Profile for Justin Summers > Reviews

Content by Justin Summers

Justin Summers "music guru (HA!)" (London, UK)

Peters World Map (Early Learning Geography)
Peters World Map (Early Learning Geography)
by Schofield & Sims Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Map we should all use, 31 July 2008
I am a teacher who strongly believes that the Mercator projection should NOT be used in schools. The proportions are wrong which leads to many misconceptions and Mercator shows 'wealthier' countries as being larger.

Whilst the Peters projection still isn't perfect, I use it in my classroom and I have found that my students have a clearer understanding of the world in map form once they compare the Mercator and Peters projections.

Oxfam have an online activity 'Maping Our World' which shows the benefits of using Peters Projection Maps.

I will be using this projection to teach my daughter about the world.

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom
by Melinda Blau

4.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for new parents, 28 July 2008
This book was the BEST purchase we made. Even though we read the whole book, we didn't follow it like a manual, we picked the parts we needed and/or agreed with and used those. Our baby was (and still is) peacefully sleeping through the night from 3 1/2 months on and following a routine - NOT a timetable. As parents we are calm, coping and know exactly what our baby wants and needs thanks to the advice in this book. All in all we are are very contented household! We were TOTALLY against controlled crying and this book (along with our instincts)helped us to get our baby sleeping without EVER leaving her to cry. Our siblings have now all bought this book after seeing how well it worked for us while they were still struggling with their babies of similar ages.

Babies (Baby Einstein)
Babies (Baby Einstein)
by Julie Aigner-Clark
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby loves it!, 8 Sept. 2007
Each time my baby reads this she is mesmerised. She loves following along with the words and then investigating the pictures. It is great to have a mix of drawings, photos and art to spark all areas of her mind. She totally understands HOW a book works because this one has been simple, short and entertaining enough to read together on many occasions.

Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun
Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra impressive sophomore album, 20 Dec. 2006
I'm a recent convert to this 'post-rock' movement. In the past, pummeling riffs, passionate vox and driving rhythms were my forte. Recently I started listening to the likes of Mogwai, Grails and such, and have latched onto this 'post-rock' thing with both hands.

And so we come to this. I have purchased a lot of albums this year (the aformentioned Mogwai album 'Mr Beast' being just one) and I rate 'Every Red Heart...' as being one of the best, if not the best, album released this year. I am of the opinion that this beats the new Isis album 'Absence of Truth' hands down.

As each listen passes, the depth of this album increases, the emotions conjured listening to these vocal-less, epic tracks become more passionate to the extent now where, one day last week, on my way to work, on public transport, I almost wept. It is a dark, brooding affair that will leave you exhilarated and exhausted at the same time.

This is an extraordinary creation, the whole being so much greater than the sum of its parts. It is infinitely better than the debut, which I found a bit too light and airy. The claustrophobia this album develops is enveloping and intense - as it should be for an 'epic' release.

Try to listen to the LP version. The greater fidelity offered by the vinyl format does wonders for the sound.

As a rawk n roll convert, this album is essential. For those of you not yet moving through post rock, doom and the like, this is a perfect introduction.

Incredible.

The Tenth Circle Of Hell: A Memoir of Life in the Death Camps of Bosnia
The Tenth Circle Of Hell: A Memoir of Life in the Death Camps of Bosnia
by Rezak Hukanovic

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for those of us concerned about humanity, 9 April 2005
After reading this book, after wiping away the tears after each page is turned, you must question whether the human race has learnt anything since the holocaust of WW2. This book describes exactly what ordinary people, friends of your own, neighbours, your students can become in the frenzy and hatred of ethnic war. I cannot comprehend how people can become these monsters so portrayed in this book, but time and again, history shows us that this happens again and again.
The writer depicts his survival of the Serb onslaught with all the emotions humans can feel, but hope stands out from all others. Even though he suffered unimaginable tortures, saw his friends mercilessly beaten to death, he always felt hope that he'd survive. Even when the UN deserted Yugoslavia to the ravenous wolves, he held his hope aloft.
This man is a hero to humanity, a hero to all that know human rights should be held in the highest of esteems, a hero to those seemingly without hope. May his life be full of joy and may the perpetrators of these horrific crimes be eventually bought to justice.

Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus
Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus
Offered by SDRC

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Bad Seeds of old....almost, 21 Sept. 2004
Hopefully, this album will signal the conclusion to Nick Cave's soul-searching era that pervaded the previous 3 albums. Elements of early Bad Seeds (ie Your Funeral, My Trial) combine with the new 'big' sound they've created to form an album full of soul, angst and dare we say it, joy. 'Abattoir Blues' is definitely the louder of the two discs, as there aren't too many hints of the 'balladeer' Nick Cave style, which for us early Cave and Birthday Party fans, is fantastic. 'Lyre of Orpheus' does contain some of these slower dittys, but overall, the album is a dominant affair. Very good indeed.