Profile for Rowena > Reviews

Content by Rowena

Rowena

Aperitif For Destruction (PA Version) (DMD Taken Down)
Aperitif For Destruction (PA Version) (DMD Taken Down)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hurrah!, 24 Jan. 2006
As soon as I heard there was a new Richard Cheese album, I ordered it and played it as soon as it arrived. In some aspects, the CD matches up to its predecessors (the cover of Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' which is interspersed with moments from the song 'Mr Sandman', or the way Alanis Morissette's angsty 'You Oughta Know' opens with the swelling sounds of a love song) but in other areas I wasn't so impressed, namely the dig at Michael Jackson. I am by no means a fan of Michael Jackson, but I just felt the joke at his expense was out of place on the album - it is too obvious, not as subtle as the humour I have found in Richard Cheese's stuff before.
However, it is still a fantastic album, with Richard Cheese and his cohorts continuing to make fun of bands like Slipknot (the lyrics to their song that appears on this album will never have quite the same anger for me now...) and the Black-Eyed Peas. It is definitely worth your money.

Freddy Got Fingered [DVD]
Freddy Got Fingered [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Green
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars tastelessness to be enjoyed for that very reason., 24 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Freddy Got Fingered [DVD] (DVD)
I saw Freddy Got Fingered for the first time with my then boyfriend. When he rented the DVD I was fully aware that this film was not exactly going to be tasteful (I mean, the title kind of gives that one away) and maybe that's why I appreciated it more than other reviewers on here, as I was expecting tastelessness.
I have to say, the elephant/horse jokes and the umbilical cord scenes are not my favourites in the film - my female friend feels the same way, whereas most of my male friends find it hilarious. However, there is still humour aside from those more obvious images. My favourite scene is when Gord wears a suit. Backwards. Green's sausage song, the unluckiest kid in the world, Drew Barrymore's cameo and some extremely quotable lines... all these contribute to the awesome and nonsensical world that is Freddy Got Fingered.
However. It isn't the kind of film you want to watch if you have a headache, Green opting to shout rather than talk for a lot of the film. Nor is it the kind of film you'd watch in front of parents or prudes. And if you have a dislike for crude and lewd humour involving animals, sexual acts or the combination thereof, then I think you need to steer clear of this film - especially if you like your films to at least have a real plot. If Tom Green isn't your cup of tea generally, and you find South Park tasteless, you will be repulsed by this film.
If they are, however, chances are you'll love the way the film revels in trying to disturb its audience.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy [DVD] [2004]
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Offered by Todays Great Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 4 Dec. 2005
I watched this for the second time recently, having failed to appreciate it when I originally saw it. The film itself would be best described, in a nutshell, as a Zoolander for the newscasting world, paying homage to those 1970s studs that were anchormen.
I think enough people have waxed lyrical about the wonder that is Will Ferrell - for me, the comedian-turned-actor that makes the film is Steve Carrell who has some of the funniest lines in the whole film: the kind of lines that leave you reeling, thinking, "Huh?!" but laughing nonetheless. Paul Rudd gives a strong performance too and the cameos from the rest of the Frat Pack (Vince Vaughn as the rival anchorman, Ben Stiller as the anchorman from Spanish speaking TV) make you grin. Christina Applegate is okay, although I don't think she can quite give as good as Christine Taylor in terms of matching up to the guys.
There are extensive special features, including commentary (which, let's face it, is what many of us look for when buying a DVD nowadays).
Don't let the critics put you off. Frat Pack films are never going to be critically-acclaimed Oscar-chasers. As long as you keep in mind the genre, you won't be disappointed. Like Old School, Dodgeball and Zoolander before it, Anchorman is just a hilarious way to while away ones time; where it can't wow with sophisticated editing etc, its comedy makes up for that.

Dvd ~ Ben Stiller

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum!, 19 July 2005
This review is from: Zoolander [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is the film that started my love affair with films starring the so-called 'Frat Pack' (Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson et al).
A parody of the male modelling world, there are some truly hilarious moments of the film - for example, when Zoolander and Hansel act like apes when trying to figure out how to turn the computer on, David Duchovny's cameo as a hand model and the school "For Kids Who Can't Read Good". The scene in the petrol station alone is worth buying the DVD for. Vince Vaughn makes a fleeting appearance, although it took me a while to recognise him under all the soot!
When I first watched the DVD I was laughing uncontrollably. Stiller, as Zoolander, provides instructions on how to work the menu. There is a satisfactory Easter Egg hidden within the Special Features menu, as Stiller says "For all you Internet geeks that search the Web for these things" (I'm one of them).
I really cannot fault this DVD. The film is extremely funny, and all the extras do not disappoint. If you have seen and enjoyed any of the Frat Pack's films, then this one won't let you down either.

Dvd ~ Ben Stiller

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum!, 19 July 2005
This review is from: Zoolander [DVD] [2001] (DVD)

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable., 19 July 2005
I was worried that this book might disappoint me: it is the first time that I have been a part of Potter-mania, having only read the preceding books after Phoenix came out, and I eagerly anticipated Half-Blood Prince's arrival therefore building up my own expectations of the book.
I needn't have worried. It did not disappoint. As soon as I arrived home from work to find the book, I could not put it down. As usual, JK uses subtle hints and red herrings to keep you guessing in regards to the identity of the half-blood prince, and has picked up the pace considerably in comparison to Phoenix, making it much more enjoyable to read. Harry has become more likeable again, although he does have his annoying moments, and the Weasleys provide humour once again (although Fred and George do not appear nearly enough!).
I give Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 4 stars. It is an excellent read... But. I found Harry's romance to be somewhat unnecessary considering the final outcome of the book, as well as being very cliched. I also felt as if the whole plot was packed into the final few chapters - which were brilliant - making the first two thirds of the book interesting, yes, but also a little stale: I was speed-reading those to get to the excitement at the end. As I've said, it's a fantastic book, but those couple of points let it down and stop me from giving it the 5 stars.