Profile for Mark Twain > Reviews

Instant Table Tennis
Instant Table Tennis
Offered by FancyDressForAll

5.0 out of 5 stars great concept and great product, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Instant Table TennisP (Toy)
really great product!
the extra that comes with it is not worth much (but what did you expect as such a low price) but the net itself is very practical.

Tweezerman Slant Tweezer Midnight Sky
Tweezerman Slant Tweezer Midnight Sky
Offered by RPTSALES

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best..., 5 Nov. 2015
my SO owns a similar looking pair of tweezers, straight not slanted, from another brand.

I regret this purchase. I expected much better performance given the rave reviews, but these tweezers are not nearly as good as the ones my SO has (plucking hair is much easier), plus the slanted shape is unpractical.

Square Mile Men's Rhodium Plated Base Metal and Black Cufflinks
Square Mile Men's Rhodium Plated Base Metal and Black Cufflinks

5.0 out of 5 stars Very classy cufflinks, 5 Nov. 2015
I really like these cufflinks.

TDK Blu-ray Disc 5 Pack - 50GB 2X BD-RE DL -Printable- [2010 Version]
TDK Blu-ray Disc 5 Pack - 50GB 2X BD-RE DL -Printable- [2010 Version]
Offered by Expo Japan

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 5 Nov. 2015
I already tried 4 out of the 5 discs.
One for data, I didn't test it to see if it works well or not.
And three discs were tested with Bluray backups.
One disc worked perfectly with the one movie I tried it with.

The other 2 didn't work well (tested with 3 or 4 movies), the different movies always crashed after around 1h30 or 1h40, which is more or less where the second layer starts.
The movies work again if you jump forward 10 minutes, once you're well within the 2nd layer.
I tried everything, full erase again, burning at 1x instead of 2x (didn't work).

I gave 2 stars because one disc is working, but this is really a bad quality product, I should just stick to Verbatim.

Do not buy.

Sherlock - Series 1-2 [Blu-ray]  [Region Free]
Sherlock - Series 1-2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by Amore DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars great TV serie, 13 Nov. 2014
it's simple, if you're not hooked from the very first episode, then there is no point in watching more.
if you are, then you'll enjoy this brilliant show

Texas Instruments BA II+ PRO  Calculator
Texas Instruments BA II+ PRO Calculator

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay calculator, HP 20b is better, 13 Nov. 2014
I bought this calculator for a certification exam, as it is one of the few ones that are allowed.

I ended up disappointed by it and bought the HP 20b instead.

The latter has very useful distribution functions, it lets you lookup values for Normal, Student, and other distributions, without having to refer to tables or having to remember the usual 95% and 99% values.

It is also easier to use and the buttons feel better. The TI never felt right.

The only function I like about the TI is that it can also calculate bond Durations, so I am still keeping it for that and will use both during the exam, but if I had to choose one, it would be the HP 20b.

Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices: What's Missing in Your Body
Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices: What's Missing in Your Body
by Norman W. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but book didn't age well., 28 May 2013
This book might have been ground breaking when it was released, but it did not age that well.
The author keeps annoying us throughout the whole book with the "our Creator" BS. Oh how I wish authors would keep their religious beliefs to themselves...

The book is also not well organized.
Sure, there are quick recipes at the end of the book for various illnesses and health issues, but without any measure (for example, it would only say to juice carrots and spinnach for this health issues, but won't give any proportions)
But there are other recipes and stories about diseases cured by juicing throughout the book, and there is no index for those.

If you want a modern book backed by real scientific evidence and written by a real doctor, check out "Super Immunity".
It is not for juicing but it will tell you which veggies and green leafs are the best nutrition wise so you know what to juice.

But this book remains a good book for specific recipes supposed to cure specific illnesses.
Although I personally haven't tested any of the author's claims.

Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
by Joel Fuhrman

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely high quality and ilfe changing information, 28 May 2013
This is only a review for the first half of the book, I did not try any recipe.
I always defined myself as carnivorous (although I love eating fruits) and never liked eating cooked vegetables or green leafs.
But the author makes a very good case, backed by scientific evidence, for a better diet based on grean leafs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, mushrooms, berries, and little meat if any.
He also debunks many myths such as all the drugs doctors prescribe for benign colds that only mask the symptoms without really curing the disease. I related to that part a lot: I instinctively never went to any doctor for colds and always let my body naturally deal with it.
Thanks to this book, I now know better what to eat and what to avoid, and the real consequences of the food that we all know we should avoid (refined sugar, wheat, processed food in general, etc.)

Now enough of the theory and let's talk about the practice.
If you're like me, fond of meat and fruits but not vegetables, a good solution I found was to buy a juicer.
I recommend the Omega 8004/8006 (in Europe it is called Omega 8224/8226) for that.

I basically juice carrots, apples, pears (I like those), maybe half a grapefruit, some tomatoes, and I add all those grean leafs (kale, chard, spinnach, anything) and vegetables (broccoli, coliflower, etc) that I normally never eat.
A juice made with a masticating juicer is extremely high in nutrition that will get absorbed within 10 to 15mn on an empty stomach.
I drink 0.5 to 1L a day (unless on holidays)
I've been doing this for few months, never been better.
My bowel movements occur more often and I have more energy.
Drinking juice had reduced my craving for coffee: I used to drink 2 Latte Macchiato a day (with 2 shots of espresso in each), and I cut down to a maximum of 1, much smaller amount, with only 1 espresso shot (and only when I feel tired from lack of sleep).
My craving for meat reduced dramatically, I couldn't believe it.
I used to require meat for lunch AND dinner, and sometimes I'd even eat it for breakfast if available.
Now not anymore, I eat meat for lunch because I don't like mainstream vegetarian food, but for dinner I often do without and I eat fruits, drink a juice, or even an occasional vegetarian recipe (homemade, such as korean bibimbap).
When I go food shopping, I know buy loads of veggies instead of buying lot of meat.

So I recommend juicing if you would like to incorporate veggies and green leafs in your diet but hate the taste.
Not to mention the loss of nutrients when you cook those...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2015 8:49 PM GMT

Insanity: The Ultimate Cardio Workout and Fitness DVD Programme.
Insanity: The Ultimate Cardio Workout and Fitness DVD Programme.
Offered by Beachbody

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks into the workout, it's working so far!, 24 Feb. 2013
I didn't want to review Insanity on day 1, as many did, and preferred to wait for the 2nd fit test results before writing a review (which I will update after every fit test).

skip the next part if you want to read directly about Insanity, it's just an introductory part

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am 30, 1m77, 79kg, moderately fit, but a bit overweight.

I never did any serious workout before turning 26 or 27, then I started doing cardio+weight lifting in the gym, twice a week, plus a weekly soccer game with friends, and also paying attention to nutrition (protein shake, better diet, etc.)
I very quickly got good results in 6 months or so (down to 72kg at some point!), that I unfortunately didn't keep, due to some injuries, holidays, and laziness.
After that, I went once a week to the gym whenever I wasn't too lazy.

fast forward to october 2012 when I decided enough is enough and went to the gym 3 times a week for a 1h class of Body Attack.
I really liked it, it was nice to work out in a group with a teacher (although it has some cons, like when somebody farts in the room :-P)
I could hardly complete it the 1st time but I improved dramatically after 3 classes.
However, it turned out to not be intense enough for me (or maybe I should have mixed it with Body Pump), as I stopped feeling any improvement in cardio, and there was almost none in other areas, such as lunges, where I always struggled.

I did this for 3 months, then we had 2 weeks holidays overseas before moving to a new area that is far from the fitness club, and with all the stress and the unpacking, I didn't really work out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was disgusted by myself, and going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week was not an option my wife would have been happy with, seeing that commuting alone would have taken 1 hour.
Insanity was just perfect for me to try: minimal equipment, home workout, short (45 to 60mn) and the promise of amazing results.

I knew I was not as fit as 2 months ago but I still thought I was fit enough for it, and the fit test was... humbling.
I didn't do badly on the first 2 tests (there are 8) and was beginning to think that I was fit and all, in my mind I was winning this :D
but then it all went downhill :-S
The power jumps killed me, the globe jumps even further, and the suicide jumps were the final nail on the coffin.

