found in electronic goods imported from China. (I wonder if there is one translator working manically for all companies across that giant country? -the style seems very consistent across all Chinese imports). It is however possible to figure out how to set up the transmitter, and it works flawlessly. I followed the instructions for the initial 4-hour charge, and on first connection to my Moor headphones, the set up process worked perfecly. I now have the Freedom of the City in my own lounge, able to move about unencumbered by a 5-meter cable, unsnagged by a caught headset lead, and enjoying great sound quality. Transmission has not broken up in several hours' use, with the connection remaining reliable.

I have yet to get to the point of having to recharge -and it will be a pain, I am sure, to have to end use in the middle of a session, or find that 21 days has gone by since I used it and that I need to recharge instead of using it -but there doesn't seem to be a transformer-powered version of this gadget out there. I am not sure about leaving it permanently plugged into the charger. I don't know if that would be OK or damage the battery -so will not try that.

Overall, a great buy, very inexpensive, does the job it is billed as doing.

Highly recommended,

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 2:30 PM BST

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless wonder, 9 Mar. 2012
I love my CD collection, I love my CD player -part of a now very aged Sony HiFi that still produces a wonderful warm and well-balanced sound. I am reluctant to get rid of it even though I now only use the CD player and not the radio or only half-functional twin cassette deck. Truly an icon of the millennium year!

Logitech to the rescue! This neat and wonderful gadget has brought my dinosaur up to the modern world in one step. I already have my entire CD collection stored on a 32Gb SDHC card Lexar 32GB Micro SDHC High Speed Card with Reader - Class 10 Extreme Speed and used in my Blackberry Bold on a daily basis, linked to my car audio and transforming my commute to and from work with a wonderful random play of all my CDs.

With this adaptor plugged into the old RF audio sockets inthe back of the amp, I can now use my Bold at home through the HiFi, and with great effect. There's an irony that sitting next to the HiFi are the 400 CDs now stored on the tiny card in my phone, being played via bluetooth back into the stereo!

On a practical level this works very very well. Pairing took but a moment and the adaptor recognises my Bold as soon as I ask it to connect to it, and then the light goes to green for go. The connection is strong and there have been no break-ups in transmission over several hours playtime at a time. Being permanently plugged into a mains adaptor means no worry about battery charge remaining and having to recharge. It's neat, smart-looking, unobtrusive and efficient. Worth paying the few quid more over its competitors I think. It seems faultless. The lead supplied is at least 50cm long and plenty long enough for convenient placement of the unit on top of your stereo or on an adjacent surface. I'd have liked to have seen this information on the site -it is not there- so here it is.

Apart from rejuvenating my beloved HiFi this gives me the ease of control that a mobile phone media player affords, and will transform entertainment as I can set up a playlist for any occasion and use that instead of constantly changing CDs.

Highly recommended.

UPDATE MARCH 2015

This gizmo is still working perfectly and keeps my 15 year old and obsolete but very loved stereo in frequent use -courtesy of bluetooth. Now streaming Youtube and any of 32 Gb of music form my latest Blackberry, and doing it perfectly. A great gadget.

Belkin N750 Wireless Dual-Band DSL Router - Black
Belkin N750 Wireless Dual-Band DSL Router - Black
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Route to contentment, 7 Mar. 2012
I am a technophile but am not a techknowitall. I love gadgets and love them the most when they are simple to set up and use, and deliver what they promise. The Belkin N750 fulfils all of my criteria.

I cheated completely on this. I have neither BT infinity nor a cable connection (which the box states this is designed for). I have been using my Sky modem router with a Netgear Rangemax (great in its heyday, now seriously out of date) piggy=backed onto it simply by connecting it into one of the LAN ports usually meant for a PC or laptop. The sky router fed the signal to the Netgear, which then spread it about my house.

This worked well initially, and over the last year the efficiency of the Rangemax has decreased considerably. This is, I think, completely due to the proliferation of wireless, bluetooth and wifi enabled gadgets in the house.

I took a chance that the Belkin would piggy-back successfully in the same way -and it did!

I now have a reliable and fast wifi signal throughout the house and down to the bottom of the garden (maybe 40 yards from the Belkin), and video and music streaming has improved immeasurably. Media streaming is what this router was designed for, and it does the job well. My Internet radio finds stations very quickly and there is no break in playback -as there was frequently with the old router.

Set up was simplicity itself. I was up and running within 5 minutes. No hardwire connection to a computer needed -with the installation disc in a laptop, full control of the unit is done wirelessly. It provided me with a main network, and a guest network, each with their own passwords. The guest network allows internet access only and no possibility of control of the unit or other networked equipment. Great for kids and their freinds.

I have to admit to ignorance and that I don't fully understand all the techie stuff that other reviews go on about. What I can tell you is that this router does what it claims to do, it looks good, with (thankfully) understated lighting -one blue LED- and is a cinch to set up -very little technical knowledge needed.

How refreshing!

Very highly recpmmended

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2012 7:52 PM GMT

Moor Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset
Moor Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me Moor!, 20 Feb. 2012
I have spent some time deliberating over which bluetooth headphones/earbuds to buy, and I settled on these on the basis of the overall good reviews. I am very happy with my choice.

I'm a late starter when it comes to digital music storage. It's only in the last few months that I have really got into digital music, but I now have my whole 400+ CD collection, plus some music downloads, recorded onto a superb micro SDHC card (Lexar 32GB Micro SDHC High Speed Card with Reader - Class 10 Extreme Speed) and have been listening, through my Blackberry Bold, in my car. I decided to venture to a Bluetooth headset because the notion of being wired up to my phone was putting me off using it as a music player. This Moor headset is the perfect solution for me.

The sound characteristics of this headset are excellent. As other reviews have mentioned, the bass response is very good -and easily good enough for me as a jazz double bass player. The controls work exactly as intended, and are easy to reach and use (this is an issue on other headsets, according to reviews).

The headset is surprisingly comfortable considering it is made of hard, rigid plastic. The mini speakers sit nestled in the outer ear, not actually inserting into the ear canal like buds do. I wore them for 2 hours this evening whilst cooking dinner -and for the most part was unaware of the feel of them, and aware only of the sound of them.

Unexpectedly, there is nearly no external sound leakage, so I would be happy to use these on a train journey. A received phone call is easily answered and automatically pauses the music player, resuming play after the end of the phone call. Sound quality of the received phone call is a oddly little tinny, and a lot different to the music playback quality -but perfectly adequate for conversation.

The bluetooth connection range is excellent, and I am able to move freely around a room, and go into another adjacent room without losing connection. I don't expect a huge range, and what I got was easily enough to give me the freedom I want to listen to music while doing domestic chores.

I haven't paired it up with any other devices other than my BB Bold so can't comment on performance with, eg, Skype on a Laptop -though there's no reason to believe there would be a problem, and other reviews say this and other types of connection is good.

I am really happy with this headset. It is now neatly folded up (lovely feature) in an unused larger-than-average glasses case, giving it perfect protection. You could easily buy one from an optician if you are not a glasses-wearer with a drawer full of redundant spectacles in cases (like me). It looks and feels solid and durable. The sliding action of extending the headband is secure and firm, with no looseness. A ratchet mechanism gives a secure feel to the process of extension, and the sense that this won't change size during wear.

A lovely bit of kit. Highly recommended

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20