Profile for A. Lee > Reviews

Content by A. Lee

A. Lee (Glasgow, Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Epic (The Avatar Chronicles)
Epic (The Avatar Chronicles)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, flawed execution, 15 Sept. 2017
What Kostick has here is the makings of a great idea, but unfortunately the execution was a little lacking. His writing style is serviceable but definitely not a prosaic masterpiece or anything even close to it - but I can forgive that, I've given five stars to many books where the writing isn't actually great. What I can't forgive in this book is two things - one, the lack of any REAL conflict, you never at any point feel like the character's aren't going to find some way to resolve their problem with minimum loss, and Erik himself - a supposed genius at the game and constantly acclaimed as being one of the best - never really displays this. The second issue I have lies in the worldbuilding, HOW did this world come to use Epic as its means of running the world. There are so many examples of telling instead of showing, and many time I just felt sad that it was a lost opprtunity.

It was still a fun read, and I'd imagine most people will enjoy it, but it could have been so much more.

Wolf Den
Wolf Den

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant, 16 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Wolf Den (MP3 Download)
Leah McFall has one of those voices that is instantly memorable and recognisable. Skyrocketing to fame as a result of her performances of classic songs such as "I Will Survive", "Killing Me Softly", and "Lovin' You" on reality TV show "The Voice UK", her whistling falsetto and massive range promised a huge career ahead of her.

A disappointing debut single saw her album on Capitol scrapped, despite already being finished. For the last two years, McFall has been largely silent about the future of her music career. Until now.

Wolf Den is a complete triumph. It is everything that Home should have been: contemporary, fresh, exciting, and completely showcasing the beautiful vocals Leah has to offer. If the rest of her album is in a similar vein to this first single, we're in for a treat. Until then, listen to Wolf Den and revel in the fact that one of the best vocalists of her generation hasn't been cruelly sidelined by the industry before her career even started, after all.

Nod
Nod
by Adrian Barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed me from start to finish, 15 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Nod (Paperback)
The premise of this book has been covered time and time again in the countless other reviews for this novel - our protagonist, Paul, awakes one day to discover that everyone else seems to have lost the ability to sleep and that "Sleepers", as people like him are quickly dubbed, are vastly outnumbered and at threat by these "awakened humans". Despite the numerous reviews, though, I was moved to leave one of my own as well.

Barnes writing style seems to be polarizing based on the several reviews I've encountered since finishing this novel (which I picked up in my local waterstones on a whim earlier today and ravenously tore through its pages until I reached its conclusion), but I found it engaging. At times sparse, at times flowery prose - with pop culture references and nods to classic tales such as the Sword of Damocles, some people may find this to be self indulgent, but beneath all of that there also lies a fascinating study on a swiftly unravelling version of our own modern world, rooted firmly in Vancouver - focussing more on character and process, as opposed to the bangs and flashes of the more action-oriented apocalyptic tales many may be acustomed to in this genre.

The way the novel ends, also, may be a polarizing factor for many who reach the conclusion. It's taken me til now to forgive Barnes for it, but this is a book that will make you think,but also isn't too intelligent for its own good. Following the story's end, there's also a small essay from the author about his own parallels with Nod when compared to his battle with terminal cancer, which adds another layer to an already wonderfully woven story.

Recommended!

Joe Browns Men's Patchwork Paisley Casual Shirt, Multicoloured (A-Red/Blue), Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise!, 7 Sept. 2016
I got this shirt as a tribute to a friend of mine who used to wear weird and wonderful shirts in this vein, as this was the dress code for his funeral. Despite the somber reason for buying this shirt, I have to admit I really love it. I'm normally a medium and this was maybe slightly too big for me, would maybe consider going with a small if you're normally between the two sizes! Got many compliments on it in the times I've worn it and have begun to wear it more regularly than I'd ever have expected when I originally purchased it!

It's well made, hasn't lost any colour, faded, or had any loose threads yet and is definitely a fun addition to my wardrobe. Will definitely buy more Joe Browns shirts in the future. Recommended!

THE LION KING WEST END MUSICAL REPRODUCTION POSTER 16X12"
THE LION KING WEST END MUSICAL REPRODUCTION POSTER 16X12"

5.0 out of 5 stars Needn't have worried, 11 Dec. 2013
I bought this poster having come home from seeing the stage show in Edinburgh and realising - to my dismay - that I had forgotten to buy myself a poster from it.

