Profile for Crafty Minx > Reviews

Content by Crafty Minx

Crafty Minx (North Somerset, United Kingdom)

Digihome 500GB SD PVR Set Top Box (discontinued by manufacturer)
Digihome 500GB SD PVR Set Top Box (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Tech Express

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it -5 I would, 24 Aug. 2013
This is honestly the worst bit of technology I have ever had the misfortune to buy. The first one was returned for a replacement as I thought it must be faulty, but as the replacement was exactly the same this is clearly how it is meant to be.

Apparently the firmware is full of bugs but rather than withdraw and upgrade they have decided to knock them out cheap. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm disappointed that a reputable company like Amazon feel it's alright to sell them.

A summary of the worst of the problems:

Freezes with monotonous regularity. Response time up to 4 minutes for even the most basic commands (record, delete, select channel etc.). Randomly turned off the TV it was connected to.

I really lost the will to live with this one, The second one is now on its way back to Amazon and I've bought a decent one from Currys, They don't sell this sort of carp there.

Avoid at all costs unless you have the patience of a saint and some very low expectations.

Burn After Reading [DVD]
Burn After Reading [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be called Burn Before Watching, 29 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Burn After Reading [DVD] (DVD)
Never in my life have I seen such a good example of a film carried by hype. I've always thought the Coen Brothers were over-rated and this one firmly establises that for me. What a load of dross. Don't waste your money or your time. I only gave it one star because you can't give none.

Creative Wire Jewelry (Crafts Highlights)
Creative Wire Jewelry (Crafts Highlights)
by Kathy Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 11 Aug. 2009
In her preface Ms Peterson says that she wrote this book after only 18 months experience of wire working - and boy, does it show.

I bought it in the hope that I would learn some new skills, but found that mostly it was one big advert for wire twirling tools like the Twist'n'Curl or the Artistic Wire Wire Worker, and plastic wire jigs like the Wig-Jig and the Thing-a-ma-Jig. In fact there she doesn't seem to be able to make much at all without resorting to one or the other of them.

I want to know things like how to make my wire wrapping look professional and stay tight, tips for getting even results when using round nosed pliers to form shapes, and incidental things like hardening and tarnishing wire, but I was sadly disappointed. Most of the projects are things I have tried and not repeated because I didn't particularly like them, and I would say they are aimed at the level of enthusiastic child rather than serious crafter.

Don't bother with this one, it's a complete waste of money if you are serious about jewellery making. Instead I would recommend you go for something like 'The Complete Guide to Wire and Beaded Jewellery: Over 50 Beautiful Projects Using Wire and Beads' or 'Creating Wire & Beaded Jewellery: Over 35 Beautiful Projects Using Wire and Beads', both by Linda Jones, which aim far higher than this effort.

Slim: Low-Fat Eating for Life (Australian Womens Weekly)
Slim: Low-Fat Eating for Life (Australian Womens Weekly)
by Pamela Clark

4.0 out of 5 stars Is what it says on the cover, 29 Jun. 2009
I just wanted to counteract the previous, in my opinion rather silly, review which complains that it is not a low-carb book. I'd say if you want a low-carb book go and buy one. I wouldn't buy a low-carb then complain that there are no low fat recipes in it.

This a workmanlike, well illustrated book called 'Slim - Low Fat Eating for Life' (low fat note, not low carb - bit of a clue eh?) with tasty recipes that are not so difficult to cook that you won't keep it up. Most of the food is quite family friendly (though if you have teenagers you will have to add HUGE amounts of carbs to make sure they are filled up) and there are also recipes suitable for entertaining. With a larger budget you could proably find a better book, but for the money I'd say it's prety damn good.

Greece (Lonely Planet World Food)
Greece (Lonely Planet World Food)
by Richard Sterling

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Greece and Greek food you MUST buy this book!!!, 13 April 2009
I bought this book after a fabulous holiday on one of the Greek islands which left me craving more. Restaurants are fine but it's not possible to eat out all the time and besides I really wanted to cook at home, and to be able to recreate authentic recipes rather than the Anglicised versions so many cookbooks offer.

This is not a recipe book but a book about Greek culture, history, habits, traditions, ingredients, places and way of life. The recipes, though few, are truly Greek, with rich and sumptious flavours, but surprisingly the methods are not complicated and the ingredients are readily available, most of the necessities being available in the supermarket. The book explains all the ingredients in detail so that you have an understanding of varieties and uses of Greek staples like rice, olive oil and wine.

The recipes are only a small part of what makes this book so perfect though - when you read it the essence of Greece is there, distilled into a handy little paperback which you can take anywhere. If you are planning a trip to Greece it is packed with useful information for travellers, including a handy dictionary section and very useful phrases with a pronunciation guide. Like other Lonely Planet books this one seems to condense a whole culture into a little book. Take it on the bus on a grey rainy day and you will find yourself reaching your destination in a much sunnier mood!

100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
by Lesley Stanfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Your search for realistic flower patterns ends here, 6 April 2009
It's quite easy to find "made-up" flower patterns, but if you want to make something that looks like an actual flower of a particular kind this is the book you need. I'm particularly fond of the pansy. Not for the real beginner as some skill and understanding of instructions is required, but the results are well worth the effort. I think the results are better if you use a small hook and fine yarn, then they really do look like the real thing and make up into very pretty bouquets. Done with embroidery silk they also make beautiful embellishments. I would thoroughly recommend this book.

The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face, Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
by Edie Eckman

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful crochet book I've ever bought!, 6 April 2009
This is a book that tells you all those little niggling things the grander ones assume you know. Everything I've ever looked up has been in it and it has never let me down yet. It's only the size of a postcard, small enough to keep in a workbag so it's always where you need it to be, but absolutely packed with information. Probably the only crochet book you really need to own as patterns etc can easily be found free on the internet but this is full of the stuff you want at your fingertips wherever you are crocheting. Buy it!!

The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004]
The Phantom of the Opera [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!, 23 May 2005
This dvd arrived on Friday and I watched it that evening. Then I watched it twice on Saturday, and then twice more on Sunday, and intend to have another fix tonight. I just can't get enough of it.
Everything about it is perfect, from the breathtaking set pieces (like 'The Music of the Night' and 'Masquerade', which left me gasping), through the powerfully erotic and sensual ('The Point of No Return', which left me with a pounding heart - wow!), to the tragic and heart-rending ('Madam Giry's Tale/The Fairground' and 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again', which left me in tears).
The brave casting of two relatively unknown leads has paid off. Emmy Rossum is too beautiful and talented for words, and Gerard Butler more than makes up for his lack of operatic training with the passion and feeling in his voice and performance. He conveys faultlessly the desire, rage, suppressed passion and deep sadness of one of the greatest tragic anti-heroes ever. The supporting cast, most of them more famous than the leads, are superb without exception.
The sets and costumes are everything I expected, totally lavish and spectacular, the choreography excellent. I can't find anything bad to say about it.
Do yourself a favour and buy it NOW!