Profile for M. J. Stackhouse > Reviews

Content by M. J. Stackhouse

M. J. Stackhouse (UK)

Nintendo Switch Screen Protector, Yoozon [2-Pack] Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 10 Mar. 2017
Went on perfectly, and looks good quality, particularly for the price considering this is a pack of 2. Just ensure you're in a fairly dust free environment (I went in our office which hadn't been used for a few hours, so things had 'settled'). I washed my hands to remove any grease, sat the switch on a few new sheets of clean plain paper, gently wiped any specs off of the surface of the switch with the included cloth (this is crucial, the surface needs to be immaculate!). I then removed the film backing from the screen protector, let it fall into place lower end first, and it basically applied itself. No bubbles, and no taking it off and on again and again. I've done this sort of thing many, many times for phones/tablets for people, and this is one of the nicest screen protectors I've ever used (hence me bothering to write a review!). Can't comment on durability yet, but as long as it protects the switch screen underneath, then it's done it's job well.

myVEGAS Slots
myVEGAS Slots

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun stuff, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: myVEGAS Slots (App)
Good game, real rewards, shame it eats my battery for dinner! :o)

Arakawa Series 1 & 2 Collection [DVD]
Arakawa Series 1 & 2 Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Akiyuki Shinbou

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, essentially following the lives of crazy people ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Fantastic series, essentially following the lives of crazy people living by a river! Much better value than the separately released series 1 and 2 collections.

Fractale [DvD]
Fractale [DvD]
Dvd ~ Yu Kobayashi

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like a series made by Studio Ghibli!, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Fractale [DvD] (DVD)
I've just finished watching this in the original Japanese as this was all I could get hold of at present, and what a ride!

With lush background animation, and a compelling story, the only letdown was the shortness of this series which unfortunately resulted in a rather 'quick' ending, but the rest of the episodes more than makes up for this.

I'll try and sum it up; it's the future, pretty much everyone is connected to the Fractale system, and it's been like this for around a thousand years. Fractale makes life easy for everyone that chooses to use it, making the world look like a better place, as well as taking care of any dietary / medical requirements the users might have. There's no war, and people are generally content. Few people communicate in person anymore, instead opting to use virtual odd-looking 'dopples' of themselves (which is a shame, as most of the story seems to be set somewhere with lush green rolling hills and lovely blue skies!).

Fractale is naturally not all sunshine and roses, and there is a more sinister side lurking. There are of course people who resist Fractale who want to bring it down, but then you have the people who are hopelessly dependent on it (like an opt-in Matrix!).

The story revolves around a boy who likes antiques from the way we used to be. He gets mixed up with two girls, who turn out to be very important to Fractale, and some freedom fighters called Lost Millennium.

It's just a shame it's only 11 episodes long, as fleshing out some of the characters a little more, as well as explaining Fractale with some more detail would have saved this series a few unfair negative reviews online.

As a whole, this series impressed me. The art style, elements of the story and even the personalities of the characters are all similar to things you might have seen in other disparate works, but they all come together very nicely here.

There might be little plot quibbles, but these aside, just stand back and judge the series as a whole - the writers should be proud of this accomplishment!

SANHO CFTP-BLACK CloudFTP Black - ( > Cloud FTP)
SANHO CFTP-BLACK CloudFTP Black - ( > Cloud FTP)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance lets a good idea down, 7 Aug. 2012
I received this yesterday, with the idea of using it when on holiday to copy new videos onto my phone which doesn't have expandable storage (the HTC One X, with no micro SD card slot), and also to view photos taken via a card reader.

The idea is great, and just the sort of thing I was looking for, but the performance is a *massive* let down. Forget watching 720p videos streamed from this thing, let alone 1080p. Copying files from the device (with a very fast USB flash device) is almost painfully slow. I clocked it at around 5 and a half minutes for a 400mb file (and this is after the v14 firmware update which improved things, the same file took 9 minutes originally!). Consider that this file would take seconds to copy on a pc with the same flash device plugged into a USB port.

Testing in windows 7 to try and better measure the speed showed the performance to be even worse, and it occasionally dropped out altogether! However, this is a non-issue for myself at least, as with a PC you could just plug the device in!