I ordered this with some trepidation, knowing that it wasn't an official poster and being worried that it would be of poor quality or that it would be obvious that it wasn't an offical product. But at the low price, I decided it was worth a risk.

But when it arrived some days later, my fears were unfounded. It was delivered in a secure poster tube and when I unfurled it I was relieved to see that it looks exactly as advertised on here and printed on good quality poster paper. Doesn't look out of place on my wall in the slightest! Very happy with my purchase.

Just be careful with this size, it's the right size for what I wanted but it is quite small compared to some posters so check the measurements to ensure it's what you're after!

iZKABasics - High Speed HDMI to HDMI 1M Cable - 24K Gold Connectors - For Use With SKY HD, Blu-Ray, DVD, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Mini Computer, Philips, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Vizio, Sony, Apple TV, Plasma LCD LED HD TV, Virgin Box etc - Type A to Type A - 1.4V Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Life Time Warranty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe people pay so much!, 11 Jun. 2013
With electronic goods such as this, I always like to wait a few months before posting a review so as to look out for any mishaps or see if it stops working all of a sudden.

I've had this cable for a year now, having paid around £2 for it when I was quoted around £15 for the cheapest one in Maplin and other high street stores and I'm extremely happy to report that this cable does everything its more expensive equivalents do (I would know, having been silly enough to pay full price for some when I originally upgraded to HD) and at an amazing price too.

There are no degradations in picture quality, the cable won't - seemingly without reason - stop working within a few months of purpose and, as far as I can see, the more expensive cables offer no distinctive advantages over this. Next time I need an HD cable I'll definitely be getting another one of these.

Taken By a Stranger
Taken By a Stranger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Taken By a Stranger (Audio CD)
I first heard this song in the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest and fell in love. I'm not normally one to actually like any of the songs on these, instead choosing to watch it as a night's worth of trashy entertainment. But Lena's breathy vocals and electropop song proved to have a strong hook and left an impression lasting enough to convince me to buy this single. The other song present - That Again - shows an other side to the German songstress and I feel it is very complimentary to the main track.

I will say that - for the money this is being sold for - you would be as well buying the album "Good News" from which both of these songs are taken, as I paid the normal £2 or so that you'd pay for a single, rather than the £7 I see for it now.

Luna Lovegood's Wand - Harry Potter Noble Collection
Luna Lovegood's Wand - Harry Potter Noble Collection
Offered by Close Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 14 Jan. 2013
The detail and intricacy of this wand mean it is a visually stunning piece of Harry Potter memorabilia. This is a replica of Luna's second wand, the one which was made for her after the escape from Malfoy Manor. If you are in any doubt about whether or not this is worth the money, put it to the back of your mind.

The wand comes in a black slipcase with the name of the wand's owner (in this case, Luna) and then another red presentation case (styled to look like the Ollivanders box seen in the films) which contains the wand. The wand itself is beautifully detailled, and comes with a little golden stand with Luna's name attached.

A small word of warning though, although the shape of the wand is very durable, the wooden finish can chip if you're not careful, as was discovered when it fell off of a shelf one day.

Ravenclaw Scarf - Harry Potter
Ravenclaw Scarf - Harry Potter

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made, can be used as an every day scarf!, 14 Jan. 2013
I originally purchased this with the intention of it being used as part of a Halloween costume, but this scarf is great quality. Since Halloween it's been continued to be used as an everyday scarf and seems to be very durable, keeps you warm in the harsh Scottish winters too, so clearly the makers worked hard to make it as close to its intended cinematic purpose as possible!

Very durable and a proper scarf as opposed to a simple toy, I would recommend this to any Harry Potter fans. Good as a collectible or for a Harry Potter fan looking for a cool scarf!

Harry Potter Tie - Necktie - By Cinereplicas - Micro Fibra (Ravenclaw)
Harry Potter Tie - Necktie - By Cinereplicas - Micro Fibra (Ravenclaw)
Offered by cyberlutin

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made, looks the part, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought this tie for a friend who was dressing as Luna Lovegood for Halloween. For the premium price being paid, the expectations on this were high, but it certainly delivered. The tie is beautifully made, you can tell upon feeling it that quality material was used and it matches up with the ties seen in the films.

If you want this to wear, or as part of a costume. I'd definitely recommend it. It's now 3 months on from Halloween and it still looks brand new. This is well worth paying a little extra for!

Page: 1 | 2