After that, I collapsed on the couch, nearly passed out, and almost vomited.
I couldn't finish the last two tests.

The next day, my muscles hurt like hell but I still did the first course, Plyometric Cardio Circuit.
I struggled a lot but didn't feel as bad as I felt during the fit test.

then I got sick for about a week, resumed training for few days, then we had a 3-days holidays, and then I finished the 2nd week without any unscheduled break.
in total, it tooks me 22 or 23 days to finish the first two weeks.

My diet was less than ideal, specially during lunch time: indian/malaysian food, sushi, pizza, etc.
I rarely ate proper 5 meals a day (except if you count snacking on a fruit as a proper meal) and I only ate properly for breakfast: cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt, loads of healthy grains (chia, etc.)

I always exercised in the evening except during week-ends.

I cursed Shaun T during the "cardio recovery" sessions, that was a big lie :D
it was full of stretching and painful leg work.
I guess, technically, it is a "cardio recovery" for the heart, but really not for the muscles :-S

and I cursed him even more during the "Cardio Abs" workout that you do right after "Pure Cardio", you will see why when you do it for the first time :)

My least favourite session was "Cardio Power & Resistance", perhaps because it often coincided with me being more tired than usual.

You will laugh at times during the videos, there are some funny lines or moments.

You might also end up having a nemesis, mine is Tanya.
Not because I am jealous of her fitness level, but because she's overdoing it every time the camera is on her.
All the other participants are normal, and she's the only one that feels the need to constantly show off.
Plus she cheats on the fit test, counting by twos on the first one!

So my 2nd fit test is done, and I am very pleased with the results.
Switch Kicks: I went from 65 to 72 (for this tests, 2 kicks = 1 rep)
Power Jacks: 54 to 50 (not sure what happened)
Power Knees:70 to 100!
Power Jumps: 25 to 35 (these ones are tough...)
Globe Jumps: 5 to 10 (tougher...)
Suicide Jumps: 11 to 13 (I hate those!)
Push-Up Jacks: 0 to 20
Low Plank Oblique: 0 to 50

and I did not feel like vomiting or passing out at the end of the fit test.
I am very pleased with the results!

However, I did not lose any weight, due to my less than ideal diet, but my upper 4 abs are more defined than before.
the lower part is still hopelessly covered with a layer of fat.
my legs are stronger, I am a bit less inflexible than before, and my arms are stronger as well (I can do more pushups now)

I will update this post as my journey continues, and I hope to finish this program without any injury.

Here is what I am using to workout:
- sweatband for the head
- Polar RS800CX to monitor heart rate, calories, etc. and upload every workout to my PC
- the BeachBody Jump Mat that you get with the Deluxe Package: very happy with it so far.
- good running shoes, that help (with the mat) to prevent knee injuries, as the program requires lot of jumping.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 11:37 PM GMT

Cyborg R.A.T - 7 Mouse (PC)
Cyborg R.A.T - 7 Mouse (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars very nice design but that's it., 14 Feb. 2013
I got this mouse as a gift and it replaced a Logitech G500.
The G500 was nearly flawless, my ONLY issue with it was its ugly color.

I was very excited to use the RAT 7, it looked so cool and futuristic.

Initially, I missed the ergonomy of the G500: it was more practical and had more buttons.

Later on, unfortunately, I often had random issues where the cursor would suddenly start moving very slowly and lag.

and now, after a year or so, the left button started sending double/triple clicks on almost every single click.

I contacted the Mad Catz support.
They initially wrote back within a day, acknowledging the problem and asking me to send it back.
However, as soon as they learned that I lived in Europe but not in UK, my ticket went into limbo.
I had to send several emails over the next 10 days before I finally received an answer asking me to go through the retailer (great, I love going through a middle man that will make everything slow and more annoying...)

I've had it with this mouse and this horrible level of customer service.
I will simply repurchase a Logitech G500, it is much cheaper nowadays, and really much better (and reliable!) than the RAT 7 in every aspect except design.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2016 9:31 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2