The device itself is rather neat, and the battery lasts for quite a while (no AC charger in the box BTW, just the USB cable, and a suggestion to use a 5V 2A charger - which is an uncommonly high power USB charger, most are 1A, so I'm a little annoyed they didn't include one). There's no full manual either, just a quick start guide which says to get the full one from their website. Usually this wouldn't bug me, but the website doesn't have a copy of a full manual either, and support says one doesn't exist yet! Luckily it's easy to use.

I can personally cope with the poor performance, as I only need it to copy files from external devices to my phone for later viewing, so I can start this process and walk away. If however you plan to stream videos through it, or need quick access to data, this is not the device for you. You have been warned!

I will keep it for now, and hopefully further firmware updates will improve things in the future. I'll update my review later when new firmware comes out.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 11:16 AM BST

Panasonic TX-P42ST50B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Ready Plasma TV with Freeview and Smart Viera - Black (New for 2012)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality TV!, 1 July 2012
I've had the Panasonic TX-32LXD70 for years now, and have never had a problem with it, and so when it came to choosing a new TV, Panasonic was definitely at the top of the list. I spent weeks going through reviews and specs, but finally I found this little gem, the new for 2012 TX-P42ST50B.

I wanted a TV that would have accurate colour reproduction, no motion blur, and no input lag when playing games. All the other TV's at this price point fail slightly on one of those key points. The Samsung LEDs for instance, while gorgeously thin with an almost non-existent bezel, have higher motion blur than I would have tolerated when playing games. Other TV's always seemed to have problems with colour accuracy, over-saturating colours, or washed out black levels. This panel has none of these issues.

Out of the box, there's very little tweaking you need to do to get an excellent picture. Here are my quick recommendations:

- Switch the Viewing Mode to "True Cinema", this mode doesn't fiddle with the colours too much, so things look more natural
- Switch "CATS" off - this setting dynamically turns the brightness up and down depending on the ambient light, but can get irritating quite quickly!
- Switch "Vivid Colour" and "P-NR" off. While these help make things like cartoons look bright and vibrant in shops, they actually remove a little detail from the image.

And under the advanced settings menu, switch "Intelligent Frame Creation" off. While this is supposed to make motion in video seem smoother by dynamically inserting extra frames, I actually found it seemed to make fast motion 'judder' on occasion, so I've switched it off. The panel is more than good enough to keep up with the fastest motion without this on anyway, it's a plasma people!

If you connect a PC to this TV, you will also definitely want to switch "16:9 Overscan" off. 16:9 videos don't always fit TV panels 100% perfectly, so this option enlarges the image slightly, so there aren't a few black pixels down the sides (on the rare occurrences that this this happens). The downside is that when you connect a PC with this option on, the desktop looks zoomed-in slightly, with an inch or so missing around the screen. Leaving this off makes the desktop fit perfectly, and normal videos should be ever so slightly sharper as they're not being enlarged.

There are plenty of other settings you can adjust to get the colours just how you want them, but with the above altered, I didn't find the need to alter much else.

Anyway, back to the TV. One pleasant surprise was an option to plug in an external USB hard disk, which can then be used to pause/rewind live TV, as well as recording normally (the HD freeview TV channels record perfectly onto an old laptop hard disk plugged in around the back - very handy!).

The built-in speakers are pretty decent for a TV this thickness, and better than our old TV's, but we only used them for around 30 minutes before hooking up the optical out to the Onkyo amp underneath (the SPDIF output from the TV is slightly quieter than every other digital input we've got going into the amp, which is very odd considering I always thought these things should be the same 'level', but having to turn up the volume a little more when watching TV is a minor quibble).

The TV itself looks very stylish, with a thin dark 'gunmetal' grey surround. Size wise the unit itself doesn't seem much bigger than our old 32-inch TV, so it doesn't dominate the room (but the picture is obviously much larger!).

The panel is covered with glass, but don't let that worry you if you're coming from a matt panel, Panasonic have apparently covered it it with some magic to help reduce reflections (and ambient light making it look dull like with older plasmas), and it seems to work well.

I haven't tried the 3D features yet, but it's worth noting that you don't necessarily need the expensive Panasonic branded glasses - these Samsung ones apparently work exactly the same, and are cheaper/more comfortable:

So to sum up, a TV with excellent picture quality, stylish design, and good build quality - highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2012 8:31 PM BST

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger (PC DVD)
BlazBlue Calamity Trigger (PC DVD)
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Street Fighter 4 in my opinion, 13 Jan. 2012
I enjoyed playing Street Fighter 4 (SF4), and since there aren't many good beat em ups on the PC, I figured this was worth a try, particularly as I watch a fair bit of Anime (so the character art style was appealing). I'm proud to report that I'm very glad with what I received!

Firstly, a little side-note:
Initially I had a problem with no sound coming from the game on the machine in the living room; I would simply get the intro video music, the Games for Windows Live! beeps while navigating the menus, and that was it.... There no sound anywhere anywhere else in the game.

I tried updating the sound drivers, DirectX, the usual suspects, but nothing worked. I tried it on my laptop, and it worked fine, albeit very slowly! (both are Windows 7, the laptop being the 64-bit variety BTW).

Figuring it was an incompatibility with the game and the media PC audio setup, I popped in an old Creative sound card (in the previous testing the Media PC was using the optical out from an ADI AD1988B 8-channel onboard High-Def chipset going into an Onkyo TX-NR509), and behold, there is sound now!

I have to switch the default audio output device before I play the game and switch inputs on the amp, but it's worth the small amount of faff. Please don't let my tech issue put you off BTW, as I'm sure that my particular problem is very hardware specific, I'm just including it here to help anyone else that has the same odd issue!

Anyway, on the to the game itself!
The graphics in the game are great, and the voice acting is much better than some English translated Anime I've watched! The amount of content is impressive beyond a simple fighter game like SF4 (granted in SF4 there are little anime clips before some matches, and some art to unlock, but most of it just feels bolted on as a afterthought if I'm honest!). The story mode in BlazBlue is particularly fun (I'm currently enjoying trying to get each character's story completion to 100%; I can't stand leaving things incomplete!).

Each character has different controls to get used to, and once you start to learn the combos for special moves, it gets a lot more fun. There's a little frantic button mashing than in SF4, but my wife can still kick my ass with her tried and tested 'press everything' technique, so it's certainly accessible for anyone!

Overall, a rocky start, but I'm glad I persevered and got it working, as it's one of the best games I got over Christmas now! It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but tt's certainly a game franchise I'll keep my eye on now.

A Vampyre Story (PC DVD)
A Vampyre Story (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game, 19 July 2009
Same sort of controls as Monkey Island 3, so everything is done with the mouse (except for saving/opening games). The background graphics are great (actually drawn by the same guys who drew the backgrounds in monkey island games, so no surprises there). Cutscenes are a bit iffy with badly rendered 3D character models (they look much better in the normal game though, which seems the wrong way around!).

Played well on a widescreen TV connected to a PC with NVIDIA onboard graphics (I'm guessing there are different versions of the graphics for varying screen aspect ratios). I ran the game in Windows 7 without any problems by the way, which is more than can be said for "So Blonde"!

Voice talent is excellent, except for the Shrowdy character, who I keep expecting the say "de plane, de plane!". The dialogue is well thought out, witty, and in places so funny that you can't help but click the same things two or three times just to hear what was said again! I particularly liked the idea of saving an 'idea' of something in your inventory for the large items, rather than just picking it up, much more sensible!

The only real bad thing I can say is that it's a little short, although this is just the first 'chapter' in the story, and the next one is currently being made, so I won't mark it down for that, particularly as it was so cheap for the number of evenings of enjoyment I got from it (perhaps it just seemed short because I was enjoying it so much!).

A highly enjoyable game that I'd recommend to anyone who likes point and click adventure games.

It's Not Me It's You
It's Not Me It's You
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 12 Jun. 2009
This review is from: It's Not Me It's You (Audio CD)
This is my first Lilly Allen album, and I don't think it'll be my last. This was an impulse purchase after hearing 'The Fear' on the radio, but I never thought I'd like every song on the album! Although if I had to pick one, then the first track is my least favourite (but it still grows on you). 'Chinese' is a really sweet song about the joys of a simple life together, and makes me smile every time I hear it, and the album is worth every penny just for that track. At any rate, this album is a real gem, and I'd highly recommend you give it a try if you're new to Lilly Allen like me.