Profile for elehn > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ridder Square 22050310 Soap Dish Black
Ridder Square 22050310 Soap Dish Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Soap dish, 12 July 2015
It's a lovely looking soap dish and of very good quality. What I didn't think through before buying is that any residue water would just collect in the middle depression. To avoid the soap remains collecting, you will want to clean it very often.

Hidden (Alex Verus Novels)
Hidden (Alex Verus Novels)
by Benedict Jacka
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden-Alex Verus, 12 July 2015
Hidden continues the Alex Verus stories. I have read all in series and enjoyed them quite a lot. As with all it's predecessors, I find that "hidden" also has a short-ish chunk somewhere in the middle that is a little boring and hard to get through. Here a party scene. But once we've left that party, it becomes very enjoyable and fast paced again.

Elegant Touch Professional Emery Boards
Elegant Touch Professional Emery Boards

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant touch emery boards, 12 July 2015
Very good quality, strong and sturdy emery boards to shapen and shorten.

Funny Girl
Funny Girl
by Nick Hornby

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Girl, 12 July 2015
This review is from: Funny Girl (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed Funny Girl. This is the story of Barbara, a short way in changed to Sophie, who as an unknown earns a leading role in a new BBC sitcom in the 1960s. The story continues as the story of the sitcom and its main players, though it is centered on Sophie. I am not English. So, as some real shows and people are mixed in the story - such as Sophie citing Lucille Ball as her major influence and references to "Til death do us part"- I actually wondered whether Barbara (and Jim) had been a real sitcom. It wasn't, but it might as well. Another aspect adding to the stories authenticity is the rather real portrayal of underlying intolerance of homosexuality and, though a minor point, racism. The main characters are themselves tolerant of homosexuality, but do so in an open-mouthed, amazed way- they are very proud to be so. I assume this very well portrays what it was like in the 60s in the UK. I very much enjoyed the story and the characters. I couldn't put it down as they say and finished it in a rather enjoyable day (and a half).

The Girl With All The Gifts
The Girl With All The Gifts
by M. R. Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books this year, 13 Nov. 2014
The girl with all the gifts was certainly one of my favourite books this year. Many other reviewers already said that it will be difficult to review without spoiling anything. It plays in a dystopian world, but it has a new and refreshing take on the genre. The narrator is Melanie, a young girl in a boarding school that seems more like a prison. And then the story changes.
I loved the book. While it was dystopian, it did not feel like a usual dystopian novel; I believe anyone who likes modern fiction would enjoy this.

Frans Lanting. Penguin
Frans Lanting. Penguin
by Frans Lanting

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguin photography, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Frans Lanting. Penguin (Hardcover)
Very lovely book for anyone who likes penguins. It's a photography book, so there is very little text, it's all about the beautiful photographs.

Anna Dressed in Blood
Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for younger readers!, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Anna Dressed in Blood (Paperback)
This book is a YA novel, but definitely not for younger readers (a sticker says as much on the back of the book). It has a lot of deaths, some of which quite gruesome, and implies some other more mature themes that should not be read by a young audience.
But I do think it's a great book for the slightly older YA reader, as well as adults who enjoy some YA. It is a YA paranormal romance, about ghosts and a ghost hunter.
While the way the ghosts worked in this world didn't make complete of sense to me, I still enjoyed the story very much. There was a good mix of romance and actual ghost hunting action.

Landline
Landline
by Rainbow Rowell

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet read, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Landline (Hardcover)
I really do like Rainbow Rowell's books. I first read Eleanor & Park, still one of my favourite books to this day, and made my way through all her books, not that many just yet, until waiting for landline to finally come out and ordering & reading it straight away.
Landline is a very sweet enjoyable read. I found a lot more meaning in Eleanor & Park, and Landline won't quite make it to my all times favourites list compared to that. And yes, it's just a sweet book. And yes, effectively it's a story of how Georgie balances her career with her family. But I love Rowell's writing style and easy prose, which makes this book a very easy and enjoyable read.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
by Claire North

2.0 out of 5 stars The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, 21 Oct. 2014
I just love time-travel/fantasy books. The concept here is brilliant and something I usually enjoy very much. Without spoilers:
Harry August relives his life. Every time he dies, he is born again. On the same day in the same place to the same circumstances; but with full awareness of all the lives he lives before.
He soon finds he is not the only one and spends his lives with other people of his ilk.
The concept is great; and the book started off really interesting, just going into the first few lives.
But the execution soon became rather boring. Firstly, the story got a little confusing as there was little to tie the different stories from the different lives into chronological order; but mostly the actual plot was, for my taste, too interspersed with ideological ramblings about the meaning of such a life and the moralities of it. What do you do with it. Of course, these thoughts absolutely have a place in such a book, but in this execution I'm afraid I was just a little bored. In the end, the story didn't go anywhere for me and I put the book aside about 2/3rds of the way through.
In terms of concept- I much more enjoyed Atkinson's Life after life. Same principle, but more of a novel with the morality side of things better incorporated into the actual lifetimes and the plot, rather than delivered through what felt like lectures.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 8:26 AM BST

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Someone told me that SJ Watson did a creative writing course and wrote this novel as his debut coming out of that. I didn't check if that is actually true or not, but I like this as a side story about the book.
Without giving anything away: Christine has amnesia. The type of amnesia that prevents her short term memory from transferring into long term memory. So every morning she wakes up without any knowledge of the past back into her 20s. As she struggles every day anew to form a more or less normal life with the help of her husband Mark and her psychiatrist Dr Nash, she soon finds that all is not as it seems and she learns that she can't know who to trust.
That much is on the cover, so I haven't said anything new here.
I find the subject matter quite fascinating, and it makes you think how you would cope if you or a significant other was such afflicted. The realisation of the subject matters has also been very weel done, I very much enjoyed the way the story was told and how diary entries were interspersed.
I don't often read thrillers, but when I do it is not often that I don't know the outcome until the end. I really couldn't guess at the solution. Well, I guessed a lot, but they were all wